Small bore rifle value

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

SRay53txtn

Small bore rifle value

Post by SRay53txtn »

I recently did some trading to acquire a small bore rifle to improve my mid & long range prone game. Kind of new at this and was looking for something that I could use for practice and some small bore matches (hopefully).
I won't go into too much detail on the trade, however, trying to find a value of the rifle and thought someone here might know (of course hoping I did not get stung too hard), When I saw it I couldn't help myself - I'm a little weak:
Anschutz 2007/2013 Standard
Stainless barrel (Champions Choice stamp on underside of barrel), very low round count, bolt looks almost new.
Last edited by SRay53txtn on Wed Feb 18, 2015 11:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
TerryKuz

Re: Small bore rifle value

Post by TerryKuz »

With the pelican case and 7020 sights, it would total about 3000 new. So usually 3/4 the new price would be a good deal I guess. Generally that type of stock is not preferred for prone by most guys.
SRay53txtn

Post by SRay53txtn »

I have a gunsmith friend that will shape the stock more to my Palma tube rifle profile. Based on that $ assessment looks like it was an ok trade. Since I'm going to keep and shoot it, should be a good learning tool.

Thanks for info!
Tim S

Post by Tim S »

Regarding shaping the fore-end, bear in mind that some Anschutz xx07 rifles made since the '80s have a lot of wood removed from the fore-end. The older 1960s and '70s models were pretty much solid timber at the front, but the later models were heavily routed out to change the balance. I don't know about the 2007, but there may not be enough wood to reduce the depth of the fore-end significantly (to prone gun standard).
SRay53txtn

Post by SRay53txtn »

Appreciate the heads-up, I'll have him confirm that before he proceeds.
Wonder if I'd be better off selling the stock and putting that capitol toward a precise stock?
Thank you!
SRay53txtn

Post by SRay53txtn »

Tim S wrote:Regarding shaping the fore-end, bear in mind that some Anschutz xx07 rifles made since the '80s have a lot of wood removed from the fore-end. The older 1960s and '70s models were pretty much solid timber at the front, but the later models were heavily routed out to change the balance. I don't know about the 2007, but there may not be enough wood to reduce the depth of the fore-end significantly (to prone gun standard).
Tim S,
You were correct on the reshaping issue. When I arrived at my gunsmith shop, he pulled the action and the hand rail and looked at what was required to trim it in a straight line back to trigger area and round edges, he concluded that there was too much wood removed in the fore end area in manufacturing process for this type stock.
So I contacted Alex Sittman at Master Class stocks and am having him setup one of his 90% stocks with Adjustable cheek and butt plate. I looked at the precise stock, just too much of an expense on my limited budget.
Even toyed with the idea of selling this and getting the precise rifle, however, think I need to slow down and shoot this for a season, since it's my first run at small bore.
Thanks
Steve