High Standard 106 citation trigger

Brought to you by Zero Bullet Company Inc.

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, Isabel1130

novagoldn

High Standard 106 citation trigger

Post by novagoldn »

Purchased used, cleaned, took it to the range, loaded and chambered and the trigger didn't work, seem not to set for firing. It did fire, total of five rounds, very sporadically. Obviously this was a big disappointment. Anyone have same experience, or have a few clues that I may check. Suggestions taken. Few Keys, the cartage chambered fine, ejection worked fine, firing pin worked, as evidence by expended rounds. Its just the trigger didn't seem to set?
Ed Hall

Re: High Standard 106 citation trigger

Post by Ed Hall »

I'm going by very limited High Standard experience, but here are some thoughts:

The first two things that come to mind are to check that there is enough "pre-travel" so that the sear bar can reset and make sure the overtravel adjustment (if, any) is not too close.

The next thing is to make sure this isn't a case where the hammer is riding the slide forward and really isn't (fully) cocked when you attempt to fire. If this is the case, you may need to seek a gunsmith.
Marc Orvin

Post by Marc Orvin »

Also, these triggers have a set screw in the trigger blade to adjust over travel. Back it out a full turn to see if this won't help the situation.
wes lorenz

Post by wes lorenz »

novagoldn,
Another view. The sear bar is softer than the slide or sear. The sear bar notch will wear and over-ride the sear hook or the sear bar disconnector face will wear and won't allow a reset. You can easily see wear and over-riding or reset problems with the grips, sideplate, and saftey removed. You may need a new sear bar.
Hope this helps,
Wes
Dr. Jim

Post by Dr. Jim »

Wes is right about the transfer bar. I had a 1974ish Victor as my first pistol and wore out three transfer bars in the two years that I had it, finally got fed up , sold it and have had a Unique DES69 ever since, and it has never broken or worn down any component. Also check that the tiny U spring that pushes the bar up is correctly in place.

Cheers Dr Jim
novagoldn

Post by novagoldn »

Ed, Marc, Wes and Dr, Jim I would like to thank you for all of your insights. This "Target Talk" is top n my list, including the biathlon forum. Hope you all have a great holiday!!!
mr alexander

Post by mr alexander »

novagoldn,

Bought a new High Standard Victor in 1977. Still have it and the original factory brochure that accompanied it. The very last page has instructions for the

operation and care of the pistol. Following are the word-for-word steps to adjust the overtravel stop setscrew that's located in the center of the trigger blade:

"Assure yourself once more that the gun is completely empty (both chamber and magazine). To obtain the most positive let off, place the hammer in cocked

position by retracting slide. Let trigger stop screw protrude far enough from the back of the trigger that, when the trigger is pulled, the hammer will not fall.

Then, while exerting pressure on the trigger, turn screw counter clockwise until the hammer falls. Turn the screw an additional 3/4 turn counter clockwise".

Am willing to bet that this procedure is the same one to follow on your 106 Citation. Hope this is of benefit to you. Merry Christmas!
novagoldn

Post by novagoldn »

Mr. Alexander,
took the pistol to a dear friend. Yes the only thing wrong was the adj screw in the trigger. Had to be backed a bit. I suspect the next thing that will go wrong is the shooter will trip on an empty casing. Thank you all!!! Always look to the simplest thing first!!!