Gap size between Front and Rear aperture

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

uki

Gap size between Front and Rear aperture

Post by uki »

First of all - hello guys! My first post! :)

I'm cofused about space (gap) between rear and front sight light ring, what size should it be?
I know, I should keep the gap even on both sides, but can anyone give me advice how narrow/wide it must/should be?
I have old Walther LGM-2 with this aperture: http://www.shootingequipment.de/Visieru ... LG-KK.html. Stock (1mm hole I belive). No iris.

Thanks!
uki
Attachments
how narrow/wide it should be?
how narrow/wide it should be?
front.png (52.41 KiB) Viewed 1460 times
Walther LGM-2 & LPM-1
higginsdj

Re: Gap size between Front and Rear aperture

Post by higginsdj »

Simply put it is whatever works for you and the conditions in which you shoot. I have relativley small gaps all round because I have difficulty percieving how central the apertures are in relation to each other if the gaps are too big - ie my front ring varies from 3.0 to 3.2mm depending on lighting (the default on the rifle was 3.8mm). I move my rear sight forward and wind the iris size down to make the gap between edge of rear iris and front tunnel as small as I can (still can't match how small I have it on my fullbore rifle - but I use a 30mm tunnel on my fullbore rifle as opposed to the 22mm tunnel on the smallbore.

For example, in fullbore, I use a 5.3mm front ring size at 300m with a 0.5ee while others use a ring size > 6mm. People percieive things in different ways - our eyes are not the same so it comes down to what works for you. Trial and error based on various things such as group size, how well sight adjustments manifest to group movement around the target face etc.

Cheers

David
Ulrich Eichstädt

Post by Ulrich Eichstädt »

Even though it's only a trailer for his new book about Air rifle shooting (english version in January approx.), see here Coach Heinz Reinkemeiers clip:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pf4Ro6- ... e=youtu.be

More at https://www.facebook.com/heinz.reinkemeier?fref=ts
HWN1011

Post by HWN1011 »

Hi Uki

Rear sight opening of 1mm is what most people use. On a standard length barrel the foresight element will be around 3.8 or 3.9mm as a starting point. The actual measurement you asked for I doubt anyone will be able to give you because it's not something shooters really measure.
If you stick to the 0.9-1.1mm range for rear sight opening and 3.8-4.0mm for the foresight element you won't go far wrong.
Regarding the foresight element don't think that smaller is better it's not.

I can't help but feel that David's post was very confusing and he is probably the only person in the world with that sort of sight setup so I doubt any relevance to you.
uki

Post by uki »

Thanks for the reply guys!
My front aperture element is 6.0mm, because I shoot on 5m. This is max distance I'm able to shoot in my room+kitchen :(.
I guess I have to stick to the "even gaps". Still working on statics, trigger control, fist vs palm support etc.
Walther LGM-2 & LPM-1
higginsdj

Post by higginsdj »

Download the SCATT software and print out a new target to match the distance and match you are intending to shoot so you can properly set your ring and aperture sizes (assuming you are going to shoot beyond your kitchen!)

Cheers

David
batty

Post by batty »

This is an easy one!

The gap between the foresight and rear sight should be 1-2 times that of the white between the foresight and the foresight element!

Move the rearsight backwards and forwards whilst in position to change this ratio and find what works best for you