Chest Plates on Air Rifles

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

Andre

Chest Plates on Air Rifles

Post by Andre »

My FWB has holes on the rear of the stock, and I never knew what they were for until I saw a chest plate for a FWB p700 on 10pt9.

Are chest plates even legal in ISSF 10m air rifle competition? Any performance gain in using one?
Seems like they would input a LOT of heartbeat from a chest plate.

Thanks
jhmartin

Re: Chest Plates on Air Rifles

Post by jhmartin »

Nope, no longer legal.

There must (??) have been some sense of "added support" by ISSF when they banned them.
Andre

Post by Andre »

jhmartin wrote:Nope, no longer legal.

There must (??) have been some sense of "added support" by ISSF when they banned them.
When were they banned? And why does 10pt9 still make/sell them?

The tanks on my FWB 700 are 9 years old, meaning the rifle might be that old. It has chest plate holes so they were probably legal 9 years ago.
jhmartin

Post by jhmartin »

Maybe post a link to the part.
maybe I'm thinking of something different than you are.....

ISSF Rule 7.5.4.1(e)
Any devices or weights projecting forward or laterally from
the lower part of the butt plate are prohibited.
Andre

Post by Andre »

jhmartin wrote:Maybe post a link to the part.
maybe I'm thinking of something different than you are.....

ISSF Rule 7.5.4.1(e)
Any devices or weights projecting forward or laterally from
the lower part of the butt plate are prohibited.
http://www.10pt9.com/Rifle-Accessories/ ... -p436.html
jhmartin

Post by jhmartin »

Interesting! Never seen one of those.
I do note that it is out of stock and I'd be tempted to call Larry (at 10.9) before trying to purchase.

I think this device would run afoul of Rule 7.4.2.6(b):
Any other weights must be within the dimensions of the stock;

There are only a few points that you can add width to the stock to bring it to a "maximum" dimension, and the location to mount this is not one of them. I know here in the USA this would give us some issue at EC (as Marcus will tell ya, we've been wrong before!) , but it would be very interesting to see what those who have gone thru (and perform) the ISSF ECs would call on this.

Now that Equipment Checks are voluntary before the match and this type of rule only enforced at a post match EC, I'd get this squared away before you shot with one.
Andre

Post by Andre »

jhmartin wrote:Interesting! Never seen one of those.
I do note that it is out of stock and I'd be tempted to call Larry (at 10.9) before trying to purchase.

I think this device would run afoul of Rule 7.4.2.6(b):
Any other weights must be within the dimensions of the stock;

There are only a few points that you can add width to the stock to bring it to a "maximum" dimension, and the location to mount this is not one of them. I know here in the USA this would give us some issue at EC (as Marcus will tell ya, we've been wrong before!) , but it would be very interesting to see what those who have gone thru (and perform) the ISSF ECs would call on this.

Now that Equipment Checks are voluntary before the match and this type of rule only enforced at a post match EC, I'd get this squared away before you shot with one.
Say, if I put one on my smallbore "free" rifle, would they be legal? I wonder if they are an aftermarket repro meant for the p700 but for free rifle shooters? Hmm.

I'd like to hear what Marcus has to say.
jhmartin

Post by jhmartin »

7.4.2 (and sub-rules) are only for 10m Air and 300m Standard rifles

(Note, I sent an email to Larry to see what he knows.)
FrankD

Post by FrankD »

Hi all,

i would say, Rule 7.6.1.3 is here more important and is (indirect) valid for all rifles.

ISSF Rule Book EDITION 2013 (Second Print 01/2014)

7.6.1.3 Standing

b) The rifle may be held with both hands and the shoulder or
the upper arm near the shoulder and the part of the chest
immediately adjacent to the right shoulder;

d) The rifle must not touch the jacket or chest beyond the area
of the right shoulder;

f) The rifle must not touch or rest against any other point or
object;

If you are not allowed to touch your chest a chest plate doesn't make much sense.

The interesting part of this rule starts, if you will control its compliance by our shooting ladies. You can have some fun, but you can also easily get in much trouble. ;-)

Regards from Germany

Frank
jhmartin

Post by jhmartin »

OK, I got a reply for Larry and I'll post
Larry at 10.9 wrote:The chest plate as I understand it is no longer ISSF-legal, but since probably 20% of our customers will never even attempt to shoot a USAS-sanctioned match, they can use whatever gear they like in their personal pursuit of shooting ISSF-style disciplines. And at some point we'll get more chest plates in and will sell a few. Many are league shooters or are only shooting for fun, but they choose to use international-style gear. Note that even the German national federation has relaxed many rules for purely national competition, allowing more people to shoot these disciplines and not get caught up in every tiny ISSF rule, which only leads to exclusion. USAS is taking the same approach with a few rules, notably boot flexion, and not requiring compliance from every participant at every level. Most ISSF rules are enforced in the USA, but not all.
OK, so my advise to you if you do get one of these and you enter a major USA Shooting sanctioned air gun match (WAG, Selections, Nationals, etc) that you take it thru the voluntary pre-event equipment check and get written approval (not a verbal) from the jury to use it. --Joel