Making your own Adjustable cheek piece for a smallbore rifle

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

dc.fireman

Making your own Adjustable cheek piece for a smallbore rifle

Post by dc.fireman »

Hello all - just as the title suggests - have you ever done this? If so, what material did you use, and why? How'd it turn out in relation to your original idea?
dc.fireman

Re: Making your own Adjustable cheek piece for a smallbore r

Post by dc.fireman »

Bob - thanks for the heads-up! It's not quite what I'm looking for, but those posts are definitely something which I'll refer back to in a few hours.

After scanning the internet for various replacement cheek pieces for the FWB, I've decided to hack up a $7.00 plastic cutting board. I'll then epoxy the strips of cutting board together vertically. My plan is to drill several 3/8" holes, and embed the M8 thread coupling nuts into the underside. A little bit of shaping, and it should work fairly well.
Tim S

Post by Tim S »

Fireman,

do you just mean making a replacement for the wooden part of an adjustable cheekpiece? Really any bit of wood that's roughly the right shape will work. For my old 1813 stock I think I used various offcuts of softwood. I think the cheekpiece on my Gemini was cut from a block of rubberwood, but there is a lot of epoxy and plastic wood, so it's hard to tell. I prefer to build up the contact edge into roughly the right shape, and then sand down to fit.
Bob Smalser

Post by Bob Smalser »

Just don't do anything irreversible to your stock before you insure you gave a good glue bond on your plastic....which is unlikely. Mechanical fasteners are a better choice. There are so many plastic formulations that bonding them in the absence of a purpose-made glue like modeling cement on polystyrene is a stab in the dark. High-cyano content glues like PL Premium Construction Adhesive are a better choice than epoxy for guessing.
Bob
timinder

Post by timinder »

I've made one for my Walther GX-1 from a length of aluminium angle, a couple of bolts and a piece of self-adhesive foam.
It's really, really ugly (as everyone in my club keeps telling me) . But it works quite well.
I made it because the original wooden one was way too wide for me to get my head in behind the sight without tilting my head right over and I didn't want to butcher the original.

One day I might make a nicer-looking one, but it's fine for now.
abinok

Post by abinok »

http://www.kmwlrs.com/LoggerHead_ACP_Hardware

I've been enjoying using this hardware. For those like me who are still shooting and converting older wood stocked rifles, its worth a look.