Proper fit for precision air rifle

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

Dustin Clays

Proper fit for precision air rifle

Post by Dustin Clays »

So with all the adjustments on precision air rifles, where is the best place to start tweaking the rifle to fit the shooter?

I know there's infinite variables, but where should I start?
Head/cheek piece? Sights/apertures? grip/trigger? Butt-plate?
Is it best to do many changes all at once- or gradual moves (tweak-shoot-record the change/tweak-shoot-record)?

Are there any good books/publications that teach/show this in detail (with pictures, description of what adjustment does what, etc...)? Or a web site devoted to it?

I am an entry level jr coach sp I am learning while I attempt to coach. currently I have a 2 juniors shooting International Air and are consistently shooting 520/600. Both have the basic gear: pants/jacket/boots/glove/visor. Shooting club guns (Walther LG30 JR). Or is it just time to upgrade rifles?

thanks-
justadude

Re: Proper fit for precision air rifle

Post by justadude »

The book that has everything is Air Rifle Shooting published my MEC. Lots of information there but quite dense.

The NRA used to have a book that covered the basics of developing positions but their website is so convoluted now I can't find it or a link to it.

Assuming you are working 3P air, you have the challenge of different settings for each position. To the end, find a happy medium for the sights and leave them in one place for now. Depending on age you can, probably should adjust length of pull on the stock but have most of the butt settings pretty neutral, not angled or offset to one side so you can pretty much just move the butt up and down between positions. Likewise with the forend, don't get too fancy, forward and back is fine in the beginning.

Once you have a basic position built, you usually make changes 1 at a time so you can tell if something helped or hurt.

Between positions you will likely need to move the cheekpiece up and down some for best comfort, avoid getting into moving it side to side very much.

Assuming standard 10m targets a front aperture of 4.3 to 4.5 is a good place to start. As hold improves may go down to a 4.1. Smaller than that is likely too tight.

Good Luck
'Dude