timed and rapid cadence

Brought to you by Zero Bullet Company Inc.

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, Isabel1130

richrd

timed and rapid cadence

Post by richrd »

do you guys shoot the same timing in both stages or do you take more time in "timed"?
thanks
desben

Re: timed and rapid cadence

Post by desben »

I take more time for timed, around 15 seconds. I perfect my sight alignment slightly more, and I pay particular attention to a smooth and slow trigger pull. It results in a higher score, for me. But I'm just a sharpshooter; see what the experts and masters have to say.
C. Perkins

Post by C. Perkins »

You have a certain amount of time to complete a string of fire.
Take advantage of it and work on your timing.
You have more time than you think in timed fire.
Rapid fire you have to be on the ball, so to speak.
I have an app called "bullseye timer" which will help in getting your head in the rhythm.

Clarence
D.R. badge #99
Sa-tevo

Post by Sa-tevo »

Your app sounds interesting, as I am trying to come to grips with Timed and Rapid Fire. Could you tell us more about it?
crankythunder

Post by crankythunder »

I use about 8 seconds in Rapid Fire.

I use about 16 seconds in Timed fire although sometimes (very rarely) I grab a second breath after the third or fourth shot if the dot is not settling down.

Regards,
Cranky
dronning

Post by dronning »

Sa-tevo wrote:Your app sounds interesting, as I am trying to come to grips with Timed and Rapid Fire. Could you tell us more about it?
I believe it's the same app I have by David Divinshe he has a version for iPhone and Android, I have the iPhone version - works great. I plug it into my headset at the range and no one else hears me. Or if there are several of us I use battery operated blue tooth speaker and several of us can practice at the same time.

iPhone
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/bullsey ... 20809?mt=8

Android
https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... seye&hl=en

- Dave
Certified Safety Instructor: Rifle & Pistol
They that give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
~ Ben Franklin
pistol champ

Post by pistol champ »

Remember to aim each shot especially the first one. If you just shoot the first shot just as the target turns and it is not a 10 you are not going to get a 100. Don't worry about how much time you are taking or not using, the score is what counts. I may not be happy only getting 4 shots off in a rapid fire string for 40 points but would be really unhappy getting all five off and getting only 30 points and making bad habits at the same time. If you can not get 5 aimed shots off in 10 seconds this is something that you need to train for. There are many training drills on how to improve your rapid fire. Timed fire gives you a little more time to aim so that you can build up your X count. One thing to remember is some people's bodies start to stress with out breathing for 20 seconds so if you are in this group try taking less time for timed or taking a mid breath. The great shooters do not always have a consistent cadence but they always aim each shot.
C. Perkins

Post by C. Perkins »

The Bullseye Timer I am using is the one by Anatoly Andrianov.
I am sure anything close to it would work fine.

Clarence
mr alexander

Post by mr alexander »

Once talked to a Master Class shooter in our weekly Bullseye League about this very topic. His view? Shoot your Timed in the same cadence as your Rapid Fire.

He felt doing this simplified the whole match; you only shoot Slow Fire once and Rapid Fire twice. For him, shooting Timed as if it was Rapid, provided the practice

and confidence needed when the "real" Rapid Fire event came up. He did say that if your cadence was off in Timed, then certainly do use whatever seconds that

may remain in order to finish off the string successfully. No need to rush and spray shots needlessly when then clock is still running. I have found that my Timed

scores are better if I don't use the full amount of time that's allowed. If using the full 20 seconds, I think I make a detrimental effort in trying to make things too

perfect. Shooting a bit quicker forces me to readily accept what's happening during the string. Doing it this way, a better score is usually the result. As

always, "Your mileage may vary"!
Rover

Post by Rover »

That sounds right to me.
jabberwo

Post by jabberwo »

Personally I feel I should use all the time I have to make sure I approach the shot correctly. I fire Timed like I'm shooting 5 slow fire shots without putting the gun down. After recoil jumps the gun up to the left, I automatically move it over; then I come down on the bull starting to increase trigger pressure, just like I do for all my slow fire shots.

I get the first shot off just after the targets turn/buzzer not by jerking the trigger when they turn/buzz. But, from practicing with the commands as MP3s on my phone so that I know when to take my arm up so that my normal slow fire raise, pause, lower, pause, lower slowly over the bull and increase pressure sets up the trigger to release not too long, but not at, the buzzer. I don't know, but I probably let the pressure of air out of my lungs when shoot the first round of Timed and Rapid; we don't need to breath for 10 or 20 seconds if we are in shape.

You can find the MP3 at http://www.bullseyepistol.com/rangecmd.htm.

I'm not a master, but I'm trying, 283 average in my indoor league so far this year.

cheers,
Jab
conradin

Post by conradin »

I was taught that one should shoot the timed stage. as if it is the rapid stage.
oldcaster

Post by oldcaster »

The AMU had us take all the time there was and we would practice timed or rapid fire all day when we did it. Usually there were only 4 shooters at a time in practice and they sounded like they all shot the exact same time. When you get the proper rhythm the first shot will break just a fraction of a second after the target turned and the last shot will be a very short time before they turn back. Unless a person shoots a lot, this kind of cadence will be problematic and here 50 years later, I mess it all up even though I know exactly what I am supposed to do. Typically the scores were better for timed than they were for rapid, especially X counts which means the time mattered. What is best for a person who can't put that much time in probably varies with the shooters level and age so it is pretty much whatever works best for the individual.
jackh

Post by jackh »

Your cadence, or better said, rhythm, will take care of itself if you strive to shoot the string where everything clicks. ("Clicks" in a figurative sense)

Your speed of triggering and sighting, breath, and subconscious mental flow will be on cruise....and there should be no conscious mental action except as an observer

How to get there is the $64,000 question.
Isabel1130

Post by Isabel1130 »

I used to think imposing a rhythm was a bad idea.

Now I have kind of changed my mind.

With enough drill, rapid fire becomes all about your unconscious mind, knowing how long ten seconds is, and moving your trigger finger independently, and quickly, without a lot of attention to dressing up the shot.

Moving my wrist, or hesitating on the trigger yields a far worse shot than imperfect aim.
I have shot some great rapid fire when I could not see the target at all because of the rain.

It is a huge temptation to mistrust your hold, and either grab the gun, or move your wrist to stop that crazy little dot from jumping around in the black so much.
oldcaster

Post by oldcaster »

Exactly. Rapid fire simply is knowing that the gun must go off in around every two seconds (depending on how quick your first shot was after the target turned) and from there, sight alignment is all that matters because once you have a rhythm the gun will go off in that sequence regardless. If using a dot, then all that matters is sincerely keeping your attention on the center of the target or on the dot depending which method you are using because concentrating on when the gun will go off is inconsequential because your rhythm says it will regardless. The most important aspect is probably keeping your elbow and wrist stiff so the gun will automatically go back to very near the exact same spot every time without effort.