High NPA in standing

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

Jenni

High NPA in standing

Post by Jenni »

Hi guys,

I've been struggling with a high NPA in standing for a while , the butt plate is set to the lowest point , I no longer use riser blocks & I feel that my position is really stable when I first hold my rifle.. but in order to lower the rifle I have to breathe in and out many times to reach the target , and by the time I reach it my stability is not always at its best ..

should my NPA always be on target or above target ?
mine is usually around 5 to 7 inches above target.

What adjustments can I make in order to lower the rifle even more?
I am considered a short shooter .

Thanks in advance ,

Jenni
lyoke

Re: High NPA in standing

Post by lyoke »

Hello,

I experience the exact same thing. I have mine that high because when I settle down the the target my rifle is really sunk in and firm.

The main thing I do to bring the sights down to the target without a lot of change in position.
Slide your offhand out slightly thus bringing down the rifle. I am right handed and I slide out my left hand on the rifle enough to bring down the sights as well as maintain balance. It took a little bit of time to adjust the position but now I don't notice the difference.

How far you are pushing your front hip forward may be another factor.
Jimro

Post by Jimro »

Changing your NPA means changing your stance, I know that sounds dumb but it's the truth.

For a shift of 7 inches, I'd start with the feet. Bringing you feet slightly closer together may help. If that gets you closer, then I'd try adjustments with the support hand.

Jimro
redschietti

Post by redschietti »

Sight risers have nothing to do with it

How deep is your forend? If you can make it shallower it will help
jhmartin

Post by jhmartin »

Jenni ... with respect to what you are able to do with the gun, are you talking air or SB or both?
10m? 50ft? 50m?
Andre

Post by Andre »

A pic of your position would be helpful.
patriot

Post by patriot »

Are you supporting the rifle with your palm, knuckles, or fingers? I try to center my NPA, otherwise the shots tend to move back to the NPA as I relax and break the trigger. I second the picture idea.

Mark

Shooting without a coat with a light rifle makes the need for a centered NPA more obvious. Keeping my hind knee straight, less hip bend, helped quite a bit.

http://www.assra.com/yabbfiles/Attachme ... allest.jpg