I want to know
1. How good is it
2. Can I use it in an ISSF event because it has polariser and stuff

Thanks
Regards
Gaurav
justadude

Post by justadude »

No magnification or correction = it IS ISSF legal.

In my opinion it is also overkill, but it is legal.

'Dude
USMC0802

Post by USMC0802 »

Ive been considering getting the 6 color with a polarizer as well. How about some advice on this one. Seems like the 48 color would just be too much to mess with instad of concentrating on shooting. Will I find this to be the case with the 6 color or will it be easy to find which color and polor or not when I'm at a match. Just don't want to get too involved with something that could be a distraction and doesn't provide an easy and quick benefit.
I guess the other option would be to use colored front apeture inserts which would be cheaper if it turns out this is one of the items that you really don't change around much or get a noticible difference out of.
Looking forward to hearing everyone's opinions.
thanks
justadude

Post by justadude »

OK the disclaimer: For outdoors I shoot a Centra 1.8 Twin and Knoblochs for my vision correction. For my air rifle I use a Centra 1.8 Indoor which is similar but gets rid of the grey filters.

On the Centra iris I get 0.8 to 1.8mm iris adjustment which for most smallbore applications is plenty. For the fancier one there are two filter wheels, for the most part one wheel is for colors the other is for grey filters. Each wheel has six positions, five filters and the sixth position is open for no filtering. If I am thinking about this correctly I have 36 possible filter combinations. Of these 36 combinations 98 percent of my shooting I use about 3 of them. (no filter, 1st level grey, 2nd level grey)

Shooting in conditions typical to the mid-Atlantic states conditions will be anything from heavy overcast to bright sunshine. For the sunshine conditions I typically use no colors and will have some level of grey filtration in. When overcast the greys are dialed out and I will work with the colors. So far I have not found reason to use both greys and colors at the same time.

With the selections I have so far I am happy. As the sun moves in and out behind the clouds on the scattered clouds days it is a simple task to take the finger away from the trigger, move it up to the iris and roll a different filter into place. Note, I do not bother looking at the iris but just keep looking through and trying filters until I decide which one I like best for that moment. With only two filter dials it is easy to do this by touch.

Hope this helps,

'Dude
Sparks

Post by Sparks »

48? Yikes. You'd need swatches to tell them apart :D

Should you use one? Well, does it help you? If yes, then yes. If no, then probably not.

Personally though, I'd point out that the bigger the iris, the further forward you have to put your rearsight so as to not poke out your eye with the iris when aiming (and further forward still if you're shooting with glasses). Personally, I went from a 12-colour + double polariser + bells + whistles iris to a 5-colour, no polariser iris and my shooting improved becuase my head position was easier. And now I've gone on to a Centra Tiny iris on a MEC Free rearsight to make the whole setup even smaller, and it's improved again.

I will say though that the one doo-dad that I liked having and now miss is the mirror attachment at the back of the iris. There is apparently one for the Centra Tiny (I've seen it in person), but I can't find one anywhere :(
KennyB

Post by KennyB »

I agree with Sparks and 'Dude.
Less is definitely more.

FWIW, I use a polarizer on bright days as a variable (grey) filter and a screw-in yellow filter for dull days. That keeps the whole rearsight quite short, which I believe is a good thing.

K.
Dave IRL

Post by Dave IRL »

Personally I use a Gehmann 565 iris. I use the grey filters, the yellow and the polariser, and that's about it. Anything longer is going to cause issues, as already highlighted. I use the iris on a Centra 10-50, which is a pretty abrupt rearsight unit anyway, so I don't have issues with lengthy sights, but I still wouldn't go any longer.