Anschutz Super Match 54

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

conradin

Anschutz Super Match 54

Post by conradin »

So I decided to get myself, finally, a .22lr match rifle. Instead of paying over $2k for a modern left handed rifle, for less than $900 I found myself buying a 1962 Anschütz Super Match 54 with a leftie stock that has a modified bolt that made it into almost a 100% a leftie.
Right side Bolt modified to be used by the left hand.  Bolt goes underneath the stock from the right side, then turns back up appaering on the left.
Right side Bolt modified to be used by the left hand. Bolt goes underneath the stock from the right side, then turns back up appaering on the left.
I have several questions concerning the Anschütz Super Match 54 in particular:
1. Is it true that prior to the mid 70s, there is simply NO true left handed rifles (Left stock, Left Action, Case Ejection to the Left, Left Bolt..etc)? Or did Anschütz only make custom ordered left handed rifles? Also when did they begin to mass manufacture left handed models? Is my rifle (left stock, right action, right bolt modified to the left, case ejection to the right) the most common type of rifle left handed shooters use? Also was the modified bolt an item one ordered from the factory, or something at the time that you needed a gunsmith to make you one?
2. How many types of left hand stock did Anschütz make for the 54 during the 1960s? For example, did they make a prone stock, a bench stock, in addition to a regular?
3. Many people told me that they can dry fire the 54 without a snap cap with no damage done, is that true? A friend of mine suggested me to switch between the functioning firing pin to an intentionally blunted and shortened firing pin for dry fire practice.
4. I plan to use mid grade ammo. Are RWS Target, Eley Club, and CCI SV the usual good ones?

I also have one question concerning training:
For this type of old rifle (or maybe even applying to modern small bore target rifle), what is the typical dry fire to live fire ratio? Does it matter which position you use? My primarily concern is kneeling.

Finally one question concerning accessories:
IIRC Spirit Level is allowed for all three positions. Where should this spirit level be placed? I have seen Gehmann made one that fits your front sight perfectly. The rifle does not come with one. Do they use the spirit level in the 60s, or is it a later addition? Spirit level is used in match crossbow since the 1950s.

Thanks in advance.
Last edited by conradin on Tue Dec 09, 2014 11:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tim S

Re: Anschutz Super Match 54

Post by Tim S »

Vince,

1) As far as I'm aware, Anschutz began production of complete left-handed rifles, around 1980. Before this Anschutz made left handed stocks only, the bolt and sights were RH. I don't know whether these were made individually to order, or just in small runs; I would suspect the latter. Today most left-handed shooters will use a complete LH rifle whenever they can find one they can afford; however I have seen some LH-stock/RH bolt rifles.

2) Anschutz made LH Supermatch, Prone, and ISU standard stocks. They did not make any BR stocks until the 1990s.

3) The Match 54 can be dry fired without instantly damaging the firing pin or breech. However it's recommended to use a spend cartridge case, a plastic snap cap, or a shortened firing pin if you plan on dry firing regularly.

4) Those should work perfectly well while you learn. Until your aim/hold/and trigger release is within the bull, top grade ammo is largely a waste of money. Your rifle should chamber any commercial 40g lead Standard velocity/subsonic cartridge. Fouling in the barrel and breech can make it harder, but at normal levels should not prevent it; a thorough strip and clean of a used rifle is always sensible.

Dry firing - can be done in any position.

Accessories,

spirit levels have been used on match rifles since the 19th C. I see them mostly on the foresight (both front end or back end - it's doesn't matter), but you can get a level that clamps onto the front of the receiver.
jhmartin

Post by jhmartin »

Tim S wrote:3) The Match 54 can be dry fired without instantly damaging the firing pin or breech. However it's recommended to use a spend cartridge case, a plastic snap cap, or a shortened firing pin if you plan on dry firing regularly.
Go to your local home improvement store & get a package of #4 drywall anchors. Inexpensive and you can use them multiple times ... they eject just like a spent case too.
justadude

Post by justadude »

As for this left hand modification, this was typically done by a custom gunsmith for the owner. I think Gary Anderson might have pioneered the modification.

There were two ways of doing this, one the extended bolt handle that ran under the rifle, what you have and then later smiths would mill a opening on the left side of the receiver and attach a new bolt handle that operated in the reverse sense. A cleaner way of doing it.

As for ammo, as mentioned something "standard velocity" but for these rifles, target oriented, as you mentioned the less expensive lines of Eley and RWS, in the states also look for Wolf Match Target, pretty popular with the junior programs in my area.

Dude
BR1942

Post by BR1942 »

Conradin:

You can safetly dry firing your Match 54 without cartridge.
Close the bolt but not at all, let 15 degrees open and fire. The bolt will close without damaging the firing pin.

Many international shooters do it so.
justadude

Post by justadude »

@BR1942

And everyone else reading this thread.

Please do not use the cam on the bolt handle to "catch" the firing pin in dry firing. Sure you can do it once or twice but this is in essence hammering, with a sharp edge, on the cocking cam. Doing this repeatedly runs the risk of damaging the cam and hence the bolt handle assembly.

Damage the bolt handle on this rifle and it is whole lots of work to replace, assuming you can even get a bolt handle from this vintage rifle anymore.

Spent case, snap cap or #4 anchor is the way to go.

Dude
Ltdave

Post by Ltdave »

thats the EXACT same modification that Gary Anderson had on his rifle. its on display at the GA Air Rifle range at Camp Perry...
conradin

Post by conradin »

Gary Anderson 68 Olympics.
Gary Anderson 68 Olympics.
tufty

Post by tufty »

900 dollars for a 50 year old rifle seems really high,hope you checked the barrel and crown out,that L/H bolt conversion was quite common on fullbore target rifles converted from old military actions and seemed to work ok
BigAl

Post by BigAl »

tufty wrote:900 dollars for a 50 year old rifle seems really high,hope you checked the barrel and crown out,that L/H bolt conversion was quite common on fullbore target rifles converted from old military actions and seemed to work ok

Thats about average in the US, for a rifle that in the UK you could possibly pick up for £100 or less. But as there is virtually no restriction on purchasing in the US, there is a much stronger market. About ten years ago I bought a 1964 proofed 1411, making it as old as me, for my son to shoot with. This rifle cost me £50 from a fellow club member. I do not know where he got it from, but he got it for general plinking/LSR and realised it was not what he wanted. I think it was an ex club rifle, and very well used. I replaced the ejector, and the Anschutz service guys replaced the extractor and adjusted the headspace for me at Bisley. It is still quite capable of shooting possibles, although the 3 pound single stage trigger is not ideal. in the US many of these older Anschutz rifles end up in a Benchrest stock, or even a mildly converted prone stock, as they are considered one of the best options short of a full custom rig such as a Turbo or Hall.

Alan
conradin

Post by conradin »

They also serve as club or college team or class rifles. Colleges and Clubs do not buy new rifles until the old ones are beyond repair.
Don

Post by Don »

I am left handed. I have an Anschutz 1413 I purchased from Al Freeland in 1966 that originally had a left hand stock and right hand bolt. I also have an Anschutz standard rifle that I purchased in the early 1970s that originally had a left hand stock and right hand bolt. Both were converted to a left hand bolt by Bill Wiseman when he was an armorer at the U.S. Marine Corps Weapons Training Battalion, Quantico, VA, using a design that he developed for D. I. Boyd when Boyd was still shooting internationally for the Marines. When the bolt is closed the handle is up, and when the bolt is open the handle is down. This caued some interesting conversations with range officers.

I also have a Winchester Model 70 left hand bolt conversion attributed to Crayton Audett. So, custom conversions are out there. What you have looks like my recollection the the system that Gary Anderson used. Until relatively recently, things were complicated for left handed shooters. It is much easier to find a suitable left hand target rifle now.

Regards,
Don
conradin

Post by conradin »

Don, it would be lovely for education reason if you can post pictures of these designs you have just wrote about.
BR1942

Post by BR1942 »

justadude wrote:@BR1942

And everyone else reading this thread.

Please do not use the cam on the bolt handle to "catch" the firing pin in dry firing. Sure you can do it once or twice but this is in essence hammering, with a sharp edge, on the cocking cam. Doing this repeatedly runs the risk of damaging the cam and hence the bolt handle assembly.

Damage the bolt handle on this rifle and it is whole lots of work to replace, assuming you can even get a bolt handle from this vintage rifle anymore.

Spent case, snap cap or #4 anchor is the way to go.

Dude
With all due respect: the stroke of the needle (low mass) occurs on the cocking cam of the bolt handle (much heavier) with an inclination of 45 degrees.
So I do not think the process resembles hammering.

I agree with you that a spent case is the best solution but not the only