Breaking In and Cleaning a New Anschutz Barrel

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

TomJ

Breaking In and Cleaning a New Anschutz Barrel

Post by TomJ »

Good Morning - Although my question pertains to an Anschutz 1712 Silhouette rifle, I thought that the experienced shooters on this forum would be able to answer my question. I'm not a new shooter, but am purchasing my first "real good rifle" an Anschutz 1712 and want to make sure that I do everything right to preserve its accuracy. My questions are: 1) How do you clean a barrel for the first time, e.g. solvent and a patch, clean patch only? 2) How and at what frequency do you clean the barrel? I clean (use a Patchworm and patch soaked with Kroil) my rimfire Bullseye gun about every 800-1,000 rounds. I've recently read where some silhouette shooters clean the barrel with just a clean patch. Finally, do you have any idea how sensitive the 1712 is to adjusting the torque on the bedding screws? I'd appreciate your experience. Thanks, Tom
Tim S

Re: Breaking In and Cleaning a New Anschutz Barrel

Post by Tim S »

That's a can o'worms. Few subjects cause more disagreement than how and when to clean a barrel.

Anschutz recommend dry patches/wicks after each session, periodically backed up by a thorough clean with solvent and bronze brush. They recommend a thorough clean more frequently during the first 5,000 rounds (or was it 10,000), as the newly cut throat may attract lead.

Really it's up to you and your barrel. Cleaning thoroughly (with solvent and brush) after each session will not harm the barrel providing you take adequate care to prevent the rod contacting the bore (a good rod guide and a quality rod make it much easier). But not all barrels need to be cleaned this thoroughly, and the first few shots afterwards may be erratic, until the bore is sufficiently refouled. So some/many shooters will dry patch (or wet patch) the barrel soon after shooting as this removes the primer residue, and much of the pwder/bullet grease, but reduces or even removes the need to shoot fouling shots. Removing the primer debris is worthwhile as it hardens as it cools and can abrade the bore. Depending on the barrel a though clean is still needed periodically to remove any lead or stubborn deposits from the rifling grooves; every 1,000 rounds seems common, but it depends on the barrel, some go for longer, and others need it sooner. A really good barrel with a very smooth internal finish is likely to foul less and need less frequent intensive cleaning than a barrel with a rougher bore.

However often you clean the bore, I'd suggest doing so at a set interval; don't wait until you see a deterioration in accuracy. There is a chance that this will happen at a competition, just when you need accuracy the most.
rotor

Re: Breaking In and Cleaning a New Anschutz Barrel

Post by rotor »

I am an Anschütz 1913 Precise user for more than 2 years. In my opinion, the cleaning cycle depends on your shooting periods. When my rifle was too new; I wasn't cleaning the bore after the final training day session before a competition. I was leaving the session when i have enough accuracy for the competition, thus cleaning the bore changes all the inner ballistic values. But, i was cleaning the barrel after the competition because i travel a long way and was not practicing with live firing for at least 2 weeks.
So, even a daily shooter who shoots at least 50-100 rounds everyday with a brand new Anschütz doesn't have to clean the barrel. But if you shoot 50 rounds, put the rifle in its case and shoot some rounds after a week, well..then i suggest to put it in its case with a clean bore.
The above suggestion is also right, the brand new smallbore firearms need much cleaning at the beginning of their life cycle. If you don't plan to shoot a long period, you must hide the rifle from humidity. The cleaning rod must be a precise one (mine is from brass) and it must be avoided to contact with the bore. I use a special light solution and clean patches, you said you're not a new shooter so no need to tell the procedure:)
About the torqs of the screws. I have the original Anschütz torque wrench (given with the brand new rifle) and my manual tells me how much force should be applied.
Hope this helps.