sight picture

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

peashooter

sight picture

Post by peashooter »

When I aim and look at my front sight it seems that it is not an even shape - the outer is not even thickness. I thought about this and I wondered if it was because the rear sight is at a different height to the front sight. I made a few measurements and calculated how much it is out of line , then shimmed the front sight to angle it slightly. Result = better picture. My question is does anyone concern themselves with this?
Rover

Re: sight picture

Post by Rover »

If they don't, they should.

BTW Astigmatism will make your sights look "odd."
Tim S

Post by Tim S »

Peashooter,

if you're asking whether anyone has tilted the foresight tunnel to ensure it's exactly straight to the line of sight, then the answer is probably no. I don't know of anyone who has tried it. Here in the UK, we shoot at 25 yards, 50m, and 100 yards, so it would mean three separate foresight angles.

But if it helps your shooting, why not.

If you did mean the foresight ring itself, then as Rover suggested, an optician can prescribe a lens to correct for astigmatism.
peashooter

Post by peashooter »

I do have astigmatism but that is corrected. The shape change is anyway different to what I associate with astigmatism - its more about the thickness of the ring - thinner at top compared to the bottom. I'm pretty sure what I see is due to the rearsight sightline not being on the same line as the tunnel. The tunnel is quite long - centra duo, but don't know if that makes a difference.
mobarron

Post by mobarron »

I've never talked with any shooter who noticed what you are seeing and this includes shooters who regularly make rear sight elevation changes of 20 to 40 minutes. It's probably an eye problem but if you've fixed it so that you can concentrate on the aperture's inner ring, don't worry about it. Mike
Barron
patriot

Post by patriot »

It sounds like it is out of alignment. I invented a glare filter for the 30mm front sights; a filter with the center cut out for full light on the bull. When several friends tried it they complained the center was out of alignment. But when they rotated the filter the white sliver on one side didn't move. It was their sight that was cockeyed, something they had never noticed.

Mark
gwsb

Post by gwsb »

Don't know how your front is mounted on the barrel or if it is a factory barrel but if you have a block mounted sight, the screw holes that mount the sight block could be not in alignment with the bore.