BSA Martini International MK II

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

rapidfireXring

Re: BSA Martini International MK II

Post by rapidfireXring »

If you would like to send the Mk. V to me, I would appreciate it very much. I have been on the hunt for another Mk. V for some time, and nothing has shown up. Nice find and I suppose the hunt was a long one.
BR1942

Post by BR1942 »

The search has been long endeed but has finally been successful.

Papers to bring it to Spain are really complicated but I think everything is ok .
In April I will go to Zurich to get and test a few days there and then bring it to Spain.

Then I' ll try in my club in Madrid at 50 and 100 m and compare with my 2013.

Thanks for all
Tim S

Post by Tim S »

That's a tidy looking rifle.

I notice that there is an adaptor between the rearsight and the eyepiece. I would inspect this carefully, as I know of several that are poorly made and the threads are not concentric. In one case the adaptor prevented a normal sight picture.
BR1942

Post by BR1942 »

Thank you for your advise.
Thread adapter is suitable to put a ISSF iris on the original Parker Hale diopter.
Another pic

GeraldC

Post by GeraldC »

BSA in alloy stock halfway down page
http://www.targettalk.org/viewtopic.php ... 3&start=20
BR1942

Post by BR1942 »

Nice project!!!. Congratulations.

Fixing the stock by the barrel is a smart solution that now uses GE600 evolution stocks.
Contact is made through o rings.

Christian Salva also does on their rifles

http://christian.salva.free.fr/Carabine ... 3%20Po.htm

Have you tested the accuracy of your mkV?
Durkee Atwood

Post by Durkee Atwood »

The BSA Martini International is not as forgiving as an Anschutz 54. However, it is possible to consistently put 8 - 9mm spreads on 25yd (10 target cards). I have been shooting prone for three years and after shooting a club BSA Martini International and putting in several possibles as well as numerous scores above 96, I decided to buy my own and resist the temptation of getting an Anschutz.

The BSA is challenging and requires a gentle touch as it can throw more than the occasional 8 if you aren't completely relaxed. That said, it is a beautiful rifle and worth a look at the right price. I shoot Elley Edge in mine and requires regular cleaning or cases get stuck. It could be that the chamber is slightly tighter or the extractor prongs not as positive as the extractor on Bolt action rifles.

Buying a Martini International Mk4 or Mk5
In my opinion these are just as accurate as the Mk2 and not as likely to be shot out. Why? because the BSA lost favour after the Mk3 (floating barrel) became a liability (wobbly forstock). However with the later MK4/5, (supported forstock) in an attempt to improve accuracy many will over-tighten the barrel cross-bolts and this will cant the barrel. This is not good as it alters the way the extractor prongs meet the case rim. This was because of the preferred tight sling tight in shoulder caused deflection. The BSA needs a gentler setup and the perfect hold.

If you are patient and have developed the truly relaxed hold then this rifle will serve you well at club level. Spares can be got from John Knibbs Airgun spares. http://www.airgunspares.com/store/produ ... ctor-Claw/