Mega link versus suis electronic targets

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

Marc Orvin

Re: Mega link versus suis electronic targets

Post by Marc Orvin »

Hemmers wrote:I was curious about hybridscore as it doesn't use a rubber roll.

Am I right in thinking the lasers cover the black, so if you're shooting in the black, they pick up those shots, and that the acoustic sensors detect shots on the white mask, on the basis if you're shooting into the white it's probably an odd bad shot and two probably won't go in the same place (through the same hole), so it's okay to have a static sheet, unlike in the black where you are expecting lots of shots to go in the same area and you needed a moving rubber strip to constantly present fresh rubber to the shooter.
You are correct.
m1963

Post by m1963 »

We wanted to post an observation of performance after almost a year of SIUS Hybridscore use- until we identified the cause we occasionally received false zeros (0.0) with the device. We have found that the issue is specifically related to cleaning of the sensors and removal of debris from the catch. In order to avoid the issue we clean all sensors and empty the trap on a weekly basis. (Shooting approximately 150 pellets a day.)

Cheers!
m1963
topper12

Post by topper12 »

Many thanks for the comments.Mega link seems to be the popular target even with the rolls.There are 100 on order for a couple of sites in Canada.
rmarsh

Post by rmarsh »

We have both Megalink and Sius at our range. We have had the Megalink targets (4 of them) for almost two years now. The one Sius for just a couple of months.

Megalink: We use the targets for 10M air rifle, 50ft smallbore and 50M smallbore. Our targets have the lift mechanisms like most of the college ranges and CMP range. I have had very little trouble with them. They work great. Paper is not that big of an issue. For air rifle and 50ft smallbore, I cut the paper rolls in half since the target hole is quite small and a half roll easily covers the hole. I also set the advance to 8mm. This combination gets you many thousands of shots per roll. I rarely need to change the foam in the back. When It does get a hole an inch or so across, I just cut a square of foam out of an old piece and patch the hole. For 50M sometimes I use rubber, sometimes paper. Paper works fine at 50M, you just use it up faster since the advance needs to be set a little higher. I usually set it 15mm. The only problem with paper is after a few shots the paper gets to be long and the wind can blow it around which can be distracting to the shooter.... especially when it flips up in front of the target when they are about to shoot!

Sius: So far we have only used our Sius for 10M air rifle, although it is easily configured for 50ft and 50M smallbore. I do like not having to mess with paper or foam, but it is really no big deal either way. Megalink software is a little more robust. If there is a fault of any kind... a wire comes unplugged...etc, just correct the issue and the Megalink comes back online. Any kind of glitch with Sius and the thing locks up and requires the computer be restarted. With the Sius, when it is first turned on each time, you have to open the program, it will tell you it is not communicating, you must restart the computer and it will work after that..... every time. Another user I know has the exact same issue. I did not get the lift for the Sius so I have no experience there.

Conclusion: After using them both for a while. I probably would give the Sius a slight advantage just because of the paper and foam. As I said, the paper and foam are no big deal on the Megalink, but you don't have to mess with it at all with Sius. In the end, both work fine. You will not be disappointed with either.
Rick Marsh

Vice-Chairman
USA Shooting Board of Directors
m1963

Post by m1963 »

rmarsh-

You make a great point about the SIUS. We have never been able to get it to connect completely on start up. It ALWAYS requires a reboot after everything is properly connected and 'green.' The target masks sold by SIUS are also not 'target' grade. When a shooter hits outside the black the masks tear. We will purchase the Kruger masks, in the future.

We have contacted SIUS (International) for support and find they are very slow (3 weeks, instead of the 3 days listed) to respond. Also, the US distributor of Sius targets (ShotResponse) is no longer in business. All business is currently routed through SIUS USA. By the way Sius USA is very quick to respond to email and telephone calls.

We still like the SIUS, despite some shortcomings.
Last edited by m1963 on Thu Mar 19, 2015 5:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rmarsh

Post by rmarsh »

I should have mentioned service / support in my review. While I have really not had any issues with either one (other than operator error), Megalink gets high marks for support. Richard answers his cell phone and returns emails promptly. Could not ask for better service.
Rick Marsh

Vice-Chairman
USA Shooting Board of Directors
Rutty

Post by Rutty »

Megalink
rmarsh wrote:
I rarely need to change the foam in the back. When It does get a hole an inch or so across, I just cut a square of foam out of an old piece and patch the hole.
I use offcuts from a local car upholstery company. The density is similar, thickness the same and it's just as easy to cut a new block each time.

Rutty
Dustin Clays

Post by Dustin Clays »

What is the cost difference? Any rough estimates?

I'd like to get at least one for our jr club if the funds come through.

Also who is the US re-seller? Or do you buy direct?

Thanks for the post- great info!
MNshooter

Post by MNshooter »

Hi:

We have the MegaLink 300 meter targets. We were one of the first MegaLink installs in the US. Richard has provided great support to the Minneapolis Rifle Club. About 2 years ago we had a lighting strike that did major damage to our system. We had a couple of problems the factory had not seen before. I called Richard on a Sunday and he answered. I called at night and he answered. I needed parts and he shipped them (no small trick since he was all over the country installing systems during out issues) no questions asked. I finally got all the problems sorted out we extremely please by the support Richard and MegaLink provided. I should mention that the systems was several years out of warrantee and we do not have a service contract on the hardware. Richard and MegaLink were a huge help.

Regards,

George Minerich
Exec. Minneapolis Rifle Club
PhilipM

Post by PhilipM »

One element that bothers me with the Elitescorer Basic is that one has to choose between the rifle version or the pistol version. The alternative is to go for the Elite club version which can handle both air pistol and air rifle but this costs twice the price of the Basic and than one is in the same price territory as e.g. the Sius HS10 Hybridscore.

The Elite software however seems to have an edge over the competitors.
proneshooter

Post by proneshooter »

MegaLink now has small bore and air rifle target heads that use lasers instead of the foam and paper used in the microphone units. Service and support is simply the best.
Rutty

Post by Rutty »

MegaLink now has small bore and air rifle target heads that use lasers instead of the foam and paper used in the microphone units. Service and support is simply the best.
Can you provide a link for these please? I have heard that they are in the pipeline but have been unable to find anything listed on the Megalink website or that of the UK agent.

We have Megalinks in our air range but hope to soon acquire some units for the rimfire range. At present we favour Meyton because of the lack of consumables.

Rutty
Ian Harris

Post by Ian Harris »

Rutty wrote:Can you provide a link for these please?
3D-Score - http://www.megalink.no/ and change the language to Norwegian.
J R

Post by J R »

It appears that the patent for this new 3D target apparatus is WO 2015047099.
Which can be viewed here:
http://bases-brevets.inpi.fr/en/documen ... b3159bbe99
Rutty

Post by Rutty »

Thanks Ian, I couldn't locate any mention of ISSF approval; but my Norweigian isn't that good! I would presume that they are waiting for that before marketing the new system internationally.

Rutty
Ian Harris

Post by Ian Harris »

Rutty wrote:... my Norweigian isn't that good!
Google Translate does a passable job with cut-and-paste.

LEDs at an angle, two sets, allowing cross-shots to be detected (I suppose not really a problem at 10m, but seem to be a problem at 50m), as well as velocity of the projectile along with the score.

ISSF approval is fairly expensive and takes time.

No mention of a full-size 25m/50m version, but it could still be in development.