Exercises for a brand new middle aged shooter, what can I do

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

Coach-Z

Exercises for a brand new middle aged shooter, what can I do

Post by Coach-Z »

New guy here from Denmark,

Only been shooting for a couple of months, that's only 6 trips to the range in total.

My goal is to shoot 3P 50 meter ISSF. I Recently purchased a shooting jacket, sling and glove, and want to move away from the sandbag I've been using in the prone position.

(ignore the surroundings, we're on vacation in a tent and I bought the jacket on my way to the camping site..)

When I'm at the range I guess I just have a tendency to fire lead down the range... Just trying to get the highest score on each piece of paper I can.

That simply can not be the best way to improve my shooting...

I like competition and my plan is to enter them as soon as I can.

I'm looking for tips and programs for a brand new shooter looking to be a somewhat competitive shooter.

We have instructors in our club, but there are so many people that they just don't have the time for the one on one I gather is required.

Any and all advice, would be greatly appreciated.

Regards
Anders Risager
Tim S

Post by Tim S »

Anders,

this is for prone shooting - if you have just bought a sling, then your first step will be to learn how to use this to support the rifle.

This is a trial and error process, and will take several range sessions. Your object is to build a stable and comfortable support for the rifle, through correct placement of your arms, and adjustment of the sling.

Start by putting the sling over your arm. The sling can be placed high (between the bicep and deltoid muscles), or Low (above the elbow). A high sling is more common in english-speaking countries, and increases the leverage. Buckle or hook the sling onto the jacket to prevent it slipping down the arm. The sling cuff can be tightened around your arm, but leave at least a four-finger space between the sling and your arm, or the sling will restrict blood circulation to your hand. If the sling cuff and jacket sleeve have a non-slip rubber coating the sling will resist twisting with only minimal tightening. Turn the sling so the strap projects from the front of the bicep, and it pulls against the tricep at the back (not the inside).

Next fit the handstop (or sling fitting) to the rifle. Position this so the grip is halfway between the hanstop and the butt. This is only a starting position; the handsop will almost cetainly need to be repositioned later.

Then you can get into your shooting position. The body position becomes much more important when using a sling than when shooting from a sandbag. Some very approximate suggestions for the body are:

1) Body at about 20° angle to the rifle; don’t worry about the precise angle, so long as the position is steady.

2) Straight back and left leg; foot either turned inwards, or pointing straight back.

3) Square shoulders; you back and shoulders should form a T.

4) Right leg spread, and bent at the knee as much/little as is comfortable.

5)Left arm straight, elbow thrust as far forward as comfortable. Forearm 30°-40° from horizontal.

Some aspects, particularly the body line, and leg orientation vary greatly between shooters depending on their height and build. For instance a short stocky person will normally need to spread and bend the right leg quite a lot to roll the torso for more breathing space; but a tall slim shooter may not need to bend the knee at all.

Now attach the sling to the rifle. It’s better to start with a long sling, and shorten gradually it until the rifle is steady, than to start with a short sling and make it longer, because it’s easy to make the position too tight. Depending on how close the sling holes are, you may have to move the handstop as well.

When the sling tension is more or less right, the rifle should be steady without you holding on. Your upper body should be relaxed; this may be counter-intuitive by relaxing your muscles allows a more steady aim, and clean consistent recoil.

If the rifle tips forwards, the sling is probably too long; make is shorter until the rifle is steady. If the sling feels very tight, and it's a struggle yo fit the but into your shoulder, the sling is probably too short; make the sling longer, until the slings feels less tight, but the rifle is steady.

It is important that the left hand is positioned correctly, both to make the rifle steady, and to avoid discomfort. The rifle should sit on the base of your hand (carpal bones), so your arm bones carry the weight, not your hand. The hand will be tilted back a little, but there should be no sideways bend in the wrist. Place your hand firmly against the handstop, so it can’t move forwards (which drops the position); the contact point will fall somewhere between the thumb and index finger knuckle, depending on the size and shape of the handstop.

Almost every first-time shooter complains that their hand left aches. Most get used to the pressure within a few weeks, but some may need a break mid-detail. Correct hand position/sling tension and a good glove should limit aching to long matches. However sharp stabbing pain is not normal, and means that something is wrong.

You may also need to adjust the length of the rifle butt so it is comfortable. Most rifles are proprtioned to fit an average size adult man (c 175cm); tall men often need to make the butt longer to accomodate long arms or a long neck. Don't lengthen the butt too much, usually 1-3cm is enough unless you are very tall (over 185cm).

Breathing and aim
You will also need to learn how to time your shooting with your breathing cycle, and how to align your body with the target.

Correct breathing technique is quite simple. When shooting prone with a sling, inhaling makes the muzzle point down, and exhaling makes it point up. Almost all shooters choose to fire on exhalation, when their lungs are empty.

Body alignment. When the sling is supporting the rifle, the correct way to point the rifle at the target, is by moving the whole body. Pushing the rifle onto aim with your arms gives bad results, as you fight the sling. Where the rifle points is called Natural Point of Aim (NPA). A common way to bring your NPA onto the targets is to move your hips and chest, and pivot around your left elbow.

Shooting
at first, don't shoot for score. You need to practise the basic techniques of breathing, body alignment, and trigger control. Try to shoot a score adds an unneccesary level of difficulty. It's much better to shoot groups; it does not matter where your shots are high, low, left or right of centre, so long as the group is consistent.

I think that should do for starters!

Tim
Last edited by Tim S on Fri Aug 01, 2014 2:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
bandur60

Post by bandur60 »

NOTE: Switch "right" for "left" if shooting left-handed ....