Anschutz Zeller left hand model 54

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

justadude

Re: Anschutz Zeller left hand model 54

Post by justadude »

During the changeover from 16xx to 18xx Anschutz seemed to be using up leftover parts. Your receiver does have a 16xx serial number, at least in theory the parts indicate it is purebred 18xx.

The prism blocks on the barrel, both for scope and front sight are proper for the year involved. By 1983 as receiver mount scopes started to gain a foothold the barrel would come tapped with small headless screws inserted into the tapped bosses. The prism block for the front sight remained until the changeover to the 19xx.

Some years Anschutz stamped a model number, other years just Match 54 or SuperMatch. My sense is stamping the model number has become more popular over time as there is no longer a xx11 model or xx09 model (both minor fractions) to confuse things. Never tracked this feature so just hunches.

The 16xx can be sought after as they seemed to have better than average barrels, hence a slight price premium. As I mentioned before, early straight bolt 16xx had some premature wear on the cocking cam issues. That seemed to have been solved by the time the curved bolt handles arrived.

'Dude
Tim S

Post by Tim S »

'Dude,

regarding barrel markings, as I understand it Anschutz ceased marking the specific model number on the barrel some time around 1965. This was quite a short lived practise, as model numbers seem to have been introduced a few years into production, around 1960. From memory the earliest rifles were stamped Match 54 or Super Match 54. After 1965 Anschutz changed to a generic "Anschutz Modell Match 54" mark for all target barrels, I would assume to speed up production/trim costs. I had believed that all 1800 rifles had a discrete 1800 marking ("Anschutz Model 1813 Supermatch" for 690mm barrels, and "Anschutz Model 1807" for 660mm barrels), but it now appears that there was more overlap as Anschutz ran out of 1600 bolts before they ran out of assembled 1600 barrel/actions before starting. I would imagine the transition from 1800 to 1900 rifles was easier as there appear to be no differences between the actions, it's just the barrel and foresight.

It makes me wonder what my own X-numbered 1800 rifle had on the original )and now long replaced) barrel.
justadude

Post by justadude »

Tim,

I just went and looked at my two 16xx barrels (both heavy) 154xxx and 171xxx, those as predicted are marked Modell Match 54. As both those barrels were set back, I like you, now can only ponder what the year mark on the barrels might be. Likewise for a 1974 heavy barrel 14xx starting in 119xxx. I have a 1983 model 1810 I can check as well but cannot get to it quickly.

I almost wish Anschutz would go back to just marking some version of Match 54 on the barrels. I have seen a decent number of barrels with 1913, 1813 or 1907,1807 stamped into them that were not in the stock appropriate to the model number. People who don't know these rifles take it at the stamping and swear by it. I had one lady at a big name outdoors store become rather nasty when I pointed out the rifle she was selling as an 1813 was actually a barrel stamped 1813 placed in an 1811 stock. On a more amusing note, at a match recently a fellow was talking about the 1907 he got at an estate sale and how pretty it was. I innocently asked, "Oh where is it?" It was up on the line, a 1907 barrel in an 18/1910 stock. He was pleased to learn it was likely worth well more than the $700 he had paid for it. : )

'Dude
Tim S

Post by Tim S »

'Dude,

going by the serial numbers I'd say barrel 154xxxX would have been marked 77 or HI (78), and barrel 171xxxX would have been HK (79). My 1613 is sn 170xxxX and the proof mark was HK, well until it too was rechambered.

I guess the 1813 was IA (80) but it could have been IB (81).

I agree wholeheartedly about barrel markings, Match 54 would have been so much easier. Although since most folks don't overly mind exactly what model they have, the current barrel markings make it easier to order spare pats. The confusion also provides a constant source of diversion for me, so I can't complain too much.
gwsb

Post by gwsb »

My 2 C.

The barrel markings have always been a problem for Anschutz. It is the action not the barrel that makes it a 54. It is the stock that makes it a 14,18,19 - 07,10,11, or 13. Except that the 07 is a light barrel. And of course the jump from 14 to 18 was a big change in actions that probably warranted a change from the 54 designation.

And last but not least , those of us who know this stuff need a life.