Russian rifle sling

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

BM

Russian rifle sling

Post by BM »

My next project is the Russian rifle sling as it is used by Martynov and Khadjibekov. I couldn't find any for sale online, anyone else knowing where to buy? If not for sale it will become a DIY project.

Tim S

Post by Tim S »

BM,

I think these were a Russian/Soviet domestic product not sold abroad. It's even possible that the slings were locally made rather than being a commercial product; certainly Martynov's sling is different from Khadjibekov's sling, which is different from Shcherbatsevich's sling.

You might try asking follow forum member (and fellow countryman) Albert T. He had a leather version made some years ago, and may be able to help. See this post:

http://www.targettalk.org/viewtopic.php ... ther+sling

Otherwise if you can find some canvas webbing, a saddlemaker, or cobbler should be able to make one for you.
BM

Post by BM »

Just wondering if there was some entusiast that created one fir himself.

I know the leather sling but like to have the webbing material and no holes to adjust length.
dave800

Post by dave800 »

That looks interesting and cool!
PeteJ

Post by PeteJ »

I've got the lowdown on this one, as my wife started shooting with one of these. It consists of a pair of standard issue soviet 2 point rifle slings; one for round the arm and one for the fore end to arm loop, with a customised link between the two. I'll find out if I can get hold of any more, as my autographed Martynov sling isn't for sale :-)
PeteJ
Arc

Post by Arc »

Has anyone gotten a lead on getting this kind of sling? Does anyone from, say, a club in the former Soviet states have a box of these just laying around? I would be very interested in taking one off your hands.
RossM

Post by RossM »

Ummmm.....guys......its a sling. It holds the rifle up. That is all.

These ones are old school. Newer school was leather. Opinion stated that both of these were unstable in different weather conditions. They stretched was the cry.

Then came the synthetic ones. They were alleged to not stretch. Ergo: better then best.

I have a 1974(ish) 1813 hanging around. It must be good if people think the old sling must be good cos they are both used by this shooter.

He can shoot. He can shoot very well. I suspect he can shoot with any other rifle and sling you might like to try him with.

Ther is nothing like sticking to what you know. Master that, then and only then consider alternatives.

Rant finished.
remmy223

Post by remmy223 »

Martynov now shoots a Bleiker... But still uses his sling and Anschutz handstop.
RobinC

Following trends?

Post by RobinC »

Hmmmm? Its the man not the sling that gets the results!

I remember the late great Malcolm Cooper doing a TV interview in his shooting kit, he had rushed to do up the buttons on his jacket and had them crossed, one out, quite a few people shot with buttons crossed for a while after that!
Tim S

Post by Tim S »

I have to say that I see nothing wrong in wanting to try a different sling design; there's nothing in herently wrong with looking at the kit used by top shooters for inspiritaton, so long as anyone doing so is realistic in their expectations of what the item will achieve.

Making a canvas sling will not be expensive, unlike buying a new rifle just becasue sshooter X has one.

Now if someone though that was due to him turing his rearsight mount back to front (look closely and you'll see he had), and that if they do they same they can win at Rio 2016 I'd say that they are clutching at straws.
RossM

Post by RossM »

Ummm.....re the rear sight.....I don't think he has. Is yours the wrong way round??

Pictures please.
Tim S

Post by Tim S »

Ross,

I did not say that Martynov has reversed his rearsight, only the mount that clamps the sight to the receiver dovetail.

Martynov uses an Anschutz 7002 rearsight, which has a separate mount, so the rearsight body can be rotated to compensate for cant. Look closely at the picture at the top of this thread. You can see that the bolt heads on the rearsight mount, which are normally on the left hand side, are on the right on Martynov's rifle. Martynov has removed the clamp and reversed it, presumably so that the clamp does not extend over the breech.
Last edited by Tim S on Wed Aug 13, 2014 4:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KennyB

Re: Russian rifle sling

Post by KennyB »

Tim, I remember seeing a pic like this a while back and thinking it might be a good idea so I tried to reverse my 7020 - but I couldn't. It just wouldn't fit the mount without binding so I gave up and reverted to the conventional way round.
Maybe some fettling with a file was involved or maybe the older versions allowed this configuration.
I might have another look at it once Bisley is over as it was a couple of years ago I tried this and I might have overlooked something.

K.