Scaled targets for smallbore rifle training?

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

mszczyrek

Scaled targets for smallbore rifle training?

Post by mszczyrek »

Hello guys,

I just started training prone, but have no access to a proper 50m range. The one I use is a pistol one - 25m long... Is there any way I could reduce target black/ring sizes so I could at least approximate my results? I'm using air pistol target as a aiming mark at the moment...

Best regards,
Michal
higginsdj

Re: Scaled targets for smallbore rilfle training?

Post by higginsdj »

Download and install the SCATT software (it's free) and use it's Tools option to select the target you want, define the distance you shoot over and it will print a scaled target for you.

Cheers

David
David Levene

Re: Scaled targets for smallbore rilfle training?

Post by David Levene »

I believe that the Scatt software will only give you a correctly sized black for visual purposes.

As far as I know it wont give you correctly sized scoring rings for live firing at a reduced distance. It isn't just a case of reducing the black and rings in the same proportion as the distance, you also have to take into account the fact that the projectile is still the same size.

You would need to take the diameter of the scoring ring at the correct 50m distance, add the diameter of the bullet, divide by 2 and then deduct the diameter of the bullet to give the correct ring size for 25m.
DavePat

Re: Scaled targets for smallbore rifle training?

Post by DavePat »

Abi

Post by Abi »

How about the USA50 target at 50ft.
conradin

Post by conradin »

SCATT, also there is a 50 ft conversion target which is pretty common because a lot of indoor ranges are 50 ft in length.
mszczyrek

Post by mszczyrek »

Thanks for all Your help, I have a target ready :) I used Targetexpress, there is a problem with its scale function though - it doesn`t take account of the bullet caliber. I calculated ring sizes manually and used the target wizard option.

Michal
Johan_85

Post by Johan_85 »

The center of the target is still in the center of the target even if the scoring rings are not correct. If you get the holes in the middle the score will will be good when you get to a range with correct distance and targets. The important thing is that the aiming mark is the correct size.
spektr

Post by spektr »

Buy National Targets TQ-2..... 75 foot smallbore rifle Targets. It's got the NRA stamps on it and quite cheap....