10M air and ISSF Rules...

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

David W. Johnson

10M air and ISSF Rules...

Post by David W. Johnson »

I've never shot more than a plain jane rifle, so I never needed to look at the rules. I'm exploring options. Today, I looked at the rules. I wish I hadn't. The format just makes no sense to me. I'm looking here: http://www.sportlovesz.hu/szakmai/issf.pdf

With a 10M air rifle (Anschutz 2002 Superair SSP), can I use a butthook? I think it says I can and gives a limitation to the length. (7.4.4.2 and 7.4.4.2.1 respectively) But that is in section 7.4.4 50M Rifle. 7.4.3 Standards for 300M Standard Rifle and 10M Air Rifle talks about the buttplate, but is mute on butthooks.

With the same rifle, can I use a palm rest? Section 7.4.3 at 7.4.3.2 says "A thumb hole, thumb rest, palm rest, heel rest and spirit level
are prohibited." Clear enough. But then, Section 7.4.4.3 authorizes a butthook and gives specifications. I would accept that this is just for the 50M rifle, since it is under that heading, but the next Section (7.4.5) says the same specifications apply to the 300M Rifle. That seems in conflict with the prohibition in Section 7.4.3.2...unless a 300M Rifle is different from a 300M Standard Rifle. I notice that distinction.

It would be lovely if the standards were divided by rifle. Any help?

Thanks!

David
Tim S

Post by Tim S »

David,

sorry, butt hooks are specifically prohibited for 10m air rifles. These are only allowd for 50m rifle, and 300m Free/Sport rifle (not 300m standard). See rule 7.4.4.1 Rifle Measurement Table section G, the maximum permitted curvature of the buttplate is 20mm.

Butt hooks are covered under 7.4.5.1 Standards for 50m Rifles, so do not apply to 10 air rifle.

Yes there is a difference between 300m rifle and 300m Standard rifle. 300m Rifle is what used to be called Free Rifle; the Free meant that the rifle was largely unrestricted, except for a maximum calibre, and weight. 300m Standard Rifle derived form the old Army Rifle match, which was shot with the athlete's military service rifle. In the 1960s at the time most armies were ditching bolt-action rifles, the Standard Rifle was introduced to allow civilian made rifles that met the spirit of Army Rifle.
David W. Johnson

Post by David W. Johnson »

Thanks, Tim. Knowing there is a distinction in the 300M category, I can divide up the rules better. Given that, I read the rules to say there are no butthooks or palm rests allowed on 10M air.
remmy223

Post by remmy223 »

Your link takes you to the 2005 rule book.

Go here for the latest version

http://www.issf-sports.org/theissf/rules.ashx