Winchester 52D -Still Competitive in Smallbore Prone?

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

Dickn52

Re: Winchester 52D -Still Competitive in Smallbore Prone?

Post by Dickn52 »

I have a 52D rebarreled with a Bartlien gain twist that just shot a CtoC 5rd group of .1750 or rounded up to .1800". Not the best it can do, but at 50 yards it was better than respectable. I have shot many a group under .2000, and expect to get better. 52D, Bartlien Gain Twist barrel, Micro Motion Winchester D trigger at 9 ozs. and using Norma Tac 22 ammunition. Benched front and bagged back on a fairly windless sunny day. IMHO, the Winchester can keep up with proper care and good technique. I actually have two of these, but the second is running a Canjar LP trigger at 2ozs and I am still working up the best ammunition for that one. BOTH of these are running on Freeland (copy) stocks from a guy who has the patterns and makes them from Albion's masters.
groverdog1

Post by groverdog1 »

Hi Ron,

I trust you are well. I am fortunate to have a C action with a beautiful Kenyon single stage trigger. Carl B made a low profile thumbhole stock for the action. I can say it is a great rifle and in fact I had thoughts of selling it but I could not bring myself to do so.

You are correct in that the sight base set up is an issue relative to the ease and adjustability of using a 54 action. Ken Viani makes a mounting system that helps ease this issue. With a good barrel / ammo combo I see no reason why this rifle or any 52 cannot be competitive.

Best always

Mark
DesertShooter

Post by DesertShooter »

As far as being competitive, yes you can be. As long as you do your part when it comes to firing the shot, and take the time to match some ammo to the rifle. I'm one of the lucky ones who gets to shoot one of the international match 52's, with access to two more. From what I've read the internationals came with both Winchester and Kenyon triggers. I'm not sure which one is in the rifle I shoot. If someone knows how to tell the difference between the two triggers I'd be glad to listen.
crankythunder

Post by crankythunder »

Dear Stumpy:

Excuse me from arriving fashionably late to the dance but I would like to put my two cents in.

I have a Winchester 52C that was worked over by a local gunsmith named Wayne Swartz that used Roy Dunlop's hardware. I am the second custodian of this firearm and use it in my weekly four position matches. While I am not as competitive as I would like, I have benched this rifle for accuracy testing and ammo selection. While it will easily clean a standard position target at 50 yards, that really is not a test of the accuracy potential for Winchesters.

When I benchrest it in perfect conditions (I am not a dedicated benchrester myself), and using Eley Tennex EPS ammo, the rifle groups consistently at 0.200 or better. It would probably do better with a better trigger puller but the question as to if Winchesters have enough accuracy to compete is obvious. Winchester 52's can shoot really good!

Regards,
Cranky
gwsb

Post by gwsb »

OK Ron ... Not hording.

But I would wonder why someone needs more than one prone gun at a time, and that is experience talking . I have had as many as 6 at once.

I was interested in your comment on Hollister stocks. I am from the East and didn't know Herb as well as I would have liked. I didn't know he made stocks. I had assumed the term "Hollister stock" was a style not Herb's handy work.
beye

Post by beye »

There are quite a few who can rework the 52D triggers as Kenyon did. It simply requires relocating the pivot pin on the trigger piece and smoothing the inside of the housing and some spring work. This removes the main impediment, which has been a lack of aftermarket triggers that have a light trigger. Drilling and tapping them for a scope is no task for a competent gunsmith and the bolt handles can be altered to the E style (which is what Win. did) and will clear most eyepieces on target scopes. As earlier noted, prone does not require all the adjustments of 3P stocks. As a suggestion, note that they can be easily fitted into Anschutz 54 stocks, using the same front action screw hole and barely enlarging the bolt handle cutout slot in the stock and other minor adjustments. 52s are threaded and easy to rebarrel for a gunsmith. Some factory barrels shoot exceedingly well. Win. specs for the early 52s were at a min. as tight as Douglas premium barrels of today and Win. claimed many of their barrels were much better than that.
A fellow local competitor shoots a 52E in the D style stock (which most were sold in ), and while it looks like it's threaded inside (from drilling marks), he has shot many 1598's and 1599's with it. We are only club level shooters and that's a competitive score. When rebarrelled with a premium barrel and with select ammo, 52s do as well as any action in regards to accuracy. My 52D with a Lilja barrel did under 1/4" 5 shot groups @100 yd. with an old lot of Tenex when testing ammo lots when new. It has a Kenyon trigger and I'll have to join the group that prefers them to all others. I have them in several prone rifles (but not 6 of them!). I know it's a lot of trouble doing all this compared to buying an Anschutz or Walther off the shelf, but I enjoy shooting an American classic action and being competitive with it. Having fun is central to my shooting (not being an serious Olympian has its advantages).