Request For Info | Cheep and Simple Electronic Trainer

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

gverma

Request For Info | Cheep and Simple Electronic Trainer

Post by gverma »

Hi
I am looking for a simple electronic trainer for home use. I dont want to use SCATT because it is very expensive and provies a lot of extra data which I dont need.

1. I will do dry fire
2. I wanna see the location of hit as i see in SCATT
3. I dont want detailed analysis like SCATT
4. I will not fire live rounds

Do electronic targets allow dry training?

Any thoughts comments etc...

Thanks
Regards
Gaurav
randy1952

Re: Request For Info | Cheep and Simple Electronic Trainer

Post by randy1952 »

gverma wrote:Hi
I am looking for a simple electronic trainer for home use. I dont want to use SCATT because it is very expensive and provies a lot of extra data which I dont need.

1. I will do dry fire

Any thoughts comments etc...

Thanks
Regards
Gaurav
I don't know what you mean as far as cheap, but if you want something that will electronically display the results at your firing point I believe is not available at a cheap price. I looked for a long time at the available electronic trainers before I finally broke down and got a RIKA. If you want cheap just stick with paper targets. You could get a $500 electric retrieval system, but a spotting scope can do just as well for just practicing. The electronic trainers can allow for both dry and live fire. If your talking electronic targets then it is much cheaper to buy an electronic trainer. An electronic target can cost you at least twice the cost of an electronic trainer. I now because I just got through pricing several electronic targets for a proposed new range.
Last edited by randy1952 on Thu May 19, 2011 5:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sparks

Re: Request For Info | Cheep and Simple Electronic Trainer

Post by Sparks »

gverma wrote:1. I will do dry fire
The problem is that the expensive bit is the bit that lets you do #2 there. #3 effectively comes for free when you build #2. So by leaving out #3, you're not actually going to make the system cheaper. Which is why you don't see any cheap systems that do #2 and not #3.

The savings would be in not having extra sensors or in having less complex software, but I don't know of any system that takes that approach. You seem to have Rika, Scatt or Noptel and that's about it.
They don't prohibit it :D
(They can only tell point of impact when there is an actual impact, so you can dry-fire to your heart's content - they won't know you're doing it).
KIM

Post by KIM »

Hi, we use what we call "the poor man's Scatt" by putting a 32 power scope on your rifle and you can see every little twitch and hart beat, and no cables.
Kim.
azmule

Post by azmule »

Expanding on that a little further, mount a small lightweight videocam with an audio pickup to the eyepiece of that scope (the scope being mounted in such a way that it doesn't block the *real* sights but adjusted to the same POA), and dryfire away to your heart's content. Playing that video back in slo-mo will not only show you exactly where your POA was at every "click" of the action, it will also show if you're doing anything that generates unwanted motion immediately before, during, or after that point, as well as how well you're timing that process to your pulse. Doesn't even need to be an expensive scope or anything fancier than a cheap mini-webcam as long as the scope magnification is high enough, you could probably do it for under $50.