79%
No
21%

Total votes: 39

joel

Post by joel »

sureshot007

Post by sureshot007 »

I think if someone really wanted to, they could save a lot of effort and just build replica win52 actions. Mine is still awesome, and I'm proud to say that it's 99% American Made! (I have Gehmann front/rear irises).
damonlan

For those that don't have lots of $

Post by damonlan »

http://www.l3ps.net/home.html

Just convert a Savage Mark 1 FVT. For those that want to shoot with proper gear, be competitive, and don't have thousands of dollars just laying around. Or for those that want their young shooter not to be held back at competition. The whole idea here was to make a rifle that holds it's own against the more expensive brands, but at a fraction of the cost.
Last edited by damonlan on Wed Aug 06, 2014 5:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Damon Landschoot
Cibola County, New Mexico
4H Shooting Sports Instructor
svensta

Post by svensta »

damonlan

I like the idea of taking the affordable Savage Mark 1 FVT and making it competitive.
I really wish Savage would make a better stock for it since it is more of a formal target
rifle rather than a cheap plinker.
damonlan

Post by damonlan »

Yeah, I contacted Savage and they were unwilling. So that's where I stepped up. I make them, and that is my website link. Those stocks Savage has are cookie cutter across many of their rifles and literally cost them only a couple of dollars to make, after the initial cost of purchasing the mold of course. They sell them for around $45, so that makes their profit margin about 700% or more. They just aren't going to spend the money into R&D for the needs of a modern smallbore competition rifle.

http://www.l3ps.net/home.html

Anyhow, if you know of anyone that is interested in doing the conversion, please send them to my website. I am working on a blue laminate stock now with blue anodized hardware that is going to be absolutely beautiful. I'll drop in an new Mark I FVT and do the trigger job to 1 pound and it will be a true work of art that is sure to bring home some bling. My niece is going to love it.
Damon Landschoot
redschietti

Post by redschietti »

I love your idea/product, but a one pound trigger is still pretty heavy.
damonlan

Trigger wieght for offhand shoting

Post by damonlan »

Let me clarify for purposes of this discussion. The trigger job will set the trigger to 14oz to 16oz if measured from the center of the trigger, where most measure from. However, I encourage users of this rifle to use the AccuTrigger toe as the reference for placing the swirl of fingerprint repeatedly for every shot. If measured down there, the trigger pull weight comes in at 12oz to 15oz, which is about right for offhand, 3P shooting.

Yes, more work can be done with springs and polishing sears to go down below 10oz, but I believe that to be a bit low for this sport. Going below 8oz really puts the rifle into Bench Rest territory, and I would not allow any of the teenagers I instruct to shoot smallbore rifles with benchrest pull weights. Now air rifles, sure, bring 'em down to 2oz if you want.
Damon Landschoot
Andre

Post by Andre »

I don't care about where my rifle was made or who made it. If it shoots well, fits me, and replacement parts and accessories are findable thats all that matters to me.

I know a guy who shoots a Win52 with a homemade stock, one ugly colorful contraption but boy he shoots well with it. Beats my prone scores standing all day long.
damonlan

"If it . . . . . fits me . . . . "

Post by damonlan »

That is the whole point of my rifle stock Andre, to get a precision rifle that fits all. It can be adjusted to fit anyone. The Savage design is confusing. It has precision class type sights but a sporter class type stock that fits almost no one. Even if shooting the NRA class "The Rifle" which requires a 3lb trigger pull, the rifle should still fit the shooter. And the savage barrel/rifle (minus the crappy stock) is capable of 10 tens if using the right ammo.
Damon Landschoot
mobarron

Re: American Made Gun

Post by mobarron »

There no question that you could have an almost all-American made smallbore rifle but you'll have to assemble the parts yourself. The .22 RF benchrest shooters have established that we have American made actions, barrels and triggers that provide world-class accuracy. Good American made front and rear sights are available. OK - the front apertures will probably be German.

It's more dicey with the stock, cheekpiece and buttplate hardware. We have a number of gunsmith/stockmakers who will make the stock to your liking and there is thumbwheel checkpiece hardware that works well. But you will probably want to buy one of the German or British buttplate assemblies. My guess is that all the parts and the gunsmith charges would be in the same range as the high-end Anschutz or Walther rifles - close to $4K. Once you have it you'll be able to buy (ouch!) and shoot British and German made match ammunition. American! Forget it. Mike Barron