Mystique of the S&W Model 52?

Brought to you by Zero Bullet Company Inc.

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, Isabel1130

Jerry Keefer

Re: Mystique of the S&W Model 52?

Post by Jerry Keefer »

Here are two more.. Cutting the upper lugs
Cutting and contouring the lower lug and barrel/hood radius.
Jerry Keefer

Post by Jerry Keefer »

Cutting chamber samples today.. Here's what I have been referring to.. The slug on the right is from a Shilen .357 dia. 8 lands and grooves bore..The slug on the left is from a factory model #52 .355 dia. 5 lands and grooves bore. The slug is a Star .357 diameter HBWC. The distortion is very evident.. Which projectile will be more accurate at 50 yards..??
Jerry Keefer

Post by Jerry Keefer »

I see another 52 unforgiving thread, so I thought I should update the progress on this 52.
50 shots thru the target. 3 shots upper right at 1&2 oclock.. still score ten ring. Easily holds ten ring.. I have a 10 twist on order, which I believe will further improve the gun. The shooter is posting regular long line scores 92/94 with a 96 best at this point. About 1000 rounds thru the gun so far.
The barrel is a 14 twist Shilen.. The problem with the 52 is the barrel, the .355 bore dia, the locking method, and the bushing.
RandomShotz

Post by RandomShotz »

Jerry Keefer wrote:The problem with the 52 is the barrel, the .355 bore dia, the locking method, and the bushing.
I am a little confused about the term "unforgiving" as applied to the Model 52. I had assumed that it would relate to the ergonomics and that an unforgiving gun would be inherently accurate but very sensitive to consistency of hold or other factors under the control of the shooter.

I can't argue with the images of the deformed bullets. I can see how the locking lug doesn't have as much bearing area as it could have, but I'm not sure if that would less consistent than the way you make it or merely less durable. However, since these are problems inherent in the gun itself I would have thought that the result would be an inaccurate or inconsistent firearm, not a firearm that shoots well but demands a lot from the shooter. Is the reputation of the 52 demonstrably undeserved? Does you have a ransom rest test of the gun with an original barrel that shows how these defects in design detrimentally affect accuracy?

Roger

BTW, in case I neglected to mention it, I really admire your workmanship - I'd love to be able to do that. I'm still working up the confidence to fit a Briley barrel and bushing I just bought to my Springfield .45
Jerry Keefer

Post by Jerry Keefer »

Sa-tevo wrote:Jerry,
What are your plans for the bushing and will your new barrel have the dog knot like the S&W, where the barrel fits in the bushing? I'm guessing you haven't finished the front of the barrel shown.

Stephen
Stephen;
Here is a pic or two of the muzzle end. I did not do the S&W radius.. It is much like the 1911 muzzle fit up. Because the barrel is longer than stock, and the bushing tolerance is quite tight, I had to reduce the muzzle tip, just prior to the large diameter, to allow clearance for the barrel to slip into the slide.. It almost does not fit..:) but that's a good thing..:)
cgroppi

Post by cgroppi »

Just a comment about the bullet being in the barrel for a micro or nanosecond. Uhh, no.

710 fps = 8520 inches per second

so for a 4" barrel, the bullet is in the barrel for 4"/8520 inches per second = 0.00047 seconds. This is 470 microseconds or 470,000 nanoseconds.

In any case, not long, but WAY longer than a nanosecond. The speed of light is approximately 1 foot per nanosecond.
Jerry Keefer

Post by Jerry Keefer »

cgroppi wrote:Just a comment about the bullet being in the barrel for a micro or nanosecond. Uhh, no.

710 fps = 8520 inches per second

so for a 4" barrel, the bullet is in the barrel for 4"/8520 inches per second = 0.00047 seconds. This is 470 microseconds or 470,000 nanoseconds.

In any case, not long, but WAY longer than a nanosecond. The speed of light is approximately 1 foot per nanosecond.
Great..:):):):) Thanks...that clarifies it greatly.. and the comparison I was making between the two calibers, 38/45 is basically the same, and that barrel time has nothing to do with the inaccuracy / unforgiving claims.
jmdavis

Post by jmdavis »

I never expect to own a Model 52, but I really like reading about this work and these experiments. Jerry, you have the mind of a scientist combined with the skills of a tool and die maker. That is a rare combination. Thanks for the insights.
ser2711

Post by ser2711 »

Is a real fantastic job you have done.. Did you made that only for yourself or do you think in future to make a small production to sell?.. I use S&W 52-1 in classic competition in Italy..Centerfire 30x30 at 25 meters