Bringing cold rifle inside

For those who like shooting in the snow

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, Craig1956

egghead

Bringing cold rifle inside

Post by egghead »

Noob here - long time skiier and beginner shooter. Sorry if this has been answered, I searched and came up empty.

Just bought an ESA 2nd gen rifle, very happy with it so far. Paid extra for stainless barrel, but wondering specifically if anything needs to be done to prevent rust or damage upon bringing the rifle indoors after a race or training session. It frosted up pretty fierce last weekend when brought inside.

Thanks.
turbomike15

Frosty Barrels

Post by turbomike15 »

Hey egghead,
Here's what I do when I bring my riffle in after a cold shooting session:
-Take out of my rifle bag (prevent condensation building up on action/barrel)
-Open front snow sight (let any internal condensation evap)
-Depending on when I'll be shooting next, clean the barrel when things have come up to room temp (no logic on this, I just get tired of holding a cold gun)

I've found with my Izh that cleaning the barrel after about 100 rds is the money frequency. I've read some people clean after every shooting session, benchrest shooters have weird rituals that I don't understand. If you aren't going to shoot for a while (months) run a patch with gun oil on after you clean to prevent the bore from rusting. I also like to keep my gun in a case with desiccant in it over the summer months when I'm not shooting as much to prevent possible rusting.

As I have a good idea where you shoot in WI, we can talk more if you come out the range this week. :)

MR
egghead

Post by egghead »

Hey Mike! Yeah I'll be out tonight, ski from 5 to 6 hopefully, then shoot. Can't make it tomorrow, I know you're going out tomorrow too.

I'll ask you specifically what you mean by cleaning the barrel, etc, -- want to protect the investment. Also interested in the answer to your questions about summer practice on this forum.

Thanks!