New Shooter .32S&W Question

Brought to you by Zero Bullet Company Inc.

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, Isabel1130

arjuna70

New Shooter .32S&W Question

Post by arjuna70 »

I am new to Bullseye shooting and after messing around with a Ruger, I recently picked up a nice Hammerli SP20 with .32S&W WC conversion kit and Ultradot Match Dot. I love the grip and accuracy of the Hammerli. Overnight it seems like I've become competitive.

I haven't tried the conversion as yet and I'm not familiar with the .32S&W WC round. I wanted to know what recommendations people had for Ammunition that I can use for Match and/or Practice. Unfortunately, reloading is out of the question for the time being and I need to buy ammo. Ideally I'd like to have cost effective ammo that I can practice with and save some of the better stuff for a little range time and mostly Match.

Also is it realistic to use the same gun for .22lr and Centerfire .32S&W during a match? Thanks for the help.
Mike Taylor

Ammo for .32

Post by Mike Taylor »

Well, if you will be purchasing 'factory' ammo, as opposed to loading your own, your selection might be rather limited. The ammo has to be flush-seated wadcutter in order to fit in the Hammerli magazine. While there are a few companies that make this, you might find it difficult to actually find some.
Unfortunately, the SP20 has a reputation for being somewhat fragile (just search previous threads for discussion of the SP20 and cracked frames and grips).
Lapua .32 is popular, but it is on the 'hot' side and when I shot it in my SP20, I worried that it was too harsh (recoil) on the gun. Yes, the SP20 does have an adjustment (damper) for 'soft' or 'harsh' ammo, but even at its highest setting, I felt the gun was being battered. (Just for the record, I have shot Lapua in a Walther GSP, in an Hammerli P240, and in an Hammerl 280 and had no concern that it was too strong for those guns. I also shoot .45 hardball, so the recoil and blast of the .32 is of no concern per se.)
I found some Fiocchi .32 S&W long WC (in a purple box) that was significantly softer than the Lapua. I would suggest it as a suitable 'factory' ammo for the SP20. It measured about 625 fps on my chronograph as compared to about 760 fps for the Lapua, so you can appreciate it is softer.
There is a thread here on TT that refers to some tests of .32 ammo (can't find it at the moment). I think I recall that PMC was closer to Fiocchi than Lapua in velocity. It might also be a candidate for the SP20.
On another note, you will no doubt be told that the .32 S&W long is unsuitable for 50 yd bullseye (Conventional Pistol) unless you have a special barrel with a high twist rate. Do not worry about this. While testing of these special barrels does show an improvement in 50-yard groups, I am of the firm opinion (and experience) that the standard factory barrels of the 'Euroguns' can take you to Master class. They can shoot 2-inch groups at 50 yards - more than good enough for getting started (and for a good while after that).
Yes, it is realistic to use the same gun for .22 and CF. The SP20 does not switch between calibres quite as readily as a Walther GSP, but as long as you have five minutes or so between matches, it should not be a problem.
Let the flames begin....
Mike T.
Rob

Post by Rob »

In bullseye you have a 3 minute preperation period between the 22 stage and the centerfire stage to change your gun. No sighters. Its been a while but I'm sure the prep peroid for international pistol is longer and you get sighters to make sure everything is right. Remember, the trigger weights are different between the two events. so that technically should be adjusted too. When my wife got her 280 in 22 we waited and bought a complete 280 in 32 just for conviences sake. As far as cost effictive is concerned, maybe PMC ammo if they still make it, or Fiochi. Lapaua is expensive, but probably the best. Buying ammo for the 32 is going to be fairly expensive. One guy I know buys reloaded ammo from another shooter. I'm not crazy about reloading for another shooter.
Scott H.

Post by Scott H. »

Maybe we work at a more relaxed pace here, but there's always a break between the 22 and CF matches, and an even longer break between the CF and 45 matches.

If you're concerned, just explain to the match director that you might need a little extra time to switch uppers on your SP20. The "preperation period" doesn't start until the range officer says that it does, and I can't imagine that your hosts wouldn't give you some extra time.