NEED HELP WITH A FWB 700 AlU RIFLE

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

NEED HELP WITH A FWB 700 AlU RIFLE

Post by Guest »

Hi :

I have a friend that sell me a FWB 700 AlU RIFLE in a good price...The problem is than I am left handler and the rifle is for right handler...Can I change the rifle from right to left only by replace the hangrip ? If I can do how much is the cost of a left hand grip for this rifle ? I need to make anothers cahnge to the rifle ? Plz help me...thx....
bellyshooter

Post by bellyshooter »

There are more considerations than just the pistol grip. The cheekpiece is going to not only present the sharp side rather than the contoured side, but, if you need to move the cheekpiece in or out laterally, it may not be able to go over enough for you to get in a good head position behind the rear sight.
Jordan F.

Post by Jordan F. »

New grip would probably be several hundred dollars. The cheekpiece is different, as well as the cocking handle.

It may be better just to get a left handed rifle.
laxratnd

hey

Post by laxratnd »

I have a 700 aluminum, without looking at it right now i think all you would have to do is change the hand grip which would be around the 200 range. The cocking lever dosnt seem like it would be to much of a pain to use lefty. Also the cheek piece is rounded the same way on both sides. Depending on how much of a good deal your friend is offering you it might not be a bad deal. But if the price is close to a brand new one, you might as well go buy a new one.

lax.
peepsight

Post by peepsight »

I believe the cocking lever on the 700 can be switched from one side to the other.
pwh

Post by pwh »

Parts for rifles such as the 700 can really be expensive. As said, the cheekpiece is rounded identically on the both sides but you may not get the full movement due to it's placement. You would also have the two adjustment knobs pressing against your chest although it may not prove to be too much of a problem. I suppose the cocking lever could be placed on the other side but I wouldn't want to attempt it. Bottom line......simply add up the cost and the hassle and then decide if it's really worth it or not.

~Phil
azuaro

Post by azuaro »

Dear Guest,

The CHEEKPIECE is as someone mentioned above, is IDENTICAL on both sides...

The TWO ADJUSTING KNOBS do not really interfere with anything (chest or jacket) so if having them on the inside of the stock doesn't bother you, you will be fine....

THE COCKING LEVER is very easily switched to the left side by removing/relocating a couple of pins, a locking collar, etc. and some knowledge of how things work , this will probably take you no more than 25-20 minutes to do so.

THE LEFT GRIP will set you back $250.00

Plug this number in your equation and add the possible inconveniences for the conversion mentioned before and compare it to getting a TRUE LEFT hand 700.

Take into consideration that whenever you try to sell a left hand rifle your market is no more that 8 - 10% of the equivalent right hand market...maybe this Right Hand Conversion is not a bad alternative after all !

Best Regards,

AZUARO
FLATHEAD LAKE, MT
Thomas Monto

M 700

Post by Thomas Monto »

The basic rifle is the same for right & left.

Move the cocking lever over to the other side (easy to do)
Reverse the cheek piece. (easy to do)
If the pistol grip is too expensive. Make your own, again not too difficult.

It really depends on what you are going to pay for the rifle. Also if you sell it, there is a greater market for right handed rifles, which you will have.

A "lefty"
pwh

Re: M 700

Post by pwh »

Thomas Monto wrote:The basic rifle is the same for right & left.

Move the cocking lever over to the other side (easy to do)
Reverse the cheek piece. (easy to do)
If the pistol grip is too expensive. Make your own, again not too difficult.

It really depends on what you are going to pay for the rifle. Also if you sell it, there is a greater market for right handed rifles, which you will have.

A "lefty"
As for placing the cocking lever on the other side it looks like it can be done but I certainly would not call it easy unless you know what you are doing and have had some experience with working on guns and the tools to accomplish the job.

As has been said, there is no need whatsoever to reverse the cheek piece as it is symmetrical on both sides so that is a no given. However, there still will be some limitation as to the lateral adjustment albeit it may not come into play.

I certainly would not call making a new pistol grip easy to do unless one is accustomed to working with wood and again, has the proper tools and knowledge of doing so.

All said and done, it can be accomplished if one has the experience, patience and knowledge of working on guns and working with wood.

Can it be done?......yes, by all means but, it's not so easily accomplished as you put it. JMHO

~Phil
RobStubbs

Re: NEED HELP WITH A FWB 700 AlU RIFLE

Post by RobStubbs »

Anonymous wrote:Hi :

I have a friend that sell me a FWB 700 AlU RIFLE in a good price...The problem is than I am left handler and the rifle is for right handler...Can I change the rifle from right to left only by replace the hangrip ? If I can do how much is the cost of a left hand grip for this rifle ? I need to make anothers cahnge to the rifle ? Plz help me...thx....
Buy the gun off him if it's a really good price and then part ex it for a new left hander.

Rob.
nocturnaldd

Post by nocturnaldd »

Hi.... I just bought a fwb 700 with left hand grip and need a right hand grip replacement .... any up for a swap
nocturnaldd

Post by nocturnaldd »

Guys... i finally made a right hand grip myself ... at almost half the price ... let me know if anyone needs help