Hammerli 208 / 218 large barrel weight

Brought to you by Zero Bullet Company Inc.

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, Isabel1130

jaxontarget

Hammerli 208 / 218 large barrel weight

Post by jaxontarget »

Can anyone tell me if the barrel weight attached to the 208 in this photo is a stock item, or aftermarket? http://s189.photobucket.com/user/Andyd1 ... f.jpg.html
GOVTMODEL

Re: Hammerli 208 / 218 large barrel weight

Post by GOVTMODEL »

Looks like one I used to have. It's stock.
jaxontarget

Post by jaxontarget »

GOVTMODEL wrote:Looks like one I used to have. It's stock.
Any idea what it's called, and or where to find one? I can imagine they're not easy to find, but it would be easier to search one out if I knew what it was called (or what its weight is - looks at least double the standard 80gr).
GOVTMODEL

Post by GOVTMODEL »

The Hammerli 208/208s went out of production years before the assets were sold to Walther. Best bet is to check with Larry's Guns in Maine or rocosystems in Texas. Barrel weights came in a variety of sizes, up to 220 grams.
jaxontarget

Post by jaxontarget »

GOVTMODEL wrote:The Hammerli 208/208s went out of production years before the assets were sold to Walther. Best bet is to check with Larry's Guns in Maine or rocosystems in Texas. Barrel weights came in a variety of sizes, up to 220 grams.
Thank you. I have checked Larrys, but not Rocosystems. I will do that.
Black_Talon

Post by Black_Talon »

The barrel weight in your picture is a factory 300 gram version.

To the best of my knowledge, there are factory 80g, 200g, 270g, 285g and 300g barrel weights. I have two different versions of the 200g weight, one that looks more like the 300g one in your pic, and one that wraps around both sides of the muzzle and doesn't extend back any further than the 80g weight.

As with lots of 208 parts, none of these is easily available, nor cheap. Larry sells a repro 80g weight that could be used to add weight to, if you don't care to have factory-looking weight on your gun.
jaxontarget

Post by jaxontarget »

Black_Talon wrote:The barrel weight in your picture is a factory 300 gram version.

To the best of my knowledge, there are factory 80g, 200g, 270g, 285g and 300g barrel weights. I have two different versions of the 200g weight, one that looks more like the 300g one in your pic, and one that wraps around both sides of the muzzle and doesn't extend back any further than the 80g weight.

As with lots of 208 parts, none of these is easily available, nor cheap. Larry sells a repro 80g weight that could be used to add weight to, if you don't care to have factory-looking weight on your gun.

Many thanks for taking the time and sharing the info. I have the 80G stock weight, and the pistol feels uber light to me. I was looking to add more, and that particular one seems to distribute the extra weight more evenly(?).
Andyd

Post by Andyd »

That is one of my photos of my Hämmerli. The weight on the gun is an original Haemmerli weight but has been reparkerized. The grips on it are 212 grips. The other weights have been altered and added to stock weights and also reparkerized.

I removed the bad PB link and now used Google.
Last edited by Andyd on Mon Jul 17, 2017 1:09 am, edited 2 times in total.
jaxontarget

Post by jaxontarget »

Andyd wrote:That is one of my photos of my Haemerli. The weight on the gun is an original Haemmerli weight but has been reparkerized. The grips on it are 212 grips. The other weights have been altered and added to stock weights and also reparkerized.

Thanks Andy. Nice photo. Which weight is attached there? I managed to purchase a 200g thanks to a thoughtful member here who reached out to me. My Hammerli is at Larry's for some work, but when I get it back I'll give it a try with a heavier weight. With the 80gr that I have the pistol just doesn't seem to handle well for my preferences. My thought is that its a combination of the trigger and the weight/balance of the pistol. The trigger pulls in the high twos, but just isn't as smooth as my GSP or 41, both of which are releasing in the low twos. I don't know if its the weight, but with the Hammerli the pull consistently feels to me as if you hit a wall where it takes a very conscious, deliberate effort to pass through. With the other pistols the release, though certainly deliberate, comes more as a surprise (no wall).
Andyd

Post by Andyd »

Well, in the old German / Swiss manual it is mentioned that the 208 is especially suited for female competitors, because of the light weight. The gun weighs 915 g and the standard weight is 80 g. My weights are 80, 190, 300 and 370 g. The 300 g weight is attached in above photo, making the gun heavy at 1215 g.

I have a Haemmerli 208 and a 212 and while my 208 has a great trigger, the 212 has a fantastic trigger. The trigger on the 208 can be adjusted for weight and has an adjustable trigger stop, on some guns the trigger weight can be changed from 1000 to 1360 g by turning the spring above the trigger.

Have you tried adjusting the trigger? The trigger on my 208 is a bit nicer as on the last GSPs and FN Internationals that I shot. I used to shoot competitively some 30 years ago and got better results with a Walther GSP that had extensive Gehmann tuning, than with the Haemmerli but nowadays I shoot for fun and am struggling to keep a 90% score but usually shoot Korth revolvers.

jaxontarget

Post by jaxontarget »

Mine is an older 208. I think mid 70's. I did try fiddling with the screw on the side that is supposed to adjust the pull, and was able to shave very little off (via Lehman digital scale), but the feel remained the same (conscious tactile effort vs conscious surprise - sorry, but that's the best I can do at describing it). Thanks for taking the time to share your experience and for the pics and details. I'll let you know what Larry has to say. The GSP trigger I'm using is the newer two-stage, while the 41 is also an older 70's A series with stock trigger that is outstanding.
Andyd

Post by Andyd »

For switching from 1360g - that is when both red dots are aligned - to 1000 g the screw has to be turned against the clock by 180° after taking the slide off. To get it back to 1360 g the screw has to be continued another 180° against the clock.

To adjust the trigger weight the screw in the front of the trigger blade can be turned: against the clock to make the trigger lighter and clockwise to make the trigger pull heavier. I also keep the trigger bar lubricated, using whatever is at hand but prefer some white lithium grease for fishing reels.

I have never shot, or handled, a S&W 41 that had a trigger comparable to my 208 so I am sure that Larry will be finding something, most likely a simple adjustment problem and you will then have a "regular" Hämmerli 208 that will rapidly become your favorite.
Gregbenner

Post by Gregbenner »

I can't see the pic, says I need to upgrade.

I have 3 weights, the smallest is on the gun, the others are 6.5 and 9.1 ounces on my electronic scale

I wasn't very happy with Larry's, I found another smith, who is also a High master shooter, and he adjusted my 208 perfectly, a hair over 2 pounds. Mine is an earlier single stage (non S), not as nice as a 2 stage (for me) , but as nice as any single stage.
joel

Post by joel »

There is a member on this forum, j, that is quite expert on the 208/215 and others. He sells them and also has accessories. You might try to send him a PM and see if he will sell any of his barrel weights. He often saves them for sale to the people who buy pistols from him so that they'll have an opportunity to equip it how they wish. I have bought pistols from him in the past.

Joel
waxman

Post by waxman »

Joel- Who is this Hammerli dealer, if I may ask?
John
Gregbenner

Post by Gregbenner »

waxman wrote:Joel- Who is this Hammerli dealer, if I may ask?
John

Search for J
waxman

Post by waxman »

There are 1260 members whose name starts with J.
Search for J doesn't help since it is not a name.
Wile E Coyote

Post by Wile E Coyote »

waxman wrote:There are 1260 members whose name starts with J.
The username is "J" if you search for a user and put J in the search box his is the only user returned.

His direct email is: Nikita@alum.MIT.edu
Gregbenner

Post by Gregbenner »

Wile E Coyote wrote:
waxman wrote:There are 1260 members whose name starts with J.
The username is "J" if you search for a user and put J in the search box his is the only user returned.

His direct email is: Nikita@alum.MIT.edu

Thx Wile...I thought I was clear.

His name is Julian Freeman, and he is indeed quite knowledgable and helpful.
waxman

Post by waxman »

Thanks guys!