new high standard

Brought to you by Zero Bullet Company Inc.

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, Isabel1130

mileaway

new high standard

Post by mileaway »

Hi everybody. I am sure that this question was already asked. But of all the forms what people write 90% of it is hearsay, is there something that really want is a problem Wrong with the new hi standard that's being made now. They don't like the service/or there is something wrong with the gun. They make a custom 22 it's supposed to me by the same person who made them when they were in Connecticut. I've been looking for any older one and it seems like everybody wants to retire on the price. So for what they are asking for them if the custom bull's-eye. if anybody know is is it any good.

Post by Guest »

Just my take on the so called "new" high standards,,,,,stay away,,far away.This is not here say, go to any "shooting line" and ask about the new high standards, and see what kind of response you get. The new company based in Texas has nothing to do with the old High Standard. There are MANY fine original High Standards out there for sale as of yet, especially on forums like Gunbroker. I myself have purchased a few from there, some of which were new in the box (unfired). You mentioned prices seemed high, maybe some will try and scalp you, but there are many fine examples out there right now in the 5 to 7 hundred dollar range, and worth every penny if you know what you are looking at. My opinion, get a Hamden made gun if you can, East Hartfords were ok too, but keep away from New Haven pistols, as there was never any quality control out of that plant. I would get a Supermatic Citation , Trophy, or Victor if you want a good pistol. These all have an adjustment features to the sear that can be handy to set proper weight. Yes my opinion is partial to High Standards ( the original ones) I have 17 of them , and have nothing but good to say about them all. When it comes to the money,,,,,remember,,,,you get what you pay for.
jackh

Post by jackh »

There are plenty bad reports on the Houston High Standard on the internet. Some are even from credible sources IMO. My own exposure to them is not good. There are also some good reports. I suggest staying away from them unless you can examine and test out the gun yourself.

The same thing for any used Connecticut made High Standard. Heavy use and shade tree smithing does always not show on the outside. On the flip side, a worn looking gun can be fine inside.

Most originals can be restored to their perfection if not abused too much. I have worked over several in my 37 years of shooting them. Remember the good ones are 25-50 years old. I wonder how the 208s will be doing in 25 years.
tleddy

Time passages...

Post by tleddy »

Now that you mention it, my 22 Giles goes back more than 30 years.

My ball gun was built by Lou Willing (Air Force armorer) in the '50's and my favorite 45 wad gun was built by Giles in the '60s

- damn, how time flies when you are having fun!!

Tillman
Walter

Post by Walter »

I bought one when they first came out.
It didn't feed. I called the factory and they sent me some new mags free of charge. The new mags worked.
There is no comparison with the trigger to a real High Standard. The real one has a fine smooth trigger.