New to 10m air rifle

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

UCChris

New to 10m air rifle

Post by UCChris »

Hi guys. My name is Christopher and I'm not new to airguns, but I am new to 10m air rifle shooting. I usually frequent the GTA forums and my primary focus is airgun hunting. Anyway, I got hooked on 10m when I went to my hunter's safety class in a neighboring city. I found out they also did 10m air rifle at the range there and, after finding out that I shoot airguns, the range master let me shoot one of their Feinwerkbau 700's. What a nice rifle! I had been dabbling in 10m a little bit before and was doing somewhat decent with my break barrel D34.. I immediately shot a 100/100 on a 50 foot .22 target with that FWB 700. Ever since, I have been shooting at a 10m target, 100-250 pellets a day, with my break barrel air rifle. I've decided that I really, really want to jump into this aspect of shooting with both feet. So that leads me to the number one question asked by new guys. What rifle should I get? Well, luckily, I did some of my own research and came up with my own answer. However, it is another popular question. Crosman Challenger or Airforce Edge? Well, I think I want the Edge. I have heard of inaccuracy issues popping up, but everyone I've actually talked to (4 people) all love them. So I want to find a used Edge, in the blue coloring, here on the "Buy, Sell, Trade" section. I'm going to pump it up with an Airforce hand pump and it should be a ton of fun! I do however, have some questions.

1) Is the Airforce Edge good enough for a casual, "basement" 10m shooter? I may (read: probably) compete in the Sporter class with my local league and/or college club. I'm not out to win a ton, just to have fun.

2) I have read a few threads where some people have said that you will "outgrow" the Edge fast. What does this mean? I'm not looking to ever move to Precision class, so I'm not sure that I can/will "outgrow" the Edge.

3) I'm a recent high school graduate, soon-to-be college student, and so my budget is, understandably, tight. Is it reasonable to think that I can find a used Edge with sights for $350-400?

I think that's all for now. Thank you guys for your help!
JSBmatch

Re: New to 10m air rifle

Post by JSBmatch »

Before you lay out the money, check out the AirArms 10m target rifle.
Rover

Post by Rover »

How about a world beating air rifle for not much money?

Forget those crapola cheapies and find a used Walther LGR. It held all the world records and championships for quite a while. Also, you need no extras beyond a tin of pellets. Rebuilds are simple and cheap.

How's all that sound to you?
UCChris

Post by UCChris »

I'm assuming you mean the AA T200? I'm open to that too. I've created a WTB thread for an Edge or Crosman Challenger. I wouldn't mind a T200 either.

Thanks for the suggestion Rover! The Walther LGR seems like a fine work of art, but I was hoping for something a little more modern?

Whatever I get, I have a budget of $350 (maybe stretch to $400) for the rifle.
UCChris

Post by UCChris »

I see five viable options.

1) Get an Edge knowing that I may have to swap out the barrel for a good one. Cost: Used Edge + $166 if I need a new barrel

2) Get an Air Arms T200 and put an Edge rear sight on it. Not legal for competition, I know. Cost: Used T200 + $148 for Edge rear sight

3) Get a Crosman Challenger and put an Edge rear sight on it. Cost: Used Challenger + $148 for Edge rear sight

4) Forget Sporter competition and get a used Hammerli AR20. Cost: Probably more than the other three, but a better rifle for sure.

5) Similar to #4, but get a used Air Arms S400 MPR. Cost: Probably about the same as the used Hammerli AR20.

I know I want to pcp. No SSP or CO2 or Spring.
Rover

Post by Rover »

Sorry, but your "more modern" choices are virtually junk and won't even come close to the performance of an "old timey" LGR.

You can find one for the money you're willing to spend.
UCChris

Post by UCChris »

Rover wrote:Sorry, but your "more modern" choices are virtually junk and won't even come close to the performance of an "old timey" LGR.

You can find one for the money you're willing to spend.
I'm just looking to have some fun here. And I really want to go PCP for the ease of shooting while in 3P. Don't have to totally break prone position to reload a PCP.
JSBmatch

Post by JSBmatch »

My personal choice would be an AA S400 MPR.
UCChris

Post by UCChris »

JSBmatch wrote:My personal choice would be an AA S400 MPR.

I'm assuming you're saying you would choose the MPR over the AR20? I like the idea of both for different reasons. Can the S400 MPR be used in Sporter competition?
markwarren

Post by markwarren »

Hi UCChris,

The Air Arms MPR is the main choice for Sporter class over here in the UK.

At the recently held Junior International, the South African squad aced the Sporter class and if my memory serves me correctly ALL of their squad use MPRs. The British Sporter Record was shot using an MPR. The current British Junior Sporter Champion uses an MPR. So al in all they have quite a good pedigree and reputation.

Just my 2p or 2c worth.

Mark
Rover

Post by Rover »

I take back my comment regarding the AA MPR.
I also thought you would not be interested in paying the $1400 or so it would cost to get into that system.
UCChris

Post by UCChris »

Rover wrote:I take back my comment regarding the AA MPR.
I also thought you would not be interested in paying the $1400 or so it would cost to get into that system.
I'm not. I'm really not but, over the last decade I've been shooting, I've learned that doing it right once is better than messing it up twice. I'd rather shell out the money for an AA S400 MPR than buy, say, a Challenger and hate it. Then buy an Edge and find out I also hate it.

I figure I can get into a used AA MPR for $800 or so. $200 for a hand pump and I'm right at 1k for my 10m setup.
TerryKuz

Post by TerryKuz »

For a budget under 1000 bucks, I would suggest you look at the FWB 601-603 models. These are single stroke pneumatic, so no need for a pump. I really like my air arms 400 and 500, so I am sure the MPR is a fine rifle, but the FWB shot in the Olympics, the MPR did not. Good luck.
45ACP223

Post by 45ACP223 »

I recommend the Walther LGR or Feinwerkbau 600 series. Jim E sells a lot of FWB 600 series rifles on this website. You can usually pick up a nice 601 for $600-700. These SSP rifles were used in the Olympics and have world class triggers, barrels, and sights. They are easy to cycle, and you won't need to invest in a foot pump (a waste of hard earned $$ if you ask me). If you are set on PCP, get a Scuba setup and save yourself a lot of aggravation. Good luck!
markwarren

Post by markwarren »

The original thread states he has no intention of moving into precision so I don't understand why everyone is pushing precision rifles in this thread - they would not be allowed to shoot in a Sporter comp (at least here in the UK).

The FWB 600s and Walther are undoubtedly great rifles but not suitable for what the discipline the guy wants to shoot in !!

Sorry for the grumpy old man moment :)
Rover

Post by Rover »

Well, actually this is the wrong forum to post this kind of question, being Olympic Air Rifle and all.
Andre

Post by Andre »

I'm the current American Legion national sporter champion, although that doesn't make my opinion any more true or anything but I shoot a Crosman Challenger. The AA s200 is known as the XS40, is made by CZ and imported. I don't like them, the first year I went to regionals in sporter one of the best shooters on another team had the bolt handle broken off on her XS40. She didn't recover and fell down the scoreboards. The AFAG Edge, seems like a good rifle. The barrel is in question, but I've never seen one in a sporter or precision match, and I think that says something.

My advise, get the Challenger. The sights are mediocre, but if you really want put some FWB sights in it. But if you change sights it is no longer approved for sporter competition, so be ware of that.
jps2486

Post by jps2486 »

There are a lot of good recommendations here. I recommend that you get some competition under your belt, then look for a college that has 10M air rifle teams. You may qualify for a scholarship because these schools are always looking for good shooters. Texas Christian University comes to mind. You could end up going to the olympics through this venue.
Andre

Post by Andre »

jps2486 wrote:There are a lot of good recommendations here. I recommend that you get some competition under your belt, then look for a college that has 10M air rifle teams. You may qualify for a scholarship because these schools are always looking for good shooters. Texas Christian University comes to mind. You could end up going to the olympics through this venue.

Just looked at TCU shooting program, looks like they all shoot precision. I doubt they would have an AFAG edge if they only shoot precision, as the edge is a sporter gun.

From OP's first post, "I'm not looking to ever move to Precision class" so TCU might not work for him.
jps2486

Post by jps2486 »

Andre wrote:
jps2486 wrote:There are a lot of good recommendations here. I recommend that you get some competition under your belt, then look for a college that has 10M air rifle teams. You may qualify for a scholarship because these schools are always looking for good shooters. Texas Christian University comes to mind. You could end up going to the olympics through this venue.

Just looked at TCU shooting program, looks like they all shoot precision. I doubt they would have an AFAG edge if they only shoot precision, as the edge is a sporter gun.

From OP's first post, "I'm not looking to ever move to Precision class" so TCU might not work for him.
I saw an episode on American Airgunner about the women's rifle team. Many of those girls weren't even airgun shooters when they joined the team. You can always move up.