Anschutz Modell 1411/1413 Match 54

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

NMC_EXP

Anschutz Modell 1411/1413 Match 54

Post by NMC_EXP »

I've searched the forum and found no reference to the barrel marking:

Modell 1411/1413 Match 54

What vintage would this be and would it be a single or dual extractor?

Thanks

Jim
justadude

Post by justadude »

Just offhand it sounds like it would be in the 1970s and have a twin extractor. Just an educated guess.

To get a year range, it is much easier if you can find out if it is a 5 or 6 digit serial number.

If you tell us how many digits and just the first 3 someone here will know the year.

The first 6 digits arrived late 1972 to early 1973.

'Dude
NMC_EXP

Post by NMC_EXP »

Dude

So far I'm going from a few non-detailed photos and limited description. I'll get more info from the seller.

Also trying to convince myself to look for something newer than a 14xx series.

Thanks

Jim
justadude

Post by justadude »

Don't be too down on the 14xx barreled actions. From the sounds of it this is likely from the mid-1970s and that was regarded as one of the better eras for Anschutz factory barrels.

Since this is a M54 action it can be dropped right into a modern stock inletted for that action if you so desire.

If this rifle has the older steel framed trigger or a single stage trigger you can install the appropriate version of the updated 5071 trigger if you like.

If the slower lock time of the "wing bolt" bothers you, you can update that as well. I will say, if it comes to that it would be simpler to just look for an 18xx or 19xx rifle.

'Dude
NMC_EXP

Post by NMC_EXP »

Dude

My only concern with the older rilfes is parts if something breaks. As to what coud break I suppose that includes: firing pin, extractor, ejector, trigger group, and ?

Is there much difference in parts availability of the 14xx series vs say the 18xx series? Is that worth being concerned about?

Buying a new rifle is not an option.

Regards

Jim
MNshooter

Anschutz 1411 / 1413

Post by MNshooter »

Hi:

To get an idea of your rifles age check: http://www.rifleman.org.uk/Anschutz.htm

My 1413 shoots great. It is a 1974 model and I have never replaced a broken part. Most parts can be found on the internet.

If you want to update the trigger the new 5071 trigger fits.
justadude

Post by justadude »

Parts availability for the 14xx is modest. As far as I know firing pins, and springs are still available. I have never seen nor heard of an extractor failure on an Anschutz. In extremely rare high usage cases I have seen the cocking cam wear out, this part is no longer available and the bolt and trigger need to be updated to the 19xx version.

The triggers on the 1411 (single stage) and 1413 (two stage) are simple and robust. Problems are usually brought on more by failure to maintain them (keep the dust out, letting cleaning fluid drip down into the mechanism, etc.) than mechanical wear and tear.

The 5071 trigger is now the standard Anschutz trigger. There is however a special version for the 14xx series actions. There is a slight difference in the location of the firing pin catch on the release lever so you can't just screw on any 5071 trigger. While not absolutely necessary, the greater adjustment of the #5071 trigger over the two stage trigger that was common to the 1413 is a worthwhile upgrade, if for no other reason, the greater adjust-ability.

Good Luck,
'Dude
Tim S

Post by Tim S »

I have to contradiuct 'dude here, but a barrel marked 1411 or 1413 would date to the early 1960s, not the 1970s.

Anschutz introduced the four digit model numbers in the late '50s/early '60s. At this point they decided to mark the model number on the barrel, so you see 1411, 1413, 1409 (usually heavy), and 1408(lightweight). However they stopped this practise after a few years, I imagine to save time and production costs, since there was no difference between a 1411 or 1413 barrel except the stamping. The latest barrel I've seen marked with the model number was 1964, this and all other similarly marked barrels had a single extractor.

A 1970s 14xx rifle should be marked "Modell Match 54".

Most of other other advice is spot on. 1400 rifles were well made, and many still shoot well if maintained properly.

However the current standard Match 54 trigger is the 5018, and has been since 1980. This replaced the 5071 (introduced 1977). The 5018 and 5071 are mechanically identical except for the sear; the contact point is about 2mm further forwards on the 5018. The two triggers are not interchangeable.

The 5071 is compatible with a 1400 Match 54 rifle, but for pre-1977 models a little work is needed. The sear pivots on a cross pin; this will foul on the underside of a pre-'77 action unless the pin is trimmed. The 5071 housing is larger than on pre-'77 triggers, so you may need to chisel away wood from the stock as well.

Tim
Last edited by Tim S on Sun Jul 15, 2012 3:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
bored184

Post by bored184 »

Ive got an older 1413 that I just recently started shooting. I shot my first prone match with it and shot a 379/400. Once I get everything figured out I am hoping my scores will improve a bit more. If given the opportunity I would definitely purchase another.
mbradley

Post by mbradley »

I have the lighter 1407 and it shoots great. Like Dude said, I dropped in a modern target rifle stock - Jeff Madison's tuner stock. I am very happy with it.
310cadet

Re: Anschutz Modell 1411/1413 Match 54

Post by 310cadet »

I have a 1963 Match 54 it is serial No. is 35591. The club member I got it from bought it new, won the state titles in 1966 with it. He would never part with it because it was so accurate! He never put a cleaning rod thru the barrel, only a pull thru brush on a bore rope, much like the a .303 rifle cleaning kit. I shot it twice at 20M and my bad shots were exactly where I called them, so I bought it! Anyone got any info on its vintage? I am yet to strip it, and clean it, if it needs it. A 5071 trigger will be installed, and I will make another alloy stock as I once did for my last M54 rifle I had. I love this old girl!!
justadude

Post by justadude »

cadet,

With a confirmed 63 production year and the low serial number you have what I call the first generation: single extractor and the back of the bolt is very squared off.

The biggest difference between yours and the second generation, dual extractors and slightly rounded back to the bolt, are some of the bolt mechanicals.

The reality is these rifles are dead simple, so long as you get old dried up grease or oil out of the trigger and bolt there is not much that can go wrong with them. With 50 years on it, I would consider running the present trigger though an ultrasonic cleaner. There is a small amount of work involved with mounting the 5071 trigger. Clearance for the cross pin and inletting the stock for the larger trigger frame.

If you got frisky and wanted convert to 18/19xx mechanicals which would include a dual extractor bolt, the barrel would need to be removed and a second extractor relief milled in. Likely not worth the effort as my thoughts are when a rifle reaches a certain age still in original condition it is nice to leave it that way.

I am not aware of any discussions about lock time between the first and second generation M54 action. Probably not as much of a concern back in the 60s.

Have Fun
'Dude
310cadet

Post by 310cadet »

Thanks dude! I have cleaned trigger out, but the old fella who had it looked after it well, it was pretty clean. I never seen him put a cleaning rod, down the barrel, only a patch type thing on a pull cord. Must have been some method in his madness, cos the old girl shoots well. All bad shots are where I call them, and the bore looks excellent for a 50 yo rifle. I must confess to putting a cleaning rod thru the bore, now its takin its time to re group/re lead! Lol
310cadet

Post by 310cadet »

What size groups/scores are people shooting with these vintage marvels?
BigAl

Post by BigAl »

310cadet wrote:What size groups/scores are people shooting with these vintage marvels?
Well it depends on what targets you are shooting at. A good one, with a low round count and correctly matched ammunition could quite easily shoot possibles consistently on the ISSF target at 50m. That would be 100-10X on the US A23 type target. Of course you would need a shooter of commensurate skill, but the basic accuracy. It's really down to the ammunition though, as even the very top level match brands like Tenex vary considerably from batch to batch. So much so that one batch of Tenex may shoot 11mm EtE groups and another may be over 22mm, as it takes a 21mm group to just stay in the ISSF bull that could not be so good for scores. The batch that produces the 22mm groups in one barrel amy produce the 11-12mm groups in another barrel that matches it better.

As another note I would really avoid using a pull through on a match rifle. There is no way to stop the cord rubbing against the crown and damaging it. I would hesitate to buy a rifle if I knew that it had been cleaned regularly using a pull through. Damage to the crown is oft one of the most overlooked issues on a rifle, but seems to be so important to accuracy. I would always reccomend a good quality one piece rod, a good quality bore guide, and quality brushes etc for cleaning. I prefer the AFG cleaning felts rather than patches myself. They are always going to fit the bore correctly.

Alan
patriot

Post by patriot »

BigAl wrote:
310cadet wrote:What size groups/scores are people shooting with these vintage marvels?
As another note I would really avoid using a pull through on a match rifle. There is no way to stop the cord rubbing against the crown and damaging it. I would hesitate to buy a rifle if I knew that it had been cleaned regularly using a pull through.

Alan
Amen brother. It is odd how many people don't want to hear that loading up a snake with primer compound and dragging it across the crown is a bad idea.

Mark
Bob Smalser

Post by Bob Smalser »

Ditto. ;)

Bob
gwsb

Post by gwsb »

An Anschutz barrel is marked with a 2 digit year designation. A 1400 series may be single or dual extractor.

The main difference between a 1400 and 1800 is the 1800 has a very fast lock time and this matters a lot. Also most 1400 barrels have been around so long that most have lost their edge and it can be hard to tell because it happens gradually and the shooter begins to think it is other factors like their eyes, their ammo, the wind.
Huey

Post by Huey »

gwsb wrote:An Anschutz barrel is marked with a 2 digit year designation.
Only from 1958. See http://www.rifleman.org.uk/Anschutz.htm

"Up to approx. 1958 [though likely 1961] only the proof test stamp and the kind of ammunition was imprinted on the barrel.

From approx. 1958 to approx. 1968 [1978] apart from the proof test stamp also the last two digits of the referring year were imprinted on the barrel.

Since approx. 1968 [1978] the year of manufacture is coded. The code for determining the age is as follows:
0=A; 1=B; 2=C; 3=D, 4=E; 5=F; 6=G; 7=H; 8=I/J; 9=K
The year of proof testing is described by the last two digits of a year, i.e. that a firearm with the letters AF was officially proof tested in the year 2005 (05)."

[Updated according to Tim's guidance below]
Last edited by Huey on Sat Nov 21, 2015 11:25 am, edited 6 times in total.
Tim S

Post by Tim S »

Huey wrote:
gwsb wrote:An Anschutz barrel is marked with a 2 digit year designation.
Only from 1958. See http://www.rifleman.org.co.uk/Anschutz
More like 1961, that's the earliest reported. The information in the link is taken from Anschutz's own website and is sadly incorrect. The Ulm Proof housedate started to mark the year of proof with letters rather than numbers in around 1978, not 1968. The latest numbered proof date I've seen is 77, and the earliest lettered date is 1978 HI.

If anyone knows of a 58, 59, or 60, or GI, GK, HA, HB, HC, HD, HE, HF, or HH marked rifle I would be very interested to hear of it.