Rocky Mountain Rifle Championship Feb. 2015

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

NMC_EXP

Rocky Mountain Rifle Championship Feb. 2015

Post by NMC_EXP »

Just moved to Colorado. Am located in Canon City which is near Colorado Springs, the site of the Olympic Training Center. In Feb 2015 the Rocky Mountain Rifle Championship will be held at the OTC and I have some questions:

--This is under ISSF rules, correct?

--How can I access an ISSF rulebook? The NRA does not appear to have it.

--What is the format of the tournament? I have requested a program but would like some comments from folks who have competed in this tournament.

I've been shooting NRA conventional outdoor prone for a few years. So far I have not been able to find much of that type of shooting in this area. If any of you can direct me to clubs with small bore prone programs in southern Colorado, I'd appreciate it.

With my proximity to the OTC I probably need to familiarize myself with ISSF prone.

Jim
Tim S

Re: Rocky Mountain Rifle Championship Feb. 2015

Post by Tim S »

Rules can be found here, as a free PDF: http://www.issf-sports.org/theissf/rules.ashx
NMC_EXP

Post by NMC_EXP »

Thanks Tim.
justadude

Post by justadude »

NMC

The rules for Rocky Mountain or more or less ISSF rules but specifically the USAS Rules.

http://www.usashooting.org/7-events/usasrules

From this page you are most interested in the General Technical Rules and the Rifle Rules. There are a few minor differences between USAS and ISSF rules. The NRA International Rifle Rules book kinda tries to follow this as well but not having shot an NRA match in some time I am not sure the differences any more.

Biggest difference, you will be shooting 60 shots in one string, no break after 20. You have unlimited sighters prior to the beginning of record fire then once they have started match firing there are no more sighters.

In the hierarchy of things the ISSF sets the rules for things like World Cup and the Olympics. Then national organizations such as USAS adopts the ISSF rules, often with a few considerations for local conditions. (ISSF is based in Munich Germany). The NRA is clearly involved with sponsoring competition in the US but has no ties nor obligations to an international sports governing body.

'Dude
NMC_EXP

Post by NMC_EXP »

Thanks Dude.

Took a look at the rules which are significantly different from the NRA.

This may not be for me. I can't shoot prone from a concrete firing point without wearing elbow pads.

Jim
Marc Orvin

Post by Marc Orvin »

You get a mat. But, you are right, no elbow pads.
COBelties

Post by COBelties »

I would encourage you to compete in one of the monthly matches (PTO) just to get a feel for the range, format etc. we typically shoot air rifle in the morning and smallbore in the afternoon. Also if your interested in observing, the U.S. Smallbore selection match is the first week in January, I think Mens prone is the 4th and 5th. I'm always grateful to have such a shooting complex here in Colorado.
NMC_EXP

Post by NMC_EXP »

COBelties wrote:I would encourage you to compete in one of the monthly matches (PTO) just to get a feel for the range, format etc. we typically shoot air rifle in the morning and smallbore in the afternoon. Also if your interested in observing, the U.S. Smallbore selection match is the first week in January, I think Mens prone is the 4th and 5th. I'm always grateful to have such a shooting complex here in Colorado.
I am interested in the monthly matches you mentioned. Please provide more detail as to the organization, when, where, etc.

Jim
justadude

Post by justadude »

NMC,

These are monthly matches held at the shooting complex at the Olympic Training Center. Sanctioned by USA Shooting.

Contact Jim Shaver shajecolo@yahoo.com phone 719 597 7909. There is a Monthly PTO (Preliminary Tryout) on January 17th.

Also if you want to shoot, plan on joining USAS, http://www.usashooting.org/membership/4 ... membership

While you are on the website, click on the events tab and "find a match" there is an interactive there that can help you find things in your area.

Note, everything here is held under the USA Shooting rules discussed earlier.

'Dude
NMC_EXP

Post by NMC_EXP »

Dude

Thanks for the info.

What target is used for 50m prone at these events? I realize they are probably electronic but I'm interested in the diameter of the black.

Jim
justadude

Post by justadude »

NMC_

The 50m target is covered under General Technical Rule 6.3.4.2. The aiming black is 112.4mm in diameter.

The NRA uses the same bull on their A-50 target.

Assuming you have a standard length barrel a 3.2mm front aperture is a good place to start for prone. Also with the sights, no lenses or magnification (Eagle Eyes and Diopters) If you need vision correction you have to wear glasses.

Dude