Redfield or Anschutz Sight mount

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

TomAmlie

Redfield or Anschutz Sight mount

Post by TomAmlie »

I just acquired a centerfire match rifle built on a 1903 Springfield receiver. It's got two holes drilled and tapped across the receiver bridge. Does anyone know of a mount that would allow me to mount a Redfield (or perhaps Anschutz) rear sight, utilizing the existing holes?

Thanks in advance.
Tom
Attachments
146a.jpg
corning

Re: Redfield or Anschutz Sight mount

Post by corning »

Boy, that is going to be a tough one. You don't see many of those in competition. I suspect you will have to come up with a rail of some sorts that will span from the front of the action (where the scope block is) to the rear, where you have the two holes going across the action. A rail could/would allow a dovetailed sight, or, if it is drilled and tapped on the side, a Redfield type side mount sight. I don't think you can drill and tap into the side of the action. You might have to hit some of the high power forums to see what folks do. Good luck!
mobarron

Post by mobarron »

It's tough to see but that looks like an 03A3 receiver. If it has a leaf sight ahead of the receiver, forget the following sentence. The 03A3 rear sight slides onto that dovetail and you ought to be able to get one from Numerich or other suppliers of used parts. If it's an 03 (leaf sight), the Lyman and Redfield target rear sights were mounted on the right side of the receiver just ahead of the bolt handle. The Springfield receivers are very hard but a competent gunsmith should be able to drill and tap the holes after you get a Lyman or Redfield. ( I have one). If you don't want to do that, you still may be able to mount the 03A3 rear sight by having a gunsmith drill thru the bottom of the sight and attach it to the receiver holes. I don't see any other good options. Mike Barron mbarron@theenterpriselawgroup.com
TomAmlie

Post by TomAmlie »

Thanks to those who responded. There's apparently an obsolete Redfield mount that fits, so I'll track one of those down in due time. Mike, you're right, it's an 03A3. One of the scope blocks covers the model designation.
dc.fireman

Post by dc.fireman »

Tom - I wouldn't have known about this if someone else in another thread hadn't mentioned it:

http://www.outbackgunparts.com