Bullet trap for 3p smallbore?

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

IPshooter

Bullet trap for 3p smallbore?

Post by IPshooter »

Can anyone suggest a favorite bullet trap for 3p smallbore at 50 feet?

TIA
Joe Bhonn

Re: Bullet trap for 3p smallbore?

Post by Joe Bhonn »

I bought a SNAIL bullet trap for shooting smallbore in an enclosed A/C room inside my attic. It made of heavy grade steel designed for rimfire ammo. A target is placed in front of the 16"x16" opening and the projectile passes through the target and enters into a circular chamber diminishing its speed until it drops to the bottom. After the room was built and A/C, I had surgery in both shoulders and can no longer hold a rifle (only pistol shooting). I was unable to use it. If you can find one, should work well for prone, sitting, kneeling or standing (use a table or saw horses). If you are interested in what I have, I can send pictures. Regards, Joe
conradin

Post by conradin »

Joe Bhonn wrote:I bought a SNAIL bullet trap for shooting smallbore in an enclosed A/C room inside my attic. It made of heavy grade steel designed for rimfire ammo. A target is placed in front of the 16"x16" opening and the projectile passes through the target and enters into a circular chamber diminishing its speed until it drops to the bottom. After the room was built and A/C, I had surgery in both shoulders and can no longer hold a rifle (only pistol shooting). I was unable to use it. If you can find one, should work well for prone, sitting, kneeling or standing (use a table or saw horses). If you are interested in what I have, I can send pictures. Regards, Joe
Excellent idea about the trap...I learn something new everyday. I never thought of something that can be done in an ice-cream cone design. I'll check it out.
I hope your healing will continue, perhaps you can do some bench rest position?
James Storm

Post by James Storm »

I have a Bullet Bunker trap which uses a rubber medium to quietly stop each shot and trap any debris. I am willing to sell it to you as I am no longer using it. If you are interested, contact me at jamesestormmd@yahoo.com
IPshooter

Post by IPshooter »

Thanks for all of the replies, but I should have specified that I was looking for info on currently available commercial traps.

If anyone has any more recommendations, please let me know.

Thanks,

Stan
Joe Bhonn

Post by Joe Bhonn »

Stan, the company that acquired the snail products now only manufactures commercial ($10,000+). Same principal, just larger and much more pricy than mine. Use for indoor, night time or foul weather smallbore standing, kneeling, sitting or prone practice. As I no longer shoot smallbore, if you are interested in acquiring mine, you can post a "want to buy" and I will respond with pictures and we can go from there. Regards, Joe
mobarron

Post by mobarron »

A do-it-yourself solution is a plywood box 12" to 14" deep, open in front and on top, wide enough for one or two targets and 6" or so higher than the top of the standing target. Cover the front with conveyer belt material and then fill the box with the rubber landscaping material (cut up tires) available from garden stores. We used a similar setup at our 50' high school range and found it would stop .22rf bullets (and even a .223). Depending on how much you practice the conveyor belt face will probably last you 3 to 5 years. Mike Barrron