Hammerli 208

Brought to you by Zero Bullet Company Inc.

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, Isabel1130

Bullseye997

Hammerli 208

Post by Bullseye997 »

I just purchased a scope mount from Larry’s Guns for my Hammerli 208 which attaches to the barrel weight rail under the barrel and the barrel weight attaches to it. In order to stabilize the mount, it must be tightened very tightly. Is there a recommended torque to secure the scope mount to the rail?
There is no perceptible tightening until it is tightened very hard. Same goes for the barrel weight attached directly to the barrel.
Thank you in advance for your responses.
-TT-

Re: Hammerli 208

Post by -TT- »

Sounds like the screw is too long. Is it the original one, and/or do you see any evidence of contact at the bottom of the hole? Try taking a hair off with a grinder, if so.
Gregbenner

Post by Gregbenner »

On mine there are two larger set screws (4mm hex) which tighten the mount to the barrel. Then, if I prefer, I can add additional factory weights to the mount, using a single 4mm set screw. Mine tighten smoothly, not sure how to describe it, but seems fine.
joel

Post by joel »

The 2 black screws between the silver ones do require a bit of torque. Use the included allen key and tighten the screws alternately until the mount is snug. When I remove the mount for cleaning and reattach it, it stays very close on target.

Joel
willnewton

Post by willnewton »

I don't have a specific torque number, but in my experience, tighten it snugly, but not monster tight. Then go shoot 50 rounds at practice. If the mount starts to shift, tighten it another 1/8 turn or so. Repeat as needed until tight.

Might take you a couple of tries to get it nailed down as it settles in, but it will settle in and is a very good mount.

I have that mount and there is a point at which it is tight, then a bit past that is where the "locked" in point is. I let mine overhang the front a hair to help prevent damage to the barrel crown.

Also make sure to adjust the correct screws! You could always call Larry and maybe get an actual torque number, but you will find the happy place without much trouble.
Bullseye997

Post by Bullseye997 »

Thank you to all for helpful advice!