muzzle jump right

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

redschietti

muzzle jump right

Post by redschietti »

Changed guns with my daughter and now her muzzle jump goes right in prone. Haven't fiddled with it much, but a couple things we tried didn't seem to work. She says it comes back to center and the groups are good. She has shot multiple 400s (NRA target) in prone so she isn't a bad prone shooter. I not looking for THE answer. Just a list of things to look at and try.
Tim S

Re: muzzle jump right

Post by Tim S »

Red,

one answer is that, so long as the recoil impulse is consistent, and scores are good, leave it alone. Providing your daughter can live with the sideways movement, and can still call her shots properly, it may just be one of those things.

But if you (or she) do want a 12 o'clock recoil, I'd be thinking of looking at the lateral position of the butt, and cheekpiece, that is assuming the sling tension is good. If the rifle is a little too near/far from her (because the butt offset is too great/little) she may be tensing slightly to bring the rifle onto aim. Cant and height of the plate could also be in the mix. There could well be other causes (sling tensionand trigger release come to mind), but I think the position of the buttplate relative to the stock is a good place to start.
redschietti

Post by redschietti »

Offsetting the butt seems to have helped but not eliminated. Shorter and faster recoil. We will keep playing with it. Not much time to shoot live at the moment. THANKS as always
rotor

Post by rotor »

Hi,

Totally agree with Tim. If the recoil pattern is not too much to the right and your daughter follows through the same recoil pattern at each shot which lasts at the same place, (and assuming the shot is at where she guesses) let her keep shooting that way.

But what if you want a north pattern. Again, agree with Tim about the buttplate. Here are some additions. You must be "totally behind" the rifle. Decrease the angle of the position, i mean set the position as parallell as you can according to aiming line. Place the buttplate in a position very near to the neck. Place the left elbow at the rightmost place which shooter still feels herself comfortable. The handstop and sling must be precisely adjusted to have the most comfortable position and for avoiding pulse jumps. Briefly, build the position right behind the rifle. This will generate a north recoil pattern.

But, will that makes the shooter feel comfortable like her previous position. Does she score much? As soon as the recoil movement is small, i think it is not important at which direction it is travelling. The common rule is, it must be
a short pattern and it must be the same pattern begins at the perfect aiming picture and lasts at the very same place.

Hope this helps.