How good is the new High Standard .22?

Brought to you by Zero Bullet Company Inc.

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, Isabel1130

bentrod

Post by bentrod »

I looked at them at the HS store at Camp Perry this summer, and liked what I saw. I remember shooting one in the Army back in the '60's, and I shot real well with it. How good are they today.
Misny

Post by Misny »

"The ole grey mare, she ain't what she used to be..." You won't find many of them in the hands of top shooters. I quit recommending them around 10 years ago when they started producing them in Houston. I saw way to many chronic problems with functioning even after being returned for repair several times. I used to own/shoot the old High Standards and liked them a lot.
yana

Post by yana »

Quality and finish is nowhere near the old one's mate. I have an old one, a Victor.
golfer47

Post by golfer47 »

The old ones are better.I have a military model citation.It still shoots very well. I just started shooting a walther gsp expert, the high standard just feels right in my hand.
Misny

Post by Misny »

I got a big surprise when I just read in "Shooting Sports USA" that Hi Standard pistols were the most popular pistols at Camp Perry this year. According to the article, 25% of the competitors were using them.

Post by Guest »

Misny,
They might have been plentiful on the line, but I'll bet that most were Hampden or Hartford High Standards. I've yet to see a Houston High Standard that would shoot well enough for anyone to take it to a match. The Houston quality control is not just poor, it is not there at all.

I've owned several of the older guns, both in Victor and Supermatic variations. All were great guns.

I owned one Houston gun for about 90 seconds. I ordered it direct from them when they first started out. It arrived with the front sight leaning to the left about 15 degrees. There were also a couple places where the blue was already worn off. This on a brand new pistol. I put it back in the box right there at the dealer and we sent it back. I've seen numerous other examples of the lack of skill at Houston.

There are still plenty of old Hampdens and Harfords out there. If you want a good pistol, keep an eye out for one of those.

YMMV
Marc
Misny

Post by Misny »

I agree Mark, that almost all of the Hi Standards used at Perry are probably the older ones. I was just surprised, since the old company went out of business in 1986, I believe, that there were so many still being used. I would bet that most of the S&W model 41's at Perry are the older ones as well or highly modified new ones.
mikeschroeder

Post by mikeschroeder »

Hi

Obviously somebody bought the name, but why would you spend any money on a "classic" bullseye shooter name, and not produce a bullseye shooter worth what you were charging. S&W 41's aren't what they used to be either, but from my understanding, they can be made to shoot fairly well. Everyone seems to respect the old High Standard name, why bother using it if you're not holding yourself to a "high standard"?

Sorry about the pun, really.

Mike
Wichita KS
Misny

Post by Misny »

I really don't know. Maybe at first they thought that they could build pistols that would have good triggers and sights and be accurate and reliable. I expect that the name has kept them in business despite the disappointing quality of their Houston-made pistols. They have branched out with a Phillipino-made 1911 and AR-15, I believe. Maybe they think that will keep them afloat.