Smallbore coaches near Northern New Jersey

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

jjbduke2004

Smallbore coaches near Northern New Jersey

Post by jjbduke2004 »

Hello,

I'm mostly a High Power Service Rifle shooter looking to add NRA Match Rifle to my game. In preparation for this, I planned to buy a "beater" Match 54 to put in a stock/chassis that was similar to my match rifle.

I ended up with a beater 1411 (early 60s) and a 1978-vintage 1413 (X-barrel, 5071 trigger). I haven't had the chance to shoot them yet, and frankly, all of the adjustments (handstop position, comb height, LOP, buttplate position, etc.) on the free rifle are intimidating to someone used to conforming to a service rifle.

I live in Northwest NJ, am a member of Cherry Ridge Range (ANJRPC) and have a SCATT trainer. I'm willing to travel 2+ hours to find a coach who can help me set up the rifle and get started.

Any recommendations?

Thanks,
Jon
Peakconti

Re: Smallbore coaches near Northern New Jersey

Post by Peakconti »

I coach the juniors at the Plattsburgh Rod & Gun club, we are about 4 1/2 hours from you, we would be more than willing to help you out if you need to. But I am sure you can find someplace closer. Check out the Blue Trail Range in CT, they have an active program, that's a little closer, maybe the can assist you. Also if you contact Chuck Meyer of the NYS Rifle & Pistol Association, he might be able to help you find someone in the Albany NY area.

If you are looking for a league to compete in, perfect for beginners check out the VTWinter.PostalLeague.com it has shooters from all levels, all matches shot on your home range and cost just $6. They are on facebook.
corning

Post by corning »

Hi Jon. When I was actively shooting in the Hudson Valley, there was the Delaware and Hudson league shot at West Point. I thought there was a Cherry "something" team from NJ that competed in that league. I am not sure what the status of that league is now.

Have you tried any of your fellow club members for the setup help that you may need?

Since you haven't gotten any responses here, other than from Peter, you may want to try some other areas where competitors lurk. I would consider:

http://pronematch.com/

There are some facebook groups of competitive smallbore folks that may be able to steer you to some local coaches. I would look into AMERICAN SMALL BORE RIFLE LEAGUE:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/ACSBRL/

That facebook group is centered in Southern NJ, but I have seen names of shooters for PA, and other areas as well.

Good luck.

John
jjbduke2004

Post by jjbduke2004 »

Thanks to both of you for suggestions. CT may be an option. I'll try to look into it. I'm checking out the Facebook group I recognize at least one HP shooter from NJ on there.

My home range is owned by the state NRA association so lacks the local club feel. While smallbore and high power matches are occasionally held, there doesn't seem to be club teams or club practices. I'll try emailing the match directors for info.

As far as competitions, I may shoot some prone matches. Probably won't go into full on 3-P, I don't think my knees can take the Kneeling.

I should also ask if y'all know anyone on Long Island? My parents still live there so it's easy enough for me to get to and spend the night.
Peakconti

Post by Peakconti »

I grew up on Long Island, and learned to shoot as part of my H.S. Team, many moons ago. I know that the Roslyn Rifle Club and the Freeport Rifle Club both have active programs. Both have web sites. I think their is a club in Valley Streem too, they have produced many shooters but do not recall seeing a web site for them. Unfortunitly I do not know any specific names. Good luck. The Vermont Winter Postal League has a prone only division too if you are interested.
corning

Post by corning »

Jon,

You should take advantage of the opportunity to participate in the postal league that Peter is running. It will be a wonderful opportunity to "twiddle and fiddle" with your position fundamentals, and the rifle adjustments.

Although I have never shot service rifle, I have shot high power XTC (not any more), mid-range and long range prone, smalbore position (not any more) and smallbore prone. The fundamentals are the same, but the nuances are in taking the time to figure out the gun and adjustments and that is a personal thing from gun to gun.

Good luck!

John

PS: I saw you as a new member in the facebook group. You are shooting a Garand in that picture? Good for you! They are a fun gun to shoot. My brother is using my M1.
Last edited by corning on Wed Dec 03, 2014 10:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.
1813benny

Post by 1813benny »

Is Ridgewood close to your location?
jjbduke2004

Post by jjbduke2004 »

Peakconti wrote:I grew up on Long Island, and learned to shoot as part of my H.S. Team, many moons ago. I know that the Roslyn Rifle Club and the Freeport Rifle Club both have active programs. Both have web sites. I think their is a club in Valley Streem too, they have produced many shooters but do not recall seeing a web site for them. Unfortunitly I do not know any specific names. Good luck. The Vermont Winter Postal League has a prone only division too if you are interested.
My hometown HS had a rifle time (still does), unfortunately, I went to private school.
1813benny wrote:Is Ridgewood close to your location?
Close enough, 40 mins or so.

Actually, yesterday I forwarded my posting to three nearby match directors (Mandy, Carl, & Harry) on this schedule plus the director for the Cherry Ridge 3200 prone match figuring they'd know something. Mandy (Ridgewood and State Smallbore chair) replied first and said he'd help me if needed, but that Carl (Shongum and CMP State Junior Director) was closer to me. Carl also offered to help so we're working at setting something up.
corning wrote:PS: I saw you as a new member in the facebook group. You are shooting a Garand in that picture? Good for you! They are a fun gun to shoot. My brother is using my M1.
Yes that's my CMP Correct Grade Garand (Springfield, January 1955). I also have it's "twin:" a CMP forum tip in a serial number discussion led me to the gunbroker auction with an adjacent serial number.

The Garand can be fun to shoot, but the .30 cal recoil can punish you for using a poor position. There are position irregularities you can get away with when using the AR-15 Service Rifle, that the Garand will make evident. I've cleaned 200-yd rapid prone with a Garand but have trouble breaking 95 in slow fire.

I see that my fellow High Power shooters (Sylvester, Scandale, et. al) have already invaded the smallbore facebook group :-)
corning

Post by corning »

jjbduke2004 wrote:
I see that my fellow High Power shooters (Sylvester, Scandale, et. al) have already invaded the smallbore facebook group :-)
I haven't met them as I have not shot high power xtc in 25 years or so, however, they appear to have been bitten by the smallbore prone bug...
jjbduke2004

Post by jjbduke2004 »

I bumped into John Scandale once in 2011. I've known John Sylvester since July 2010. We've shot quite a few matches together in 2010, early 2011, and early 2014 (I had a couple years out of the sport). Both are moderators on the high power forum (nationalmatch.us http://www.usrifleteams.com/forums/ login required). There seems to have been a lot of recent interest on that site in building, buying & restoring smallbore rigs for prone competitions as well as indoor winter practice.
corning

Post by corning »

I comment/lurk over on the national match forum too. I watched them get hooked and pursue some rigs. Smallbore and high power are similar, but at the same time different, especially from a smallbore rifle to a service rile. A match rifle can at least have the same or a similar sight set up, giving the same/similar sight picture. I have always found that trigger control, and follow through are very different. Follow through is more crucial in smallbore (not that it is unimportant in high power). Trigger control...well, just think about how you may handle slow fire vs rapid fire. Have fun!
jjbduke2004

Post by jjbduke2004 »

Allow me to close this out:

On Sunday 12/14 Carl Erickson, Jr. helped me setup the 1613 rifle. I learned the basic adjustments and settings for the three positions and wrote them down.

On Saturday, 12/20 I shot an unsanctioned NRA-style 80 shot prone match in Guthsville, PA. It was a lot of fun, though I'm still sore.

Thanks to all those who contributed.
Mikey_P

Post by Mikey_P »

jjbduke2004 wrote:Allow me to close this out:

On Saturday, 12/20 I shot an unsanctioned NRA-style 80 shot prone match in Guthsville, PA. It was a lot of fun, though I'm still sore.

Thanks to all those who contributed.
Hey Jon - You're welcome! Glad that you enjoyed the match. See you in January.

Mike