FWB 300S - Refurbish after 30 years storage - question

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

AmBraCol

FWB 300S - Refurbish after 30 years storage - question

Post by AmBraCol »

Howdy, folks. A friend's mother passed away a while back. He and his brother are interested in resurrecting her old guns. I'd gone through the Modell 65 and Modell 2 to get a parts list, but then he broke out the Modell 300S. It, unlike the pistols, was stored well greased. The outside will be easy as it will be a matter of simply wiping down and cleaning up. The internals is where my question lays.

Looking over the parts diagram, it would appear that only the following parts are likely to need changing - due to deterioration. There was a 1500.11.3 seal in the box with the rifle, but it was brittle and got tossed. So, the following are the only seals in the system, correct? Does the 300S require any specific lube like the Modell 65 does?

1500.121.3 - sealing ring
1500.127.3 - buffer
1500.128.3 - sealing

Thanks!
I'm a peaceful man and prefer the pursuit of peaceful sports.  The shooting sports tend to promote self control and are peaceably participated in by those who know that their greatest challenge is their need to continually hone their own abilities.
AmBraCol

Re: FWB 300S - Refurbish after 30 years storage - question

Post by AmBraCol »

Had a phone call come in while posting that, so here's a bit more on the subject.

I've done basic cleanups on other spring powered rifles before and see nothing (so far) different about the 300S. Other than careful cleaning and lubing, is there anything that needs to be addressed on these old rifles? I found a good video on YouTube on taking one apart and then putting it back together, it looked pretty straight forward and obvious. So far I've not put a screw driver to anything on this rifle as I wanted to ask here before proceeding in case there was something that needs special attention.

Thanks for any feedback on this. It is greatly appreciated.
I'm a peaceful man and prefer the pursuit of peaceful sports.  The shooting sports tend to promote self control and are peaceably participated in by those who know that their greatest challenge is their need to continually hone their own abilities.
Wynne G Oldman

Post by Wynne G Oldman »

You will need a repair kit, as the buffer stop will have almost certainly degraded on one of these at this age. Also, buy a tube of Feinwerkbau special grease, while you're at it, and apply a very thin coating of it to the piston when you rebuild the rifle. Once the rifle has been rebuilt, there is no need for further lubrication.

http://foest.eu/index.php?language=en&m ... ucts_id=39

http://foest.eu/index.php?main_page=pro ... cts_id=203

There is this step by step guide here.

http://s699.photobucket.com/user/cones_ ... t=9&page=1

And also a vid of the procedure.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nimz5d8RERQ

I have done this myself, and it's not that difficult. The rifle shot like new afterwards. Good luck.
Morini 162 EI
Anschutz 1913 Supermatch
AmBraCol

Post by AmBraCol »

Thanks, Wynne!

That's pretty much what I'd figured out, wasn't sure if the 300S required the "special grease" like the Modell 65 does. Is this something like what Maccari sells as "Super Moly Paste"? Also, that tube they sell should do for more than one rifle and/or pistol, right? I'm putting together a parts list for my friend and don't want to double up on anything that is not necessary, such as two tubes of grease if one will do the trick.

Thanks for the feedback! (that's the video I found earlier, shows it's pretty straight forward - but wanted to check and see if there was anything else one should look for)
Wynne G Oldman

Post by Wynne G Oldman »

That tube of grease will last for many years. You only apply the slightest amount, and it won't need any more until you rebuild the rifle again, in another 30 years or so. I forgot to mention that you should apply a little bit on the 3 action slide pins and the cocking lever pivot as well. Good luck.
Morini 162 EI
Anschutz 1913 Supermatch
Packrat1947

Re: FWB 300S - Replacement seals

Post by Packrat1947 »

Here's a good place to get the seals in one place. I just got a kit a few weeks ago for my 300S U. Lots of folks buy from him as he stocks the latest items.

The 300 is very easy to take down and rebuild, and there are plenty of tutorials out there. I used a thick moly grease (60%) for the steel piston ring.

Packrat1947

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Feinwerkbau-Mod ... 4d25c91ac9
If man could be crossed with the cat it would improve man, ....but it would deteriorate the cat." - Mark Twain Notebook, 1894
AmBraCol

Post by AmBraCol »

Thanks, guys. The info is greatly appreciated.