Which rifle should I get?

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

Username

Which rifle should I get?

Post by Username »

Hello guys!

I've been shooting with a Anschutz 8001 (I think) for a few years at the club I go to. I have a Diana 460 magnum that I practice with at home but now I want to get a real competition air rifle. The four brands that our coming on my cross-hairs (I'm sorry) are Walther, Feinwerkbau, Steyr and Anschutz.

I can spend up-to $3000, what gun do you recommend?
Rover

Re: Which rifle should I get?

Post by Rover »

This has got to be a troll.
Username

Post by Username »

Rover wrote:This has got to be a troll.
Why?
45ACP223

Post by 45ACP223 »

Username wrote:Hello guys!

I've been shooting with a Anschutz 8001 (I think) for a few years at the club I go to. I have a Diana 460 magnum that I practice with at home but now I want to get a real competition air rifle. The four brands that our coming on my cross-hairs (I'm sorry) are Walther, Feinwerkbau, Steyr and Anschutz.

All four of the brands you listed would be good choices. As far as models, it all depends on what your passion is…..ie. basement practice, club shoots, or AP matches. If you are just looking for something good quality to practice or shoot club shoots, I would recommend a FWB 600 series used SSP rifle for $500-700. You will get lots of recommendations here so give a few more details and they will come.
Rover

Post by Rover »

I take it back. Good advice from 45ACP223.
redschietti

Post by redschietti »

I don't think somebody shooting a 8001 will be happy with a SSP 600. I have been to most of the national level air matches the last few years and have yet to see a ssp on the line.
45ACP223

Post by 45ACP223 »

Here we go again…….calling Rover! Seriously, he's only shot at his club so far. Until we find out what his shooting goals are, it's a crap shoot to recommend anything. That said, the 600 series are fine competition air rifles for the run of the mill shooter.
PatrickS916

Post by PatrickS916 »

Personally, after shooting an 8002 for a while, I wasn't a huge fan of the Anschutz air rifles. They aren't as comfortable and easy to shoot as others I have used, like Feinwerkbau (FWB) and Walther air rifles. I personally think the side cocking on the 8002/9003 actions aren't the most comfortable to use in my opinion, but the 2002CA is a good rifle, except it doesn't have dry firing, which is a major drawback. Walther makes a good rifle, as does Feinwerkbau. I have the FWB 800X and it is very good, but the plain 800 or 700 are still very good. I can't give you much of an opinion on Steyrs but they are used on the top level and I think hold the world record (don't quote me on it though). Most people will say here though, that most high end AR's will all shoot pellet on top of pellet on top of pellet. It is just about how they feel to the shooter. I would recommend finding a way to handle some AR's before buying just to see if you like them. Just my 2 cents though.
conradin

Post by conradin »

Rover wrote:This has got to be a troll.
Pot Kettle Black
....from Pot Kettle Black :)
JSBmatch

Post by JSBmatch »

Yes, I believe the world record is still held by Thomas Farnik of Austria using a Steyr LG-110.
A Steyr LG-100 was my first PCP after using my FWB 601 for quite a few years. I loved my FWB 601 and I had a very special left hand model with a walnut stock, it won me quite a few trophies over the years, FWB informed me its the only one they ever made in left hand, I ended up having a love hate relationship with the Steyr.
The shot development is so fast and there is absolutely no reaction when firing, I call that a 'dead' gun, the absorber for me was too efficiant, I like some feed back. Being left handed the grip only came in medium and was too skinny for my hand, the extra length barrel out to ISSF limit made the gun hard to balance in my view. I ended up selling it to a fellow left handed shooter. Guess what, I went back to FWB with their 700 Basic and its a dream to shoot after a few mods to the stock. Look out for the new LG-110 with electronic trigger.
HWN1011

Post by HWN1011 »

Username wrote:Hello guys!

I have just been through this with the same budget as you.
I ended up getting a really good price on a Tesro RS100 Signum. Much higher spec than anything in that price bracket. Under test it will put pellet after pellet through the same hole so will always shoot better than me. The biggest thing I noticed with the rifle is the balance it seems beautifully balanced.
Not sure what part of the world your in they might not have a distributor. But send Daniel an email off the website he is very helpful.

Henry