Jacket Recommendations

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

mtncwru

Jacket Recommendations

Post by mtncwru »

I've been shooting prone smallbore rifle for just over two years. In that time, I've been using an old Hawkeye shooting jacket that was for sale cheap from the club I shoot with. It worked OK for a while, but it's too big in the shoulders/chest area, and too short in the arms, and since I now have a proper target rifle, a new jacket is next on the list.

In researching online, there seem to be quite a few available. Anyone have any strong opinions one way or the other on any of the brands out there? Any recommendations on specific models within those brands? Budget wise I'd like to stay under $1000. I only need the jacket at this point, as I have no plans to shoot 3P or air rifle any time soon. Thanks!
#1texan

Post by #1texan »

I am a Kurt Thune fan I have one of there jackets and love it. But the truth is that all of the top brands are about the same Kurt Thune, Sauer, Gehmann to mention a few. Also if you are just shooting prone a custom fitted jacket is not as important as for three position
KIM

Post by KIM »

Hi,
There are a heap of jackets out there, I just got an Anschutz X dry for around $600, I use it for Prone & Air rifle, a great fit very happy.
gtrisdale

Post by gtrisdale »

Do you shoot international (USA Shooting) or do you shoot NRA?
mtncwru

Post by mtncwru »

gtrisdale wrote:Do you shoot international (USA Shooting) or do you shoot NRA?
I shoot both, though the majority of my matches are under NRA rules. I'm planning on an International-style jacket.
#1texan wrote:Also if you are just shooting prone a custom fitted jacket is not as important as for three position.
I've heard this, but I'm leaning custom fit anyway because I have very long arms. My sleeve length measures to 35", and all the standard jackets that I've tried that are OK in the shoulders/chest are too short in the sleeve.
Thedrifter

Post by Thedrifter »

mtncwru wrote: I've heard this, but I'm leaning custom fit anyway because I have very long arms. My sleeve length measures to 35", and all the standard jackets that I've tried that are OK in the shoulders/chest are too short in the sleeve.
He's not kiddin, kid got loooooong arms. Ive seen it LQTMS.