Compilation of new rifle rules

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

Eric U

Compilation of new rifle rules

Post by Eric U »

All,

I've done a compilation on some of the new and improved ISSF rifle rules and made some comments on them. I did not include the new finals formats as that is covered exhaustively in the new ISSF rulebook. Feel free to add your comments or point out any rule change that I may have missed. I don't want to bash the new rules as that is done quite well elsewhere. I just want to bring them to the attention of some shooters who may not know them yet.

Eric U

6.2.2.2 Safety flags must be inserted in all rifles, pistols and semiautomatic shotguns at all times other than during authorized dry firing or live firing on a firing point. The purpose of safety flags is to visibly demonstrate when gun actions are open and guns are unloaded. To demonstrate that air rifles and air pistols are unloaded, the safety flag must be long enough to extend through the full length of the barrel.

While safety flags are not new to NRA and 3p air shooters, it is new at international events. We had to do it during the London Olympics. No big deal. Just remember that the flags have to be inserted between position changes (both qualification and finals) as well as after the first 8 minutes of prone or air final sighting time before you face the audience. The ISSF "interpretation" says they should be made of a bright colored material. String trimmer line is usually orange and works well.

6.11.1.1 Preparation and Sighting Time
Athletes must be given 15 minutes before the competition starts to make their final preparation and fire unlimited Sighting Shots.

No unlimited sighting time now. You have to get it all done in the 15 minutes allocated prior to starting the match. Everyone starts at the same time. As 3p matches are all block time now, this only applies to sighters before the first position (kneeling). If you feel that 15 minutes is not enough time to both prepare and sight in, you should get at least 15 minutes prior to this Preparation and Sighting Time to prepare and dry-fire:

· Sighting targets must be visible at least 15 minutes before the Preparation and Sighting Time starts;

6.11.6.4 If an athlete arrives late for a competition, he may participate but will not be given any extra time. If an athlete arrives after the Preparation and Sighting Time, no additional Sighting time will be given. When it can be proven that an athlete’s late arrival was due to circumstances beyond his control, the Jury must grant extra time, including time for Preparation and Sighting if this does not delay the start of the Final or disrupt the overall shooting program. In this case the Jury will determine when and on which firing point the late athlete may start.

New changes if you arrive late to your match. If you arrive after the 15 minute sighting and preparation time, but before the end of the match you will have to go straight into the match without sighters.

6.13.3 If an athlete has a gun or ammunition malfunction, he may repair it and continue shooting. If a rifle becomes disabled and cannot readily be repaired, the athlete may replace the disabled rifle with another rifle that has been approved by Equipment Control provided the Jury approves the change.

6.13.4 No extra competition time is allowed to repair or replace a gun after any malfunction in 10m, 50m and 300m Rifle Elimination or Qualification Rounds, but the Jury may allow an athlete to fire additional sighting shots after repairing a malfunctioning gun if the malfunction was ALLOWABLE.

If your rifle breaks you had better have a backup, a gunsmith, or extra parts on hand and know how to install them.

6.15.1 Individual Ties in 300m, 50m, and 10m Events
All tied scores will be broken for 300m, 50m and 10m events by applying the following Rules:
· The highest number of inner tens;
· The highest score of the last ten (10) shot series working backward by 10-shot series in full ring scoring (not inner tens or decimals) until the tie is broken;
· If any ties remain, scores will be compared on a shot-by-shot basis using inner tens (i. e. an inner ten outranks a 10 that is not an inner ten) beginning with the last shot, then the next to the last shot, etc.;
· If any ties remain, and EST are used, scores will be compared on a shot-by-shot basis using decimal ring scores beginning with the last shot, then the next to the last shot,
etc.;
· If any ties remain, the athletes must have the same ranking and must be listed in Latin alphabetical order using the athlete’s family name unless there is a tie to enter the Finals;
and
· IF DECIMAL SCORING IS USED for 10m Air Rifle or 50m Rifle Prone Elimination or Qualification events, ties will be broken by the highest score of the last ten shot series, etc. (decimal scores) and then by comparing decimal scores on a shot-by-shot basis beginning with the last shot, then the next to the last shot, etc.

Now ties are broken by who actually shoots more good shots. Great improvement from best last string for non-Olympic events and eliminates the shoot-off to get into a final for Olympic events.

7.4.1.1 One Rifle Per Event. Only one (1) rifle is allowed to be used in the Elimination, Qualification and Finals Rounds of one (1) event. The action, barrel and stock may not be exchanged, except that a detachable butt-stock may be exchanged. Accessories attached to the action, barrel or stock may be exchanged. A rifle that becomes disabled may be replaced according to Rule 6.13.3, if the Jury approves.

There are a few guys I know who shot two different rifles during their three position events in the past. Now you can't do that. Notice that this rule is applied for only one event. If you choose, you can still use one rifle for the prone event and another for the 3-position event, but not two within the same 3-position event.

7.4.1.2 Movement or Oscillation Reduction Systems. Any device, mechanism or system that actively reduces, slows or minimizes rifle oscillations or movements before the shot is released is prohibited.

This rule and the previous ill-worded edition in last fall's proposed rules gave me a lot of grief. This does not apply to barrel tuners! It also does not apply to recoil reducers built into all the top-end air rifles made today. This rule was created to prevent a future technology from making rifles (and pistols) gyro-stabilized or somehow otherwise artificially stabilized prior to shot release. Unfortunately it is still poorly written as a sling fits the definition of this rule.

7.4.2.4 The pistol grip must not extend more than 60mm from a vertical plane that is perpendicular to the centerline of the barrel.

Rifles with a movable pistol grip (or even a fixed one I suppose) cannot have the grip angled outward more than 60mm from a vertical line.

7.4.2.6 Weights
· Barrel weights within a radius of 30 mm from the center of the barrel are permitted. Barrel weights may be moved along the barrel; and
· Any other weights must be within the dimensions of the stock.

ISSF Interpretation: CHEST SUPPORT WEIGHTS ON AIR RIFLES, RULES 7.4.2.6, b & 7.6.1.2
The 2013 ISSF Rules clearly state that chest support weights (sometimes advertised as “Brustanlagen”) that project forward from the lower part of butt-plates on 50m rifles are illegal and cannot be used (Rule 7.4.5.1, d.). Questions have been raised regarding whether these chest support weights can, nevertheless, be used on air rifles. The answer is NO, chest support weights cannot be used on air rifles. The intent of the ISSF Rifle Committee is that these weights cannot be used on any rifles. 7.4.2.6, b. states that any weights on air rifles other than barrel weights “must be within the dimensions of the stock.” Chest support weights do not comply with this rule. Rule 7.6.1.2 that defines the standing position makes it clear that “the rifle must not touch the jacket or chest beyond the area of the right shoulder.” Chest support weights that project forward from the lower butt-plate potentially violate this rule as well. Chest support weights that are attached to 50m rifle or 10m air rifle butt-plates are illegal.

This one has been beaten to death on TargetTalk already. Wood stocks are exempt I guess? As far as I can tell, many of these weights and chest pads that have been used on aluminum stock air rifles and 300m standard rifles were put there to emulate the natural stability and stock fit in the firing shoulder area that has been enjoyed by users of wood stocks for generations.

7.4.5 Standards for 50m Rifles
· Weights on or in the lower part of the stock or butt-stock, may not extend horizontally further from the centerline of the barrel than the distance of the maximum extension of the cheek-piece from the centerline of the barrel. Weights cannot extend further to the rear than a line perpendicular to the deepest point in the butt-plate; and
· Weights on the rifle fore-end may extend no lower than 90 mm below the centerline of the barrel and not further forward than 700 mm from the back (rear) end of the system.

They need to draw me a picture of the first part of this one as I have no idea what they are trying to say. The second part is new as previously there was no limit to the length of the weights or distance from the barrel. Beware if you are using older accessory rail mounted weights.

7.4.5.1 Butt Plate and Hook
A butt hook that complies with the following restrictions may be used;
· The butt hook projecting rearward from the bottom of the butt plate must not extend more than 153 mm (A) past the rear of a line that is perpendicular to a line drawn through the axis of the bore of the rifle, and that is tangent to the deepest part of the butt plate depression that normally rests against the shoulder;
· The butt hook projecting from the bottom of the butt plate must have a total outside length around any curve or bend of not more than 178 mm (B);
· The top projection of the butt plate must not extend more than 25 mm to the rear of this perpendicular line; and
· Any devices or weights projecting forward from the lower portion of the butt plate are prohibited.

The 3rd bullet is of concern here. I had to trim off part of the top of my 25 year old buttplate to meet the new requirement of 25mm maximum top projection. I did not have the top of my buttplate even extended 1/2 of it's possible range. Just by doing a cursory check at the first match I shot this year showed me that at least half of the competitors did not know of this new rule and were in violation.

7.5.1.7 If shorts are worn during competitions, the bottom of the leg must be no less than 15 cm above the center of the kneecap.

As shooting pants are no longer allowed in the prone event, this will be a rule that rifle shooters may have to know about, especially in hot climates. Pistol shooters have known about this for years. Hopefully I'll be exercising this rule in Granada this summer.

7.5.3 Shooting Shoes
Normal street type or light athletic shoes are permitted in all positions. Special shooting shoes not exceeding the following specifications may be worn only in 10m and 50m 3 Position events. Special shooting shoes must not be worn in Rifle Prone events.

No shooting shoes in prone. Means those with the balanced foot on the toe position will have to figure something else out.

7.5.3.2 The shoe sole must be constructed of the same material that is flexible in the entire forward part of the foot. Athletes may use removable inner soles or inserts in their shoes, but any inserts must also be flexible in the forward part of the foot.

The shoe sole must follow the external curvature of the shoe and may not extend more than 5.0 mm beyond the external dimensions of the shoe at any point. Toes or heels may not be cut square or flat.

ISSF Interpretation: SHOOTING SHOES FOR RIFLE AND PISTOL, RULES 7.5 & 8.5.6
The requirement introduced two years ago to use a testing device to check the flexibility of the soles of shooting shoes worn by rifle athletes (Rule 7.5.2.3) and pistol athletes (Rule 8.5.6) continues to apply. The rule requirement that “athletes must walk normally at all times while on the field of play” also continues to apply (Rules 7.5.3.3 and 8.5.6, d.). Juries will give warnings and penalties for violations. The 2013 ISSF Rules have a new requirement that the soles of shooting boots worn by rifle athletes (Rule 7.5.3.6) may not extend more than 5 mm “beyond the external dimensions of the shoe” and that the entire sole, including the toe and heel “must follow the external curvature of the shoe.” This means that the square toes and heels on older shooting shoes must be modified so they follow the curvature of the shoe. This modification can, however, easilybe done by an athlete or coaches who uses a belt sander or grinder to remove the excess sole material. ISSF Equipment Control Officers will require shoe toes and heels to have a continuous curve around the toe and heel. Toes and heels with flat or square surfaces will not be approved.

Get out your belt sanders and round off the toes on your $250 shooting boots. This also means that any old Sauer shooting boots with the built in squared off toe and heel are automatically illegal. Back when I was still shooting 3p, I met the flexibility requirement by cutting nearly through the sole of the shoe with a bandsaw.

7.5.4.5 The construction of the side panel may not place any horizontal seam or seams under the elbow of the support arm in the standing position.

ISSF Interpretation:
The 2013 ISSF Rules contain a new restriction that “the construction of the (left) side panel may not place any horizontal or seams under the elbow of the support arm in Checking rifle jacket seams: This test must be done while the athlete is wearing the jacket and holding the rifle in the standing position. Rifle jacket side panel seams may not lie in the seam free zone that is 70mm above the elbow line and 20mm below the elbow line. Shooting boots with heels and toes modified to comply with 2013 Rule 7.5 the standing position.” Extensive testing during the International Air Gun Competition in Munich in January 2013 was done to develop guidelines for testing jackets and interpreting this rule. This test must be done while the athlete wears his jacket fully clothed and is holding the rifle in the standing position. If the shooting jacket has a seam (horizontal seam or other seams) that lies under the support arm in standing, the location of the seam must be measured from the tip of the elbow (a horizontal line must be projected back to the jacket). Any permitted seam must be at least (more than) 20 mm below or 70 mm above that point. Seams within this area must be removed. Seams that are higher than 70 mm above or more than 20 mm below the tip of the elbow are legal and do not have to be changed.

This rule has probably caused more grief amongst 3p and air rifle shooters than any other technical rule adopted this year. While the original intent was to eliminate a few manufacturers jackets that were clearly providing an obvious extra large seam to act as a "shelf" for a standing shooter to place their elbow on, the new and improved "interpretation" from the ISSF basically makes about 70%-80% of current jackets illegal.

This rule does not apply to prone-only shooters.

7.5.4.6 The athlete must be capable of fully extending both arms (straighten sleeves) while wearing the buttoned jacket. In the prone and kneeling positions, the sleeve of the shooting jacket must not extend beyond the wrist of the arm on which the sling is attached. The sleeve must not be placed between the hand or glove and the fore-end of the stock when the athlete is in the shooting position.

There are some very position specific jackets out there that you simply cannot extend your arms straight in. They are now illegal. I remember being at a World Cup a few years ago when some of the air rifle ladies would come waddling into the finals hall with pants and shoes so stiff they walked like penguins, and their arms bent at about a 90 degree angle...almost like they were holding an invisible flower bouquet. No more.

7.5.5.4 Shooting trousers must not be worn in the Rifle Prone events, but
they may be worn in the prone stages of Rifle 3 Positions events.

ISSF Interpretation: TROUSERS FOR 50M RIFLE PRONE EVENTS, RULE 7.5.5.4
The new 2013 ISSF Rules do not permit athletes to wear shooting trousers in 50m Prone Rifle events; shooting trousers may be worn during the prone stages of the 50m Rifle 3 Position events. Rule 7.5.5.1 states “If special shooting trousers are not worn, ordinary trousers may be worn...” Rule 6.7.6 states “Clothing worn by athletes...must comply with the ISSF Dress Code.” This means that athletes in 50m and 300m Rifle Prone events may wear training or other sport trousers, but they may not wear blue jeans or similar trousers that are not permitted by the ISSF Dress Code.

Remember, no camouflage, cutoffs, jeans etc. in the prone position. Here is a larger excerpt from the interpretation of those rules:

The intention of ISSF rifle, pistol and shotgun clothing rules is that athletes in competitions must wear sports-type clothing that incorporates or displays national, NOC or National Federations colors and emblems. Appropriate clothing for wear during competitions includes training suits, tracksuits or warm-up uniforms, etc. as issued by National Federations or NOCs.
Prohibited clothing items for competitions and award ceremonies include blue jeans, jeans or similar trousers in non-sporting colors, camouflage clothing, sleeveless T-shirts, shorts that are too short (seeRule 6.7.6.1, not more than 15 cm above the center of the knee), ragged cut-off shorts, all types of sandals, trousers with patches or holes as well as shirts or trousers with non-sporting or inappropriate messages (See Rule 6.12.1, no propaganda). Sporting colors should be national uniform colors. If national colors are not worn, non-sporting colors that should be avoided are camouflage, plaids, khaki, olive or brown.

7.5.8.7 Visor or Cap A cap or visor may be worn, but it must not touch or rest on the rear sight while the athlete is shooting. The cap or visor may extend forward of the athlete’s forehead no more than 80 mm and may not be worn in a way that makes it a side blinder

I'm not 100% certain on this rule, but I think the 80mm cap bill length is new, and I don't think my 10 month old "new" Sauer hat will work...the bill is too long.

7.5.8.3 Rifle Rests
The use of a rifle rest for resting the rifle between shots is permitted providing that no part of the stand is higher than the athlete’s shoulders when in the standing position. A stand for resting the rifle must not be placed in front of the shooting table or bench in the standing position. A kneeling roll may be used as a rifle rest. Care must be exercised that while resting the rifle, it does not intrude on the athlete one either side. For safety while the rifle is on the rifle rest, it must be held by the athlete.

ISSF Interpretation:
RIFLE RESTS OR STANDS, RULE 7.5.8.3
The 2013 ISSF Rules state that no part of the stand, including the support column, may be “higher than the athlete’s shoulders when in the standing position.” This is interpreted to mean the TOP of the shoulder and that stands must be checked when the athlete is holding the rifle in the standing position. Athletes and coaches should note that shoulders are normally lower in the standing position than while standing erect and must adjust shooting stand heights accordingly.

This rule is new in that the height of the standing stand is measured from shoulder height while in the shooting position, not as it was previously measured from standing height, but not in position holding the rifle.

7.5.8.6 Kneeling Heel Pad
A separate piece of flexible, compressible material with maximum dimensions of 20 cm x 20 cm may be placed on the heel in the kneeling position. The kneeling heel pad may be no thicker than 10mm when compressed with the measuring device used to measure rifle clothing thickness.

I couldn't actually find the rule that eliminated the butt-pad on shooting trousers, but they are eliminated. You can use the pad described above on your heel if you feel it causes discomfort in the kneeling position. The fact that the heel of the boot is now rounded will probably help. Most of the 3p shooters I know don't use the kneeling heel pad now.

7.7.1 50m and 300m 3 Positions events must be fired in order:
Kneeling – Prone – Standing.

Most of you already know this. The final was devised to be in this order because: standing is the most difficult position so it should be last in the final. You wouldn't want to be shooting standing after having your foot fall asleep in kneeling, so prone should be fired before standing. Since the final is shot in this order, so should the qualification. There is actually some logic in there...
Last edited by Eric U on Tue Mar 26, 2013 8:20 am, edited 3 times in total.
David Levene

Re: Compilation of new rifle rules

Post by David Levene »

Eric U wrote:6.11.6.4 If an athlete arrives late for a competition, he may participate but will not be given any extra time. If an athlete arrives after the Preparation and Sighting Time, no additional Sighting time will be given. When it can be proven that an athlete’s late arrival was due to circumstances beyond his control, the Jury must grant extra time, including time for Preparation and Sighting if this does not delay the start of the Final or disrupt the overall shooting program. In this case the Jury will determine when and on which firing point the late athlete may start.

New changes if you arrive late to your match. At least now you can try to shoot along if you get there late. Before you would just be disqualified.
Not true. Apart from amendments to account for the the prep & sighting time the rule is the same as it was (same rule number) in the 2009 rules. "If a shooter arrives late for a competition, he may participate but will not be credited with any extra time ..."
Eric U wrote:7.5.1.7 If shorts are worn during competitions, the bottom of the leg must be no less than 15 cm above the center of the kneecap.

As shooting pants are no longer allowed in the prone event, this will be a rule that rifle shooters may have to know about, especially in hot climates. Pistol shooters have known about this for years. Hopefully I'll be exercising this rule in Granada this summer.
Rifle rule 7.5.1.7 says "... not less than 15 cm ..."
Pistol rule 8.5.2 says "... not more than 15 cm ..."
Eric U wrote:7.5.8.6 Kneeling Heel Pad
A separate piece of flexible, compressible material with maximum dimensions of 20 cm x 20 cm may be placed on the heel in the kneeling position. The kneeling heel pad may be no thicker than 10mm when compressed with the measuring device used to measure rifle clothing thickness.

I couldn't actually find the rule that eliminated the butt-pad on shooting trousers, but they are eliminated. You can use the pad described above on your heel if you feel it causes discomfort in the kneeling position. The fact that the heel of the boot is now rounded will probably help. Most of the 3p shooters I know don't use the kneeling heel pad now.
2013 rules 7.5.5.3 & 7.5.5.5 compared to 2009 rules 7.4.7.8.2.3 & 7.4.7.8.2.4
martyn

7.5.4.5 The construction of the side panel may not place any

Post by martyn »

Hi Eric

Silly question but does this rule apply to people who only shoot prone?
RobStubbs

Post by RobStubbs »

Great job Eric.

Martyn,
Rules apply to all rifle events unless they are listed in just the air rifle sub-section for example. One question around the jacket seam, has been asked before i.e. whether it applies to prone only shooters. I'm not sure I've seen a definitive answer, but I'm hoping as it must be checked 'in the shooting position' that it will be checked by jury during official pre-event training for 3P and AR.

I think my (used for prone only) jacket is OK, but a lot wouldn't be.

Rob.
Eric U

Post by Eric U »

Adjustments made to my original document on the arriving late rule.

I'm pretty sure the ISSF wrote the rifle shorts length rule incorrectly as they don't want fat old guys shooting in short shorts any more than I do.

I don't know what rule David is referring to in reference to the butt pad rule as I don't have a 2009 rulebook. In 2009 they made a rule about the height of allowed butt pad on shooting trousers. In 2013 they eliminated the sewn-in trousers butt pad altogether and made it a separate piece that you can place on your heel during kneeling only.

In reference to the jacket seam rule for prone...it doesn't apply. It specifically mentions testing for standing in the standing position.

A lot of these rules will be made clear when we get to the Korea World Cup in a week.

Eric U
dschaller

Post by dschaller »

Hi Eric,

Do you have any clarification on the following rule?

7.4.2.4 The pistol grip must not extend more than 60mm from a vertical plane that is perpendicular to the centerline of the barrel.

Rifles with a movable pistol grip (or even a fixed one I suppose) cannot have the grip angled outward more than 60mm from a vertical line.

As an engineer, a "...plane that is perpendicular to the barrel" can only be oriented parallel to the muzzle of the gun. The plane could only be "vertical" if the barrel was aimed perfectly parallel to the floor. Have you seen a drawing that clarifies this? Seems to be another very poorly worded rule.
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

Eric U wrote:I'm pretty sure the ISSF wrote the rifle shorts length rule incorrectly as they don't want fat old guys shooting in short shorts any more than I do.
I thought that the rule differences indicated they thought that rifle shooters had better legs than pistol shooters.
Eric U wrote:I don't know what rule David is referring to in reference to the butt pad rule as I don't have a 2009 rulebook.
The 2009 rule began "Reinforcements may be added to the seat and both knees of the trousers. The seat patch must not exceed the width of the hips and the vertical measurement must not be longer than to cover the normal wear points on the seat of the wearer."

This was effectively an exemption from the thickness rules for the seat and knee pads. It is now just an exemption for knee pads.
adrianS

Post by adrianS »

Eric U wrote: 7.4.2.4 The pistol grip must not extend more than 60mm from a vertical plane that is perpendicular to the centerline of the barrel.

I read this as not being able to have any part of the grip extend beyond a +-60mm lateral range, whether by angling or sliding laterally.
Eric U wrote: 7.4.5 Standards for 50m Rifles
· Weights on or in the lower part of the stock or butt-stock, may not extend horizontally further from the centerline of the barrel than the distance of the maximum extension of the cheek-piece from the centerline of the barrel. Weights cannot extend further to the rear than a line perpendicular to the deepest point in the butt-plate; and
· Weights on the rifle fore-end may extend no lower than 90 mm below the centerline of the barrel and not further forward than 700 mm from the back (rear) end of the system.

They need to draw me a picture of the first part of this one as I have no idea what they are trying to say. The second part is new as previously there was no limit to the length of the weights or distance from the barrel. Beware if you are using older accessory rail mounted weights.
I've read this rule over and over ad nauseum and here's my best translation:

7.4.5 Standards for 50m Rifles
· Weights on or in the lower part of the stock or butt-stock, may not laterally extend further from the centerline of the barrel past the distance of the maximum lateral extension of the cheek-piece from the centerline of the barrel. Weights cannot extend back past the rearmost point of the butt-plate; and
· Weights on the rifle fore-end may extend no lower than 90 mm below the centerline of the barrel and not past 700 mm forward of the rearmost point of the system(action).
Eric U

Post by Eric U »

Just because this is a Sticky now doesn't mean you can't comment on this thread or add to it.

Eric U
RobinC

Jackets

Post by RobinC »

Eric
Are you positive that the seam rule does not apply in prone? I agree it's sensible that it dos'nt, but no were in the rules despite all the interpretations and ammendments is there an exception declared.

I was told by a senior person well versed in the rules that there are only one set of rules for rifle clothing and jackets, there are no exceptions stated in the rules and that technically as written even for prone the rule could apply even though you would be tested standing?
Its common sense that it should not apply so will we now have two jacket specs?
Robin
Eric U

Post by Eric U »

To me it is pretty clear from the words that the seam is tested "in the standing position". To me that means suited up to shoot standing, not just standing there in your prone jacket. While in position (prone) your elbow is not near any seam, therefore good by the 20/70 standard.

Guess I'll find out tomorrow as that's when I'm to go through equipment control in Changwon. I'll post an update after I get back to the hotel.

Agreed that a more clearly written rule would be best.

Eric U
Eric U

Post by Eric U »

Went through equipment control today in Changwon and they couldn't care less about the jacket seam for prone. There were only Korean jury members doing equipment control when I went through so I couldn't really ask any good questions due to language barriers. There are some ISSF technical committee and rules committee members here so I will try to talk to them at some point in time this week.

Eric U
RobStubbs

Post by RobStubbs »

Eric U wrote:Went through equipment control today in Changwon and they couldn't care less about the jacket seam for prone. There were only Korean jury members doing equipment control when I went through so I couldn't really ask any good questions due to language barriers. There are some ISSF technical committee and rules committee members here so I will try to talk to them at some point in time this week.

Eric U
Thanks for the update, we'll be keeping an eye on the results :)

Rob.
Grzegorz

Post by Grzegorz »

On some photos from this WCup I see Derek Ivy, Gary Anderson. In spite of the fact that I am pretty sure no jury member is going to detect "a seam 20/70 position" in prone (jury members are serious guys) these two distinguished gentlemen appearently know the answer :-)
Eric U

Post by Eric U »

As far as I'm concerned, the most drastic rule change I've experienced so far is the time limit reduction in prone. Now there is simply no time to wait for a wind condition. In bad conditions you had better be able to shade and shade big.

Eric U
Colin

Post by Colin »

Just watched the womens 3p final, there's not much time there also, think it's going to affect a certain German shooter's style in the Finals.
As Eric says your going to have to learn to shade and shoot quick with this new set up.

edit Just noticed the Finals were shot outdoors, does this apply to all cartridge finals from now on ?
RobStubbs

Post by RobStubbs »

Colin wrote:.
edit Just noticed the Finals were shot outdoors, does this apply to all cartridge finals from now on ?
Pretty sure the answer is no.

Rob.
redschietti

Post by redschietti »

Can anyone confirm if the Sauer boots are legal or not? Even at the WC at Benning the answer was unclear. Pretty sure is not an answer!!
RobinC

Saur boots

Post by RobinC »

I have a shooter with Saur, as long as the toes and heels are cut so there is no flat on the sole, and you can do this by grinding close to the front and back corners and then radiusing out to the 5 mm max. My shooters boots passed on this, and the bend test requireing no cuts.
jhmartin

Re: Saur boots

Post by jhmartin »

RobinC wrote:I have a shooter with Saur, as long as the toes and heels are cut so there is no flat on the sole, and you can do this by grinding close to the front and back corners and then radiusing out to the 5 mm max. My shooters boots passed on this, and the bend test requireing no cuts.
Great to know Robin ... Thanks ... just what we have done to our Sauer boots.