Sling suggestions..........

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

kevin nevius

Re: Sling suggestions..........

Post by kevin nevius »

All:

Just another note of thanks, I certainly didn't expect this kind of response, and I really appreciate all of the suggestions!

The discussion regarding actual sling tension is also VERY interesting - again, much appreciated!

I ordered a KT - ATL sling, it should be here for some weekend practice, and I will let all of you know how it performs. I think Ken mentioned that most other manufacturers loop the material and use a buckle - which the MEC does not. That would certainly account for the additional tension those two little holes deal with!

Have a great week / weekend coming up,

kev
Eric U

Post by Eric U »

Jenson makes them in two widths...one NRA style, and one that conforms to the 40mm ISSF width.

Eric U
efoleyjr

Post by efoleyjr »

Here is a solution to the adjustment pins pulling through the strap. The only problem is you need to have adjusted the sling to it's final resting place. The only adjustment left is the small adjustment screw which is limited. It should not be a problem for shooter who have refined their position to the point that the sling stays in one position. Hope this helps someone.
Ed
Attachments
MEC Sling_08-13-14_0005.JPG
MEC Sling_08-13-14_0005.JPG (131.52 KiB) Viewed 2442 times
MEC Sling_08-13-14_0001.JPG
MEC Sling_08-13-14_0001.JPG (127.52 KiB) Viewed 2442 times
ZD

Post by ZD »

Personally, I use the Kurt Thune ATL sling, I used the model 2 sling before. The ATL sling does rotate, and has an adjustable wheel. U can lock the twist of the sling, but I don't as I use the wheel micro adjustment. Having said that, I have tried my brothers Sauer Exact, and I feel that it is a better sling. I feel that the cuff is better, and it feels a little better overall. The sling does not rotate as much as the Kurt Thune. Both are durable. I do like my sling, but I feel that the sauer is a little better.
Jason

Post by Jason »

mobarron wrote:Does Jensen make a sling that conforms to the Int'l width? I have one but its width is close to 2 inches. Mike Barron
They say on their site that they have a 40 mm wide version.

Jason
kevin nevius

Post by kevin nevius »

Ed:

I thought about doing what you suggest, but in Palma and LR shooting (on grass firing lines) you never know what condition your firing point will be in. Some slope and I find I need sling adjustments. Bringing tools to the line (especially to mess with the flat nuts and screws MEC provides) doesn't seem a good option.

Most smallbore ranges are great for maintaining a common position (especially with the Nationals in Bristol...........Perry had some awful points down in the moguls that I dealt with the past two years!). You needed a bag of sand, and a bunch of underlay material to have any hope of a flat point!

Thanks for the pictures though!

kev
efoleyjr

Post by efoleyjr »

Kev,
I had the same thought but only shoot SB now, too old and lazy to shoot HP. Perry is always an issue but we know that ahead of time. Just in case, I ordered a Jensen sling to test out and if it works I will be changing. See you soon.
Ed
ABoyd57946

Post by ABoyd57946 »

Hello Kevin,
For you to take or leave, I have used a Sauer ISSF legal sling for smallbore prone for five years. It has served me well and can be adjusted in position. I too put a lot of tension on the sling and it has done right by me. Price when I bought it five years ago was $80 from Champions Choice. Hope that helps.

Good to meet you in Bristol at the Dewar match.

Thanks, Tony B.
gwsb

Post by gwsb »

Ross

I suggest you rethink your entire prone position.

First, the original poster, Kevin Nevius is a 2 time US National Prone Champion, Eric Uptagraft is an Olympic prone shooter. You should listen and learn from what they say. A now retired former world record holder told me that an adult man could stand on his barrel and it would not leave the black when he was in prone. In prone the sling should be as tight as possible, the butt should be tight in the shoulder and the cheek should be tight on the cheek piece.

The tighter the sling and position the tighter the hold. You should be able to hold on a bullet hole at 100 yards and break the shot on probably half a bullet hole if you shoot between heart beats. There is no way to do this with a loose sling.

At the end of a weekend of American prone (320 shots) you should have bruises on the shoulder and cheek.
Tim S

Post by Tim S »

At the risk of starting a war, I agree with Ross, but for novice shooters.

When setting up a beginner, I find it easier if the position is relaxed and not super tight. Until they have built up enough the muscle memory, a sling that's too tight can be difficult. Certainly once they can differentiate between loose, tight, and too tight, then a tight position is good. Personally I've struggled at times with getting the sling just tight enough for good recoil, but without pushing my shoulder back, or going the other way and pushing with my shoulder to meet the butt.

I do get a lovely scratch across my cheek though over a double dewar.
Thedrifter

Post by Thedrifter »

Kevin, Below is the sling i have used for the last year and a half. great prices too, Hand made in Hawaii, very similar to the Kurt Thune Sling. great quality too in my opinion.

http://www.hataservices.com/precision-- ... lings.html
kevin nevius

Post by kevin nevius »

Thanks again - the sling (from Hawaii) looks awesome (and you are right, the price looks great too!).

On a side note - Paul Gideon was recently there and sent me some Kona coffee (which it turns out, is the most addictive substance on earth!! LOL). I mail order it - they ship it thru the US postal service. Its expensive, but is it ever AWESOME!. (FYI - its from the Hanalei Tea Company.

Regarding sling tension - I will very (very!) humbly defer to Eric, his prone position is as textbook as any I have ever seen (and mine is surely NOT!). We all make compromises based on our body types, and mine is no exception. I do agree that tighter is better - but you must be able to comfortably manage it throughout a 30 minute duration without pain or fatigue (that's important, at least for me). A lot of pain is mitigated thru training and just getting your body accustomed to it - but it must be manageable.

The subject of "wobble size" is also interesting. Paul has told me (and I have no doubt) that his hold was a bullet hole @ 100 yards, but mine has NEVER approached that. I have always had some pulse movement - certainly much larger than a bullet hole. For me, the most important thing is the mechanics involved - breaking good shots, even if the movement is larger.

Anyhow, I am hoping Eric chimes in - I am most interested in his comments!

Thanks for your kindness, all the best!

kev
mtncwru

Post by mtncwru »

I'll throw another vote in favor of the Hata Slings, though I don't think they're as full featured as you're looking for, Kevin. They're very well made, and he's an awfully nice guy to boot!

I think we should get Paul a SCATT; I'd love to see his tracings...
mgbdietrich

Post by mgbdietrich »

Kev:

I just got an idea, why don't you just use one of your "man thongs" as your next sling? Only a little stretch right?

Now there is a visual for all of us.....

=)

Kona Coffee is some great stuff!
kevin nevius

Post by kevin nevius »

Morgen:

Okay, now you did it..........an otherwise serious conversation takes the proverbial "fork in the road"!! LOL

Yes, I do wear my Lapua thong in competition (my secret is out)..........I only do because I heard the AMU has done it for years!

Rumors...........those nasty rumors.

Congratulations on the great shooting this summer Morgen, it was great to see you!

kev
Eric U

Post by Eric U »

Sorry the rumors are untrue, I go commando...

Anyway, my hold isn't bullet hole sized at 100yd either. I agree with Kevin that it is almost more important to have good execution and get your shot off cleanly.

Unfortunately some of my endurance with my tight position has lapsed this summer with all these 20-shot match strings. I'm having a heck of a time getting back to my regular break at 35-40 shots in a 60 shot match. I believe a postion, and sling should be tight, but not so tight that all you are thinking about is the pain. You have to be able to concentrate on the shot and good execution. Tighter is definitely better than looser...at least if you want to shoot lots of 10's.

Eric U
RobStubbs

Post by RobStubbs »

As Eric rightly points out, the sling should be tight but not too tight. There's a fine line between getting it right and wrong, go too tight and not only will it hurt a lot, but more importantly, your hold will open up. It's one of the areas where scatt (or similar) can come in handy to help evaluate such small changes and its effect on hold - we used it for that at the squad I was helping coach.

Rob.
RossM

Post by RossM »

gwsb wrote:Ross

I suggest you rethink your entire prone position.

First, the original poster, Kevin Nevius is a 2 time US National Prone Champion, Eric Uptagraft is an Olympic prone shooter. You should listen and learn from what they say.
Thanks for the tip gwsb. I think I can safely say I have a wee bit of history behind me too. My coaching doesn't seem to be that bad either. :-)

Its interesting a few other posters have been tempted to comment on sling tightness - or the not so tightness. As I alluded to, when I make a tensioning meter i will let you know what I find.

Kind regards

Ross Mason