New to 10m air rifle

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

redschietti

Re: New to 10m air rifle

Post by redschietti »

It pays to dream big, but Karens not going to even bother looking at you, until you can compete near the top at the national level in precision.
Andre

Post by Andre »

jps2486 wrote:
Andre wrote:
jps2486 wrote:There are a lot of good recommendations here. I recommend that you get some competition under your belt, then look for a college that has 10M air rifle teams. You may qualify for a scholarship because these schools are always looking for good shooters. Texas Christian University comes to mind. You could end up going to the olympics through this venue.

Just looked at TCU shooting program, looks like they all shoot precision. I doubt they would have an AFAG edge if they only shoot precision, as the edge is a sporter gun.

From OP's first post, "I'm not looking to ever move to Precision class" so TCU might not work for him.
I saw an episode on American Airgunner about the women's rifle team. Many of those girls weren't even airgun shooters when they joined the team. You can always move up.
I watched the episode awhile ago, from what I remember the rifle team wasn't just a womans team, it is located in Stan Island, NY. It was an American Legion post team too I believe, and the Legion teams won't get you to the Olympics for sporter. The highest sporter goes is nationals. Been there, done that, got the T-shirt :)
EJB123

Post by EJB123 »

I see the challenger has been mentioned. How good is this for 10meter shooting?
Wynne G Oldman

Post by Wynne G Oldman »

There's a lot of truth in the saying "Buy cheap, buy twice." The Air Arms MPR is the rifle to go for in my opinion, if you're buying new, and want a PCP. I think that the Walther LGR and the Feinwerkbau 600 series of SSP's are a very good choice and can be picked up for reasonable money second hand.
Morini 162 EI
Anschutz 1913 Supermatch
Andre

Post by Andre »

EJB123 wrote:I see the challenger has been mentioned. How good is this for 10meter shooting?
That's the rifle I personally shoot. I have shot in the 570's with it in practice which is unheard of in sporter. Peoples mouths drop when I tell them.
I highly recommend it, really adjustable, trigger is phenomenal for a sporter gun, LW barrel, and just a great gun. Smooth as silk once it's broken in.

Never had an issue in competition with it like the older CH2000 that used 12g co2 carts, those were prone to some trouble.
Andre

Post by Andre »

Wynne G Oldman wrote:There's a lot of truth in the saying "Buy cheap, buy twice." The Air Arms MPR is the rifle to go for in my opinion, if you're buying new, and want a PCP. I think that the Walther LGR and the Feinwerkbau 600 series of SSP's are a very good choice and can be picked up for reasonable money second hand.

The guns you mentioned are precision guns, and as I understand it the OP only wants to shoot sporter.