Anschutz second hand rifle choices

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

sandy22

Post by sandy22 »

beats wrote:The matches we shoot are indoor at a distance of 25yds, shooting off carpeted wooden ramps with nice soft cushions to rest your elbows on. The club is part of a closed league in N.Ireland.

I've only joined the club but i know alot of the other members are also members of other clubs that i imagine would then be shooting under the NSRA rules. Unfortunately I'm going to have to get myself known in the circle im in at the minute, before trying to get myself proposed into another NSRA club. (No choice with the security situation over here but to go with the flow.)

The club have mentioned that if i keep my eye out for a rifle that i like they will look into signing it off for me. But as I have no experience outside of service rifles, i'm trying to look into what would be the best all round rifle for me.

A club member let me shoot with his Anschutz 1807 last night and the rifle really seemed to suit me. Reading the above posts though, this would seem to be a fairly light barrel. Would a barrel of this weight/size be too light for putting in good groups when i hopefully move onto longer distances?

With many other sports there is a big drive to bring new people in, through explanitary articles in magazines etc etc. This shooting lark though is very daunting and confusing.

Where abouts in NI are you?

Irrespective of the "security situation", if you have a clean service record why would you have a problem approaching a proper NSRA-type club direct?
beats

Post by beats »

sandy22 wrote:

Where abouts in NI are you?

Irrespective of the "security situation", if you have a clean service record why would you have a problem approaching a proper NSRA-type club direct?
Sandy22,

I'm not too far away from Belfast.
I didn't think any of the NSRA clubs would let you join unless someone was willing to vouch for you personally? I was going to wait to get to know some of the club members better before I start torturing them to take me down.

Any suggestions of good clubs located near by? I'd like to find a club that is keen to bring on and help new shooters.

Tim,
Good advice. Its a bit frustrating having to aim off a touch with other peoples rifles but it may be something I have to put up with. Cant wait to get a rifle that I can zero to my own eyes though.
sandy22

Post by sandy22 »

beats wrote: I didn't think any of the NSRA clubs would let you join unless someone was willing to vouch for you personally?
I'm sure they won't - straight away. You'll need to talk to them first, but I can't see why they wouldn't talk to you. Google Comber Rifle Club or East Antrim Rifle & Pistol Club.

Post by Guest »

I know this is an old post, but just in case you are still looking...

I shot an 1807 for over two decades, including getting into the main England prone team at the Scottish meeting on a couple of occasions, competing against men using the latest heavy prone rifles. (I'm a woman). If you're a relative beginner at target shooting, it will be absolutely fine for you in terms of grouping size it can do. It's also not a good idea to try to start out with a super-heavy rifle - you'll lose out in terms of getting tired anything you might gain from the slight extra inertia due to the larger mass.

It's now been passed down to my daughter. They last a long time - it was second hand when I got it in 1982 :)