Red dot

Brought to you by Zero Bullet Company Inc.

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, Isabel1130

jerber

Re: Red dot

Post by jerber »

Rover wrote:Get a hatchet!
I don't think it will fit in the case either
oldcaster

Post by oldcaster »

It is pretty hard to give an accurate opinion about this because it will surely vary between pistols and maybe between the times you do it. Go to the range, benchrest shoot at 50 yards, take it off and put it back on several times and you will not only be sure but also have confidence that if you are not calling your shots correctly that it is or is not the gun.
big mouse

Post by big mouse »

"I have never shot indoors. How do you learn what to do when it rains or how to handle wind?"

Dipnet,

When shooting indoors, rain and wind are not issues that one needs to contend with! "Been there, done that".
Seriously, for me, it's either shoot in an indoor Bullseye league or not at all. Unfortunately, all of us do not live
in sunny Florida. Am going to assume that, due to it's climate, your southern locale offers far greater opportunities
to shoot outdoors than most other places do. If I am correct on this, then consider yourself to be very lucky. Also
note that jerber specifically asked for advice on which red dot sight would be needed for indoor shooting. Perhaps
his situation is similar to mine?
Rover

Post by Rover »

The worst weather I have EVER shot in was at the Midwinter Nationals in "sunny" Tampa, Florida. It rained so hard I had to keep blowing the water out of my sight notch and I had the puckers from standing there with a lightning rod in my hand.

As far as what Red Dot to use....I use the same one indoors and out. I just turn up the dot brightness outside.
-TT-

Post by -TT- »

jerber wrote: I do have a question for those of you that have the same set up
Is it safe to remove the adapter with red dot so that I can put my mp90 back in its case?
The whole set up won't fit in the case
Will I loose major adjustments?
Jerry - the really great thing about Larry's mount is that it goes on and off the gun perfectly with no change in zero. If you want to use that lovely Italian slim case the MP90 comes with, it's a great solution. It's also great for being able to open up the top of the action to pop the slide out for a quick cleaning during matches, etc.
jerber

Post by jerber »

BTW Clarence, that "tail" you see coming off your dot means (gasp!) astigmatism. Try a new scrip for your glasses.
I do see that trail!
I'm now using a diopter on my glasses and all I see.is crisp red " dot"!!
Rover

Post by Rover »

While many think the diaphragm is to control depth of field, Don Nygord (who sold me my glasses) told me it actually should be used to give uniform vision under all conditions. That is what you are seeing; the "cleaning up" of your pupil.
jerber

Post by jerber »

-TT- wrote:
jerber wrote: I do have a question for those of you that have the same set up
Is it safe to remove the adapter with red dot so that I can put my mp90 back in its case?
The whole set up won't fit in the case
Will I loose major adjustments?
Jerry - the really great thing about Larry's mount is that it goes on and off the gun perfectly with no change in zero. If you want to use that lovely Italian slim case the MP90 comes with, it's a great solution. It's also great for being able to open up the top of the action to pop the slide out for a quick cleaning during matches, etc.
Thanks for the input
I also have to make sure that the adapter is tight and secure
I was training a couple weeks ago and my shots were everywhere!
I checked the red dot and adapter and the screw was not tighten!
I have not had any problems since
Jerry
jerber

Post by jerber »

Rover wrote:While many think the diaphragm is to control depth of field, Don Nygord (who sold me my glasses) told me it actually should be used to give uniform vision under all conditions. That is what you are seeing; the "cleaning up" of your pupil.
Yep
It looks like I'm going to use this device for AP too
My scores and groups has improved
I just started to use the diopter with red dot and shot my best so far in slow firing...98!
Timed and rapid has been 97-100
jaxontarget

Post by jaxontarget »

Rover wrote:
BTW Clarence, that "tail" you see coming off your dot means (gasp!) astigmatism. Try a new scrip for your glasses.
I do have astigmatism and get the "tail" you describe, but only on one of my red dot sights, an UltraDot HD-Micro. To my buddy who does not have astigmatism this is not the case - he sees a sharp dot with that sight, so it would seem to have something to do with my old-guy vision. I have two other sights, an UltraDot MatchDot II and an UltraDot MatchDot. Neither of these exhibit the tail when I use them...both are sharp and clear red dots with no tail. FWIW, as annoying as the tail is I can still score pretty well with it, but I'll take the other option anytime. I'll probably sell the HD-Micro eventually - though I can still use it and score quite well (relative to my own abilities), I think I do better with the crisp dot rendered by the other sights. I'll echo the recommendations for UltraDot sights. Excellent bang for the buck, and no issues with any of mine. All seem to hold their settings over time and use and all have been very reliable. The Match Dot II has the most options in terms of the view with four sizes of dot, as well as a dot-in-circle and a dot-in-circle with crosshairs neither of which I've really warmed up to. The Micro has the least options being a fixed size, but is also by far the smallest and lightest, so if that's an issue you might want to consider it. No excess battery drain on any of the three. I thin the II and Micro both have auto shut-off, while I have left on the standard MatchDot only to find it dead a week later when I discovered it.
-TT-

Post by -TT- »

jaxontarget wrote:
Rover wrote:
I do have astigmatism and get the "tail" you describe, but only on one of my red dot sights, an UltraDot HD-Micro. To my buddy who does not have astigmatism this is not the case - he sees a sharp dot with that sight, so it would seem to have something to do with my old-guy vision. I have two other sights, an UltraDot MatchDot II and an UltraDot MatchDot. Neither of these exhibit the tail when I use them...both are sharp and clear red dots with no tail.
It's true that different sights can have different images, but the root of the problem is definitely in the eye. The easiest way to prove this is to rotate the sight 90 degrees - the image won't change. If it were the sight causing the distortion, you'd see the shape rotate with it.

Annoying as heck, I know. Using an iris is a cool option, because it sharpens your vision without "twisting" the light as your astigmatism correction does. But as with everything, there are compromises...
xeye

Post by xeye »

good luck. I'm ten different eye glass prescriptions and never have gotten back to the round dot. I think it's because they can only grind lenses to the nearest 1/4 diopter and I must be in between.

Doc says it's because my eyeball isn't round enough