New guy with question

Brought to you by Zero Bullet Company Inc.

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, Isabel1130

old sparky

New guy with question

Post by old sparky »

Hello, I'm 56 and just picked up a FAS 6004 to shoot in the house. It seems I can't fit in getting out to shoot firearms these days. I am shooting 10 meter pistol targets and having fun. I sure wish I could see my front sight but those days are gone. I have prescription glasses made for seeing the front sight but then I can't see the black bull. I end up using progressive lenses mostly. I have been thinking about a red dot. Has anyone tapped the top of a FAS 6004 for a rail and want to share their experience.

Thanks for any help
David Levene

Re: New guy with question

Post by David Levene »

Why do you want to see a black bull.

Fuzzy, grey and roundish is good enough.
Zipp0

Post by Zipp0 »

Have you tried an iris? It will stop down and give you a chance to see sights and target with the fore sight in focus (if it works for you)

check this out: http://www.gehmann.com/english/products ... tegorie=35
jaxontarget

Post by jaxontarget »

If you want to try an iris but don't want to spend the $, pick up the appropriate version of EyePal. It works great for me, I can clearly focus on the front sightvwith a target at 10M clearly in focus. It is the same effect as an Iris, but with a fixed aperture size (they make one for pistol and one for rifle, or you can get the variety pack (they come in pairs). http://www.eyepalusa.com/
old sparky

Post by old sparky »

Thanks for the suggestions. I have always wanted to try a iris and the cheap one may be a neat test.
Thanks
Spencer

Post by Spencer »

old sparky wrote:Hello, I'm 56 and just picked up a FAS 6004 to shoot in the house. It seems I can't fit in getting out to shoot firearms these days. I am shooting 10 meter pistol targets and having fun. I sure wish I could see my front sight but those days are gone. I have prescription glasses made for seeing the front sight but then I can't see the black bull. I end up using progressive lenses mostly. I have been thinking about a red dot. Has anyone tapped the top of a FAS 6004 for a rail and want to share their experience.

Thanks for any help
Are you 'area aiming' into the area below the black aiming mark, or at the centre of the black?
old sparky

Post by old sparky »

i have some ten meter pistol targets but i printed out a target with 3- 3/8" black dots. that is what i have been shooting at. But i am using a six o clock hold on them.
Joe58

Post by Joe58 »

jaxontarget wrote:If you want to try an iris but don't want to spend the $, pick up the appropriate version of EyePal. It works great for me, I can clearly focus on the front sightvwith a target at 10M clearly in focus. It is the same effect as an Iris, but with a fixed aperture size (they make one for pistol and one for rifle, or you can get the variety pack (they come in pairs). http://www.eyepalusa.com/
Just an FYI on these, I use one and it helps a lot in letting me get the front sight into focus.

I shoot an air pistol for 10m, so I bought the pistol eyepal pack. It helped but wasn't quite enough.

For some reason, not sure why, I assumed the pistol version, would have a smaller aperture than the rifle. Having used a Merit disc, I knew that an aperture would help.

So I emailed the maker, and he let me know the sizes of the apertures:

""The Rifle is 0.047" and the Handgun is 0.067".""

Anyway, I then ordered the rifle, and for me, on my air pistols, as well as my .22's, it's great.

He also told me that should you lose one, he'd replace it for free. Which I thought was very genererous of him.

He even mentioned he would make a special order one, but would want to visit with you first about your Rx.

Seemed quite willing to help.

:)
jaxontarget

Post by jaxontarget »

Joe58 wrote:
jaxontarget wrote:If you want to try an iris but don't want to spend the $, pick up the appropriate version of EyePal. It works great for me, I can clearly focus on the front sightvwith a target at 10M clearly in focus. It is the same effect as an Iris, but with a fixed aperture size (they make one for pistol and one for rifle, or you can get the variety pack (they come in pairs). http://www.eyepalusa.com/
Just an FYI on these, I use one and it helps a lot in letting me get the front sight into focus.

I shoot an air pistol for 10m, so I bought the pistol eyepal pack. It helped but wasn't quite enough.

For some reason, not sure why, I assumed the pistol version, would have a smaller aperture than the rifle. Having used a Merit disc, I knew that an aperture would help.

So I emailed the maker, and he let me know the sizes of the apertures:

""The Rifle is 0.047" and the Handgun is 0.067".""

Anyway, I then ordered the rifle, and for me, on my air pistols, as well as my .22's, it's great.

He also told me that should you lose one, he'd replace it for free. Which I thought was very genererous of him.

He even mentioned he would make a special order one, but would want to visit with you first about your Rx.

Seemed quite willing to help.

:)
Good to know! I should have got the variety pak. Actually, the pistol one does work fine for me, but I'm guessing it will vary from person to person (vision correction...length of arm...etc.). If you get the mixed pack you can try both (one of each - same price as a pair of either one).
Joe58

Post by Joe58 »

What I did was I compared the hole size on the eyepal to the Merit disc using my wife's sewing needle to figure out I needed a smaller aperture.

The Merit does work ok, but the suction cup likes to pop off my glasses, leaves spa big smear, etc., etc.

The eyepal is much easier.

For me anyway. YMMV naturally as you mentioned due to your vision, arm length, side of mouth you hold your tongue, all that stuff. Lol. :)

But I agree, try the combo pack first to see which works best for you.
Spencer

Post by Spencer »

old sparky wrote:i have some ten meter pistol targets but i printed out a target with 3- 3/8" black dots. that is what i have been shooting at. But i am using a six o clock hold on them.
Wind up the rear sight a bit more and aim into the white below the black aiming mark (ABOUT 1/2 way down between the bottom of the black and the bottom of the target).
If you have a good focus on (and at!) the front sight, the blurry aiming mark is not a problem.
Try it - it works!
old sparky

Post by old sparky »

Spencer wrote:
old sparky wrote:i have some ten meter pistol targets but i printed out a target with 3- 3/8" black dots. that is what i have been shooting at. But i am using a six o clock hold on them.
Wind up the rear sight a bit more and aim into the white below the black aiming mark (ABOUT 1/2 way down between the bottom of the black and the bottom of the target).
If you have a good focus on (and at!) the front sight, the blurry aiming mark is not a problem.
Try it - it works!

Thanks, I had a pair of glasses made where I can see my front sight but since the target was a blur didn't give them a chance. I normally would shoot my pistols at a small dot at the indoor range or a steel plate outdoors. all my pistols are sight in point of aim. Sitting around I decided to give a six o-clock hold a shot. Dialed up my sight and I am making better groups. And my head isn't cocked trying to look thru bifocals. I cant see my shots land but maybe thats ok since I have to shoot each shot.
motorcycle_dan

Post by motorcycle_dan »

Spencer wrote:
Try it - it works!
Very much agree; with 10m air pistol you should be shooting sub six. With a 6:00 hold you want to look downrange and make sure the sight is touching the bull. Better just to have an general idea somewhere between the black and bottom of the target. Perfect sight alignment within your aiming area. That will tune you up quite a bit. Iris not needed, just look for the perfect sight alignment below the blurry ball.
Rover

Post by Rover »