Aparthralia and the lack of firearms

old, good http://www.midcoast.com/~pilkguns/bbs/

Moderators: rexifelis, pilkguns

Rob Potter

Aparthralia and the lack of firearms

Post by Rob Potter »

Australia's firearms restrictions are just begining, which is not a good thing - but we need to take our blinkers off and take a look at the big picture. Firearms are only one of a number of activities and rights that are being eroded at an increasingly alarming rate. The Prime Minister seems to have manouvered himself into a position of ultimate power - what he wants he gets - if the state governments do not toe the line, he says they will loose federal government funding, so they all just buckle and give in. Now Mr Howard (or should we say Chairman John) says the opposition is creating too much opposition in the senate when it comes to passing legislation - so he wants to change the rules so he can push through the legislation he wants without too much opposition. This is a real worry.
Back to the firearms. None of the shooting disciplins seems to want to work together even now - which means we really are stuffed. It is sickening even now to have to listen to the "them and us" mentality, and it doesn't affect me, and Oh well, I am only loosing one pistol.
Buyback prices on banned pistols are only very average. Buyback prices on non-banned pistols seem very high, which is encouraging more people to hand them in, along with their licence. This reduces our numbers further, and takes a whole lot more pistols out of the system. If you hand them all in, you cannot apply for another licence for at least 5 years - yet in a newsletter from the dealers association this week, the time span was quoted at 10 years. Don't be fooled, if you hand your licence in this time for financial gain, you will be very lucky to ever get another licence.
If most of the apathetic people I get in the shop each day spent as much effort getting up their members of parliament, as they do moaning their arse off at me, we would have a lot better chance of beating this. But I guess that would mean actually having to do something - so the authorities really have nothing to worry about.
Rob Potter
Potter Firearms
Brisbane, Australia
potter-at-powerup.com.au.41927.0
Pradeep

Re: Aparthralia and the lack of firearms

Post by Pradeep »

If someone takes the "hand everything in and no license for 5 years" option, and then applies for a permit in 5 years, does that mean that they would be classed as a new license holder, and would have to go thru the gun safety course, and be a "probationary" member of a pistol club (i.e one air and one .22 after 6/12 months)?
Not that I would do this, but just curious. Of course the side effect of such things would be the reduction in members of pistol clubs, whittle us down to just a handful and then when they ban the lot there won't be many of us left to complain.

: Australia's firearms restrictions are just begining, which is not a good thing - but we need to take our blinkers off and take a look at the big picture. Firearms are only one of a number of activities and rights that are being eroded at an increasingly alarming rate. The Prime Minister seems to have manouvered himself into a position of ultimate power - what he wants he gets - if the state governments do not toe the line, he says they will loose federal government funding, so they all just buckle and give in. Now Mr Howard (or should we say Chairman John) says the opposition is creating too much opposition in the senate when it comes to passing legislation - so he wants to change the rules so he can push through the legislation he wants without too much opposition. This is a real worry.
: Back to the firearms. None of the shooting disciplins seems to want to work together even now - which means we really are stuffed. It is sickening even now to have to listen to the "them and us" mentality, and it doesn't affect me, and Oh well, I am only loosing one pistol.
: Buyback prices on banned pistols are only very average. Buyback prices on non-banned pistols seem very high, which is encouraging more people to hand them in, along with their licence. This reduces our numbers further, and takes a whole lot more pistols out of the system. If you hand them all in, you cannot apply for another licence for at least 5 years - yet in a newsletter from the dealers association this week, the time span was quoted at 10 years. Don't be fooled, if you hand your licence in this time for financial gain, you will be very lucky to ever get another licence.
: If most of the apathetic people I get in the shop each day spent as much effort getting up their members of parliament, as they do moaning their arse off at me, we would have a lot better chance of beating this. But I guess that would mean actually having to do something - so the authorities really have nothing to worry about.
: Rob Potter
: Potter Firearms
: Brisbane, Australia

akihmsa

Re: Aparthralia and the lack of firearms

Post by akihmsa »

Sorry to hear of your country's fate Rob. It started years ago when you fellows accepted being licensed and registered. The Social Communists here wish to do the same. The blueprint for confiscation works whereever it is implimented. The timetable between registration and confiscation veries upon the the personalities involved, but registration always leads to confiscation. There is no other reason to register except to confiscate. Those who do not read history are doomed to repeat it. Unfortunately your quality of life is going down the tubes just as it has in England. You already see that many other freedoms are going away. Your fellow countrymen have not opened their eyes in large numbers yet. I have been reading about a quiet outmigration by many upper middle class in England to places less oppressive to personal freedom. : Australia's firearms restrictions are just begining, which is not a good thing - but we need to take our blinkers off and take a look at the big picture.

Leonard

It woudn't have made any difference.....

Post by Leonard »

Currently consulting to a major Federal goverment department in Canberra, I know that Howard, Sen Ellison and the Attorney General received an avalanche of mail from aggrieved shooters.....including mine....No heed was paid to it ( apart from sending out a form letter in response ) because they didn't have to.
However, as Rob has accurately put it, Howard now has a position of absolute power. States have to do what he wants otherwise funding gets cut....
Complaining to your MP would not have made an iota of difference as shooters and sympathizers are in a minority in every electorate.