Walther LGR information/questions...

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

jlochey

Walther LGR information/questions...

Post by jlochey »

Does anyone have one of these rifles?

I don't know much about it, but how is its accuracy, etc.?

I have a chance to buy one for $350, and wondered what it would be worth...?

The one I'm looking at has been spray painted black, any comments on that?

Thanks,

John
peepsight

Walther LGR

Post by peepsight »

Hi

I had an LGR Universal (adjustable cheek piece) during the 80's.
The Walther LGR dominated air rifle shooting world wide untill FWB launched their famous 600 series pre compressed air rifles.

The LGR was a side lever pre compressed air rifle but it was fairly hard to cock as the lever hinge was at the rear of the rifle (along side the back sight). The loading was by a flip up 'hatch' and accuracy was very good.

The seals on the flip up and compression system did need replacing occasionally as they wore out quite quickly if the rifle was put to a lot of use.

The trigger was superb as was the shape of the pistol grip. The LGR was a classic air rifle made to a very high standard and it held many records during its long reign at the top.

Check to see if spares are still available before you buy and check that it still hold a tight group.

Peepsight
jlochey

Post by jlochey »

peepsight,

Thank you very much! Your information is very helpful!

John
peepsight

Walther LGR

Post by peepsight »

Hi J

A few more things i remember about the LGR, Unless it was a junior budget model, the stock was always walnut. The pistol grip and fore end were stippled. The budget was Beech and not stippled.

It needs the black paint removing so you can see how good the walnut is.

Here in the UK they are collectable and one in showroom condition can cost £500 +, i guess thats about $400.

If it was me, i would asses the rifle, then set about giving it a full restoration. My best score with an LGR was 581 back in 83 using good old RWS match pellets. If i can think of any more info i will post here.

Peepaight
Fabian

LGR

Post by Fabian »

LGR's can be repaired by our host pilkguns, he has spare parts and will work on them. As to the price, check on the overall working condition, if it works properly that's a good price. As to the guy who posted the info in British Pounds, his currency conversion is way off, as 500 pounds equals 982 dollars pursuant to today's rate.
Lee Sellers

Post by Lee Sellers »

1 US Dollar : 0.5093 British Pound
peepsight

Walther LGR

Post by peepsight »

Sorry folks

I got totally confused with the Pound/Dollar exchange rate.
Thanks for correcting my mistake.

Peepsight
Rutty

Walther LGR

Post by Rutty »

I second all of Peepsight's comments. We have an LGR as a club rifle. Very well made, very reliable. The cocking action is more difficult than the single stroke FWBs, but it's alright once you get the knack.

Rutty
maestro

Post by maestro »

Hi, I have an LGR and it works very well. It was about 360$. I shoot Field Target with it, and I can proud say that it's possible to win with it in its cathegory, where there are Walther LG-300-s and FWB-60x-s too. (Here in Hungary the sub 7,5J rifles shoot separated from the stronger ones, but up to 50 meters too.).

It is precise, it shoots layed on a sandbag "hole in the hole" at 35 meters. The trigger can be adjusted but not all parameters, only first stage travel, sear engagement and a common screw for the first and second stage power.

If you want to se it with a scope, you should not forgot the loading gate, so the longest scope is 34 centimeters (e.g. Simmons 6,5-20x44).
Joe66

Walther LGR is hard to cock

Post by Joe66 »

The Walther LGR is hard to cock. Just this feature alone is a turned-off. It is not fun to shoot or plink with a gun that is hard to cock. The Pnuematic air rifles that are easy to cock are Anschitz Superair 2001, Diana 100, FWB 600, and FwB601.

Why don't you buy one of these instead?
Jim E

LGR is user friendly!

Post by Jim E »

The LGR is not "hard" to cock once you become accustom to its design. No more difficult then the other SSP's. A terrfic air rifle that revolutionized the sport.
dlb

Post by dlb »

There is a technique to cocking the LGR. The cocking arm pivots at two points in order to allow an 180 degree stroke arc. When you return the stroke from its extended position, you need to apply force both in the forward direction and inwards. This will collapse the hub of the cocking arm and align the rod which connects the arm to the piston such that the force applied to the arm is transmitted efficiently to the piston stroke.

If you simply push the cocking arm forward, it tends to 'lock-up' with the hub not fully collapsed and the piston rod oriented at an awkward angle.
Joe66

I don't sell Airguns

Post by Joe66 »

To: Jim E.

I don't sell airguns to make money, but I know you do. I just tell it like it is. Any reader is welcome to find out for themselve if an LGR is as easy to cock as a FWB 600, 601, Diana 100, or a Anschutz SuperAir.

I know you have an LGR 4-sale.
dlb

Post by dlb »

Well I own a LGR and have never found it to be hard to cock.
Richard H

Post by Richard H »

I've shot an LGR an didn't find it hard to cock. Maybe you need to eat your wheaties or spinach.
WRC

Post by WRC »

I shot my much beloved LGR for 12 years in competition, including the USA Team tryouts way back when they were in Chino Calif. - I never found the LGR any harder to cock than the "newer" single stroke pneumatics. As a matter of fact, I couldn't figure out all the fuss about how it was supposed to be so much easier to pump the new ones with the handle swinging in the other direction - never made a difference to me. It's all about the leverage you use.
Joe66

I confess

Post by Joe66 »

Gentlemen,

I confess, I am not as strong as you. To me, even a 1 pound difference in cocking force is enough for me to notice the difference.

This I never understand, with shooters as strong as you, why did the Pnuematic AR loosing popularity? I mean if cocking is not a problem, then a Pnuematic has a advantage over PCP or Co2, and that is you don't have to worry about power source and air travel with an air tank.
Richard H

Re: I confess

Post by Richard H »

Joe66 wrote:Gentlemen,

I confess, I am not as strong as you. To me, even a 1 pound difference in cocking force is enough for me to notice the difference.

This I never understand, with shooters as strong as you, why did the Pnuematic AR loosing popularity? I mean if cocking is not a problem, then a Pnuematic has a advantage over PCP or Co2, and that is you don't have to worry about power source and air travel with an air tank.
Some reasons why

1. Its new and if its new it must better

2. It allows you an un interupted flow in your shot process.

3. You don't have to break position to cock it.

4. It mimicks your process for a small bore rifle better

5. Some people are just girly men (read that with an Arnold accent).

If one pound of force makes that big a differrence to you, might I suggest you hit the gym a little more and work on some upper body strength.
Joe66

To Richard H.

Post by Joe66 »

My reply to your 5 items above.

Reply to #1: Now that PCP been out for awhile, we shall see in the next Olympics how many shooters use Pneumatic. I bet my month’s wage that PCP far outnumbers Pneumatic.

Reply #2: What are you talking about? Cocking the AR interrupts flow in ones shot process!!!? I thought the act of cocking is part of ones shot process?

Reply #3: Break out of WHAT position? I thought International 10-meter AR is shot standing? Are you shooting prone or what. Please read the rule book.

Reply #4: Why is smallbore rifle shooting being discuss here? I thought we are just talking about 10-m AR? And in high level competition, a shooter selects the equipment to gain the most advantage as he/she can without worry about transition to other discipline.

Reply #5: Agreed about the girly men. But people like you lack finesse which is require in Olympic type of shooting.

Your turn to rebuttal, Mr. Sensitive.
harvbart

LGR piston seals

Post by harvbart »

Help
my Walther LGR needs a new piston seal,
does anyone know where to find a new one?
I've been told they are no longer availble and a different seal will have to be adapted.
Help
Harbart